Aug 12, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
put in a quick hour or so this pm after work. made rabbit joint around the cabin rear side windows and right side cabin window so I can recess the window material vs standing "off" on the side of the fuse. the right side cabin will have a simulated door skin (w/proper window opening shape) laid over fuse side. still need to work on left side cabin window. I need to study the full scale cabin window first.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan
put in a quick hour or so this pm after work. made rabbit joint around the cabin rear side windows and right side cabin window so I can recess the window material vs standing "off" on the side of the fuse. the right side cabin will have a simulated door skin (w/proper window opening shape) laid over fuse side. still need to work on left side cabin window. I need to study the full scale cabin window first.
Very nice work! She will be a winner!
Aug 13, 2019, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
worked on some simulated scale details. cabin rear windows exposed bracing (1/4" dowels) along with simulated cabin door with proper cabin window outline (made from 1/32 ply).
Aug 14, 2019, 12:53 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Aug 14, 2019, 05:02 PM

Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan
plugging away last few days. got bottom of fuse sheeting installed, got 50% of cabin side sheeting. interesting approach by kit, 2 layers of 1/8" balsa. lower nose is single layer as well as top of nose. always fun with compound curves etc. only had one piece split. I was in a hurry test fitting, should have soaked first. still have lower portion of cabin sides to finish. I need to make up fuse wing strut mounts. the kit uses plastic modified control horns. they are light weight, will look to make of brass or steel. few pics of progress.
On my champ, i did not instal the sheeting from the end of the cabin area to the tail. Just added weight. I think. On the bottom. Still plenty strong. Servos will be in the tail area.
Aug 17, 2019, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
got some building done today as well as other pm. working on scale pilot's left side sliding cabin window. took some 5/32 aluminum sq tubing. used the dremel to cut window track. cut recess in cabin side, then glued in aluminum framing. waiting on plastic window sheeting and can get a better pic of what it will look like finished. worked on simulated front cabin windshield area bracing. worked on mounting elevator control horn and fuse exit sheeting. added scaled simulated tail lift handles on rear of fuse. trying to finish up wing center section. found a piece of cabinet trim wood. cut a taper slice on the bandsaw. will glue it in place on the rear tapered end of the wind center section. this will providing solid wing bolt mount area. so knocking out several smaller but needed things.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 10:16 PM
And You're Not
Good to see you building, I really enjoyed following the Nosen bush plane build.
Aug 17, 2019, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jeffery. with exception of the heat, enjoying being back at the bench. probably reality of some life events spent me a little hard over the last year. moving forward since then. The Bush plane may be coming home. At least been some rumors of it. Would be nice to get it in paint. Its sitting at my buddies shop. Once I finish this build, thinking it will be a topic for discussion as then.
Aug 17, 2019, 10:55 PM
And You're Not
I'd love to see you finish the Nosen. And I had to downsize my building area, but under AC still. Hope life treats you well going forward and complements the fond memories of the past.
Aug 18, 2019, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
chores day today. did very little tinkering for little more easy scale detail. added a cabin step. some scrap brass tube and flat stock shaped to resemble foot step plate.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
so for the builders out there, hopefully you can appreciate. I started some covering tonight to avoid the garage heat and change the scenery from actual building etc. tail feathers and ailerons were ready to cover. Man, I forgot how much I enjoyed covering in Coverite Supershrink fabric. It's been like 17 yrs since I did my last plane in my first hobby go round. It's a ashamed they no longer produce and haven't for a while. My buddy has stashed some rolls for projects. This Champ L-16 will be done in it. So easy to work with. Rolls corners beautifully as well as perfect shrinkage. And yes, it has the certain odor. Great stuff. Reliving some days gone by.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Sunday off and on tinkering session. Trying to knock out items so I can get closer to covering the fuselage. Finished off installing front simulated cabin bracing. Built and installed rear cabin simulated bracing. Added couple cross brace supports for pull pull cable tubes. Added some stock material rear of fuse along side vertical fin on top of stab. This will allow more scale look when covering vs a covered fin perpendicular on top of stab type joint. I will be able to create a filet at fin/stab joint in the covering material. getting close to covering. I figured i will come back later to work on servo tray location/build.
Aug 28, 2019, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Back on to covering. worked on one of the toughest area in my opinion......the vertical fin and creating filet to the stab using only covering. added polytak adhesive to areas to assure material will stay put. time consuming (about 1-1.5 hrs) but pleased with results. Both sides of vertical done. pics of progress.
Sep 02, 2019, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
covering progress halted temporarily as needed to get servo location determined, servo tray built and installed, also needed to add some filler stock below stab to assist in smooth transition of covering from fuse side to stab bottom. added bracing for pull pull tubes and glass elevator push rod. got that knocked out. back on to covering. top, bottom of fuse, top of stab and right side of fuse completed. shaping up.
Sep 05, 2019, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
no pics, more covering. fuselage covering completed with exception of boot cowl area that will get glassed with light weight glass cloth. stabilizer completed. need to finish minor strut mounts on wing panels then can get the panels covered.

Quick Reply