Nov 25, 2019, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
still some minor fabrication work to do. needed a change of scenery. started to apply some color. This will be new application for myself. Going with latex paints, first time for me. I will spray with HVLP gun. Read up some articles by scale guys. Dilute with windshield washer fluid vs water for spray application and add Floetrol to assist in flow and ease of covering. Started with interior. I figured I would rather experiment there than on covered surfaces. got it sprayed. light gray military look. once we get final main color (olive drab)applied in the future), the interior will stand out. gotta love ease of clean up. I do need to get a small touch up gun. The larger 20oz cup makes it tough to shoot inside the cockpit and maneuvering to get all pieces covered. also got seats sprayed. cheated there. Krylon rattle can. was available and suits the purpose. will look to start on downsides of elevators next to see how if sprays on coverite supershrink. scale guy(s) swear by it. just go with thin multiple coats and allow drying period or cheat with heat gun. good to start some color after 6 months of building. couple pics of progress
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2019, 01:30 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Looking real good!
Nov 25, 2019, 02:19 PM
Awesome. FYI, Harbor Freight has a small airbrush set with small bottles for around ten bucks. Works great for latex.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys and thanks for info on airbrush. My HVLP is a Harbor Freight special from early 2000. still works great for what I need. sometimes the "disposable" tools work out in longevity as well.
Nov 28, 2019, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Productive Thanksgiving Day. Took care of yard raking chores early. Family went into brunch food coma. I headed to the garage. Having dinner later so time to play. Tackled more paint. temps in mid 60's and no wind. out to the driveway. Sprayed all the downside surfaces of wings, elevators, bottom of fuse and cowl. First did light coat as the articles then added a second medium coat. They say do a final wet coat. I will await these first two to dry thoroughly and then decide. Ran into issue on bottom of nose. got out the wet rags and wiped it all off. beauty of latex, came right off. Kinda of mixed thoughts on spraying latex. mainly getting right consistency. Also used to spraying other type paints. overall worked out good so far. some pics
Last edited by RagwingFan; Nov 28, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
Dec 11, 2019, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
not a lot of work being done with holidays and priorities. I did get 3rd and final coat of white sprayed. soon we will see real color. worked on window trim pieces for rear cabin area. made from plastic sheets. won't need for a while but picking away.
Dec 14, 2019, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
Full day in the garage with major step accomplished. Painted fuse, tail feathers, wing panels, cowl and window trims. still will need to do some additional touch up type paint but they will be quick and easy with airbrush. pleased with the color. Benjamin Moore Exterior latex Dark Olive. I was concerned it was going to be too dark for my thoughts. bunch of attached various pics of progress.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Dec 14, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Dec 15, 2019, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
no pics today. Nice to have bulk of paint work done. The fun of starting final assembly begins. Did some tinkering. glued rudder to vertical, attached tail wheel and assembly permanently, attached flying wires, installed rear cabin wall pieces, attached elevator horn and pushrod, painted main strut fittings so I can install on wings, touched up paint on flying wires, primed aileron control horns so I can paint to match and attach to ailerons. several little things but moving along getting closer.
Dec 15, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan
Full day in the garage with major step accomplished. Painted fuse, tail feathers, wing panels, cowl and window trims. still will need to do some additional touch up type paint but they will be quick and easy with airbrush. pleased with the color. Benjamin Moore Exterior latex Dark Olive. I was concerned it was going to be too dark for my thoughts. bunch of attached various pics of progress.
Awesome! She is going to be a beauty! Can't wait to see her all dressed up with graphics.
Dec 15, 2019, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
well forgot minor item accomplished, does come with pic. simulated anti-slip step tread. wet and dry sand paper fits the ticket.
Dec 16, 2019, 08:03 PM
Beauty!
Dec 26, 2019, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
Thanks taildragger1589. she is coming together.

fun stuff ahead. Graphics arrived from Callie. Great job and can't how reasonable. Hopefully, I will be able to sneak in some time to apply here between holidays.
Dec 26, 2019, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Snuck in a little fun. few of the graphics installed. more to do.
Dec 27, 2019, 12:54 PM
That really looks sharp.
Do you use windex to slide them around for alignment?
Dec 27, 2019, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
taildragger,

I did the windex trick years ago on my first experience with vinyl graphics. I have done them all dry since then. I square up the graphics so I have a visual and then of course several eye sightings. I have used tape to help alignment. generally I cut back a leading edge or corner of the backing paper, align it and stick it down. I then fold the graphic back over itself peeling away the remaining backer paper. I rolled the graphic down "squeegying" out as it rolls out to prevent air bubbles. sorry a pic or two probably would help visualize.

I like the dry application as once done, its done and no worrying about waiting on evaporation etc. yes, takes a little more time initially and be ready and committed once roll it out.

Quick Reply