May 16, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Comparing the VQ and Phoenix SBD Dauntless

Anyone here have experience with both the VQ and Phoenix SBD Dauntless models? They both look like decent ARF's with pros and cons to each one, and both are priced about the same. I'd like to set one up for 4S electric power as I have several 4S 5000 batteries at my disposal. I like the realistic dive flaps/speed brakes and the covering material on the VQ model, but after reading a little bit about them, it seems like the Phoenix is built better but lacks some details that the VQ offers. I have no problem adding my own scale details, it's one of my favorite parts of this hobby.

I wouldn't be using the dive flaps as I'm limited to 6 channels for now. But they sure look cool even when not functional. This would be my first step beyond BNF foam planes.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 09:57 PM
DFS#000178
I've got a buddy that's got the VQ and I've taken a close look at the Seagull both boxed and built and I honestly think the VQ looks better. The only real problem with the VQ as far as scale goes is the wheels face inboard instead of outboard and you'd have to modify the gear mounts quite a bit to get them to properly retract without using offset struts.

The VQ, in my opinion, has a more attractive color scheme and the printed covering is really nice. It has a more scale outline all in all. As-noted, the VQ can also set up the split dive flaps, the Seagull doesn't have that option.

I'd go with the VQ.
May 17, 2019, 06:24 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I have VQ model but the FW190 ....

Note that the covering is a Self Adhesive Vinyl style and looks great. But after a while - odd seams / edges start to creep that are exposed to the sun and you get thin lines of bare wood show. You cannot like Oracover / Solarfilm etc. pull it back and reseal.
May 19, 2019, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm certainly leaning towards the VQ model. Between the dive flaps and the detailed covering, it's worth the effort to make the improved wing joiners that the VQ model apparently needs. Now hopefully Hobbyking will get them back in stock soon.

Quick Reply