May 16, 2019, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Removing old decals on iron on covering

how can this be done? Is there a decal remover fluid? I have tried methyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol. They discolour the decal and it gets brittle but still sticks.
Rusty
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 05:42 PM
I've never tried it, but gasket cleaner for stubborn adhesives.
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
May 19, 2019, 01:59 PM
Is this a peel-and-stick decal, or a water-slide decal (I doubt it's the latter as decals rarely adhere to shrinkfilms)?

If the former, as you peel it back, dribble a little acetone or dope/lacquer thinner on the adhesive to dissolve it. Do test the thinner on a hidden part of the covering, though. I don't know of any shrinkfilm acetone, etc., will attack, but one never knows.

CD
May 21, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thread OP

Removing old decals from iron-on covering

Redbird 28 update .. I used acetone and the decals curled up and were able to be wiped off with paper towels. These decals were over 30 yrs old and so is the covering. The covering shows no obvious damage from the acetone. Just take your time. I used Q tips and paper towels.
Good luck.
Rusty
May 22, 2019, 07:16 PM
Dinosaur
Thanks for the followup Redbird.
I was going to recommend a product by 3M marketed as, 'Adhesive Remover'. I've had good luck with it for a number of similar situations as yours. Its available wherever 3M products are sold such as Ace Hardware stores.

I'm one of those anal retentive guys who remove the previous year's auto license tag decals before applying the new one. The 3M product has worked well for that as well as removing decals and stickers from motorcycle frames without damage to the underlying surface. I also used it to remove some factory stick-on decals from a WWII warbird ARF before repainting it. It had no effect on the heat shrink covering but lifted the decals with a single application following the directions on the can.

Tom

Quick Reply