May 21, 2019, 05:17 PM
I think that’s where I’m at with my NXT. I mean, it’s only a sailplane, I’ve flown everything from helis to 3d to freestyle quads but I’m finding it rather a handful.

I’m not sailplane experienced enough to know how to get the best setup but looking back my Snipes were far easier. Trying to fly tidy circles with the NXT i’m finding quite the challenge. And I think in desperation I’m changing too many things in one go each time at the field to try nail a decent base set up. But I’m not chasing planes anymore and sticking with the 1 make for quite a while now. Heck I think a Blaster 3 still might still be more than enough plane for me.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2019, 05:48 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Mark,

I think the NXT is a pretty quick handling plane so I understand. When I came from flying more docile handing airframes to the Snipe or NXT, it took me awhile to smooth out my flying too. Also, a couple years ago I found my NXT’s smoothed out with the addition some positive aileron differential. What are they set to? I never have measured it but basically, I use about 50% more up than down and adjust to roll rate taste. It’s about one full roll for a second and a half of full aileron deflection. This is as personal of an adjustment as you’ll find. Everyone is different.

Also, this year, I started having just a little rudder mixed into the ailerons and again, I think the plane smoothed out.... particularly when turning tight in low level lift.

My CG is set at 68mm. It’s still a fairly quick reacting plane and because of that I use about 35% expo. This keeps the plane pretty solid.... last but not least, I have my elevator adjusted with no more than the maximum travel I need at any time. In other words, it’s a slowish elevator because I think that’s the most important control surface to fly smoothly. It’s still plenty to pull a loop just not a tight one.

One of the things that can fool you, is what the plane looks like at different angles to you on the ground. Example: When coming home from down wind, if the plane isn’t really high, I try to adjust the elevator such that all I can see of the wing is the thin line of the leading edge. This ensures that the nose isn’t getting pushed up by the wind and preventing my forward progress. Of course there is a balance here but you get the idea.... My NXTs come home from down wind better than any plane I’ve ever owned.
May 21, 2019, 06:19 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
If after you spend some time working with your NXT you find that it’s still a handful, then you might prefer a Flitz 2 or BAMF. Those planes are very stable, in my opinion.
May 21, 2019, 06:28 PM
Yeah that's the first thing I noticed about the NXT on the first flight, I thought 'wow! this thing is gonna zip back from downwind' where my snipes came back, but I walked to pick the plane up more often than not (but inexperience comes into play there too). I like my models feeling really crisp and quick on the sticks, but I feel I'm chasing the NXT around a bit. My nose has always dropped In turns so I have always added reverse diff as I thought that's what it needed, but I'll try positive next time out, I don't know why I haven't really tried it before. When coming back from downwind, I try to always see a bit of my top wing colour, I have it trimmed in speed so usually have to hold the nose up a tad rather than have to push it down.

CG I'm 65-66ish, I think 70mm comes out right on the back of servo well cut out? so it's a easy way to quickly eyeball it, I usually do the upside down on the tip of a screwdriver trick. but I've come to think being so precise it pointless.

I'm not experienced enough to get the best from them, but I think I can tell a handling difference between the NXT and Snipe, or at least it feels like it to me.

And all the top planes fly awful when I'm on the sticks haha.
May 21, 2019, 06:58 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Just set it where it feels pretty good and fly the #@%t out of it. You’ll get use to it and when you do, you’ll love it.
May 21, 2019, 07:11 PM
RC Groups needs a like button.
May 21, 2019, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Just set it where it feels pretty good and fly the #@%t out of it. You’ll get use to it and when you do, you’ll love it.
pretty sure I said the same thing to Mark last week best advice you can get!!!
May 21, 2019, 07:42 PM
Haha indeed mate, the advice is very much appreciated. I almost said for once I'm not gonna buy a new plane, but what I should say is for once, I'm not gonna buy a new design....
May 22, 2019, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Haha indeed mate, the advice is very much appreciated. I almost said for once I'm not gonna buy a new plane, but what I should say is for once, I'm not gonna buy a new design....
I'm sure that you can easily find a new midern design fir sale under the classifieds (Vortex 3, NXT, CX5 etc...) there are enough people who bought them and are selling them because of whatever reasons...

But as long as you don't compete AND fly the s#@t out of the plane of your choice, it wouldn't really matter
May 22, 2019, 06:48 AM
Here in the UK Mike Stern is still doing the damage with his NXT's, of course though, he's flown the plane a few seasons now and knows it well. And he happens to be a very good sailplane flyer too.

I'm gonna be adding another to mine so I have a pair to stick with for quite a while. Still so much more other stuff I need to learn before I can start chasing planes again.
May 22, 2019, 10:34 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
Please please please read GT's sticky on airplane setup. If your NXT has bad habits entering and exiting turns, it's not set up correctly. I'll see if I can scratch up a link.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mming-of-a-DLG
Last edited by tom43004; May 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added Link
May 22, 2019, 10:58 AM
Another vote for GT's set up thread. It was a total game changer for me.
May 22, 2019, 11:39 AM
That’s pretty much what I use, without taking this thread off topic, I’ve posted a few times before that I don’t find the diff test works for me. Even going to the extreme ends of both ways I struggle to see the difference. It wasn't so bad with the snipe but more pronounced with this NXT. I just fly even throws now or s touch more down aileron, and I’m a bit ocd so they travel the exact same values left/right.
May 22, 2019, 12:46 PM
I've never had much joy with ail diff. I have tried it at either end of the scale and do not notice much difference either in a straight line waggle test or during thermal turns. CG has much more effect. I was recently not quite getting on with my Revolution. I move the CG forward a few mm and it suddenly fell in to the groove I like and it felt like the best DLG I have. Then I smashed it in a freak/stupid accident.
May 22, 2019, 12:46 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
Please please please read GT's sticky on airplane setup. If your NXT has bad habits entering and exiting turns, it's not set up correctly. I'll see if I can scratch up a link.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mming-of-a-DLG
I have never read that before.... Thanks, Tom. I'm going to follow that process and see what I think as opposed to what I've gradually come to over the years of setting up my planes on my own.

Quick Reply