May 16, 2019, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Splitting a channel into several functions

Throttle, Elevator, Aileron, Rudder, Flaps, Gear, Brakes, Smoke, Lights 9 channels total, would it not be good to be able to split non essential ie smoke and lights across one channel? going to buy an Arduino Nano today to see if I can do it for say smoke and lights
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
int pin = 6; // Check what pin to use
int low = 10; // LED pin low
int med = 11; // LED pin med
int high = 12; // LED pin high
int duration; // Duration of the pulse

void setup()
{

pinMode(pin, INPUT);
pinMode(low, OUTPUT);
pinMode(med, OUTPUT);
pinMode(high, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{

duration = pulseIn(pin, HIGH);
if (duration > 1100 && duration <1300)

digitalWrite(low, LOW);

else

digitalWrite(low, HIGH);

if (duration > 1400 && duration <1600)

digitalWrite(med, LOW);

else

digitalWrite(med, HIGH);

if (duration > 1700 && duration <1900)

digitalWrite(high, LOW);

else

digitalWrite(high, HIGH);

}
May 22, 2019, 09:17 PM
That second post is all greek to me. But it can be done without being a software enginner.

If you have Futaba you can buy a MPDX module (or 2) that splits one channel into 8. Each channel is still fully proportional but only updates every 8th frame of data. This means that you would not want to use them for primary flight functions, but they are great for things like lights, smoke, gear canopy open and anything else that does not need instant control. I am not sure if they still work for the newest radios.

For channels that are just ON/OFF, you could use channel switches set to different thresholds so that different functions would be turned on depending on the position of one channel.
May 31, 2019, 09:57 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but a servo can not have more than two functions. These would be forward and reverse. Just a grammar error using 'function'.?
May 31, 2019, 02:05 PM
There is a lot of ways to can do this without a computer and software. A server arm can operate a smoke on and off switch in one direction and the lights on and off in the other direction. Similar to the Futaba example above, Spektrum radios and certain receivers use an XBUS module that adds 8 channels out of one high resolution channel.
May 31, 2019, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool

For channels that are just ON/OFF, you could use channel switches set to different thresholds so that different functions would be turned on depending on the position of one channel.
I don't follow you? if your receiver outputs the position of a servo how can you use it for multiple functions without interrogating it? or are you talking about with a quad and a flight controller?
My idea is for fixed wing aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor.Singleton
Correct me if I'm wrong but a servo can not have more than two functions. These would be forward and reverse. Just a grammar error using 'function'.?
A receiver outputs a pulsed signal from say 800 to 2200 if you interrogate this you can use it to switch other devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpellicciotti
There is a lot of ways to can do this without a computer and software. A server arm can operate a smoke on and off switch in one direction and the lights on and off in the other direction. Similar to the Futaba example above, Spektrum radios and certain receivers use an XBUS module that adds 8 channels out of one high resolution channel.
Why on earth would you bother with a servo and a switch? this also limits you to only one on at a time, what if you wanted landing gear doors, then doors and wheels down, mechanical devices are prone to failure too, people still use Futaba?

Here is the basic working example, I have changed it a bit now to give more functions
Last edited by Coopznz; May 31, 2019 at 03:39 PM.
May 31, 2019, 09:12 PM
You have 3 position switches. that means that that channel already has 3 easy positions the servo or channel can be in, each of these positions could activate a function. By using a program mix you could get even more positions for that channel.

You can get creative with Y cables to. For instance you can tie landing lights to always come on when the gear are down by using a Y cable to the light switch.

Yes people still use Futaba, it can already do exactly what you are wanting to do. in 40+ years of flying Futaba I never had a crash or even so much as a glitch that I could honestly blame on Futaba. Lots of crashes that could be blamed on the Futaba holder though. Although I believe that there very few crashes that can actually be blamed on any brand of TX, there are some, but not many. I have yet to dream up anything that I wished my TX could do that it was not able to do.
Last edited by Flyinfool; May 31, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Jun 01, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool
You have 3 position switches. that means that that channel already has 3 easy positions the servo or channel can be in, each of these positions could activate a function. By using a program mix you could get even more positions for that channel.

You can get creative with Y cables to. For instance you can tie landing lights to always come on when the gear are down by using a Y cable to the light switch.

Explain light switch? do you mean install a micro switch running off a servo

Yes people still use Futaba, it can already do exactly what you are wanting to do. in 40+ years of flying Futaba I never had a crash or even so much as a glitch that I could honestly blame on Futaba. Lots of crashes that could be blamed on the Futaba holder though. Although I believe that there very few crashes that can actually be blamed on any brand of TX, there are some, but not many. I have yet to dream up anything that I wished my TX could do that it was not able to do.
I found Futaba too restrictive, now I use OpenTX and its far more practical I have owned a Futaba10C and a Futaba14SG

I don't think you understand what the bit of kit I am using can do, this is not the radio end but the output from the receiver being able to split this into multiple uses.

I can make one channel operate several servos all to preset positions, I can operate say 8 digital outputs on or off with just one simple board
Jun 06, 2019, 10:02 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Just found this thread. Great idea! I'll have to look into this with one of my micro controllers. I also use OpenTX, so it could easily be supplemented with LUA.
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!

Quick Reply