Jun 20, 2019, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
so could not help my "scale" addiction. not hard core but like a few things. been working on ailerons. The kit is typical build with wing ribs. got back and cut out ailerons and cap. that leaves straight ribs on ailerons. The Champ had diagonal aileron ribs. so let the fun of redesign and cutting new aileron ribs etc. not 100% finished. still need to cap ribs. I have right one almost done and started building left tonight. will add hinge blocks etc and drill for hinges. then install hard mount for control horn. should get knocked by weekend for sure.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2019, 10:27 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
I like the narrower TE sheeting!
Wish I had thought of that about 3 airplanes ago.
Jun 23, 2019, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
nothing exciting and no pics.

got aileron caps strips installed, things shaped, hinge blocks glued to wing and ailerons. things drying. will have to wait another day to drill for hinge points for hinging.
Jun 24, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
hinge points drilled in wings and ailerons. always fun drill at an angle into a wing TE or angled aileron LE. but got both wing panels done. just need to add ply hard point mounts for control horns and a little finish sanding.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:44 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Nice job!
Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks taildragger1589
Jun 29, 2019, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
got some building time today.

tied elevator halves together with 3/8 dowel. kit used a piece of 1/8 c-formed wire. I was not satisfied with strength that would prevent twist under load. got jury and main strut plates cut etc. got jury strut plates glued in place. cut new "eyebrows" for windshield/cabin. original were balsa. went with 1/4 plywood to have better mounting surface for crewing down windshield. did initial squaring up wings on fuse. one major accomplishment, got new wire main gear bent out of 3/16 wire. the kit has light weight 5/32 as designed around .60 glow size engines. with gear being buried inside fuse, it would be impossible to replace later with out major surgery. best to do now. never been fond of bending wire due to trying to get equal and flat bends. puts some thoughts to it. then brainstorm. I recessed the main block (KS wire bender) with pivot pin etc for bender into a piece of 3/4 plywood. this allowed be to bending and keep bends all on same plane. I am pleased as came out first try. now just needs some large landing gear clamps to mount. pics of process.
Jul 02, 2019, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
little tinkering last couple evenings. got aileron servo mounts/covers etc installed in both wing panels. used a Balsa USA servo mounting kits and modified to space available. now just pending installing main strut mount plates on the wing panels and temp mount of control horns, then they are done from a construction framing point.

on to fuse nose/firewall once some ordered parts come in.
Jul 04, 2019, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
so I am reminded of great appreciation for preformed aluminum gear. 3 pc wire leg gear bound with copper wire and soldered. fun stuff. rough mounted. but she is up on her mains. not expecting to get anything else accomplished in next few days. heading out of town shortly for my son's wedding.
Jul 10, 2019, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
little more building time accomplished. got gear permanently mounted. added couple extra landing gear straps. added a couple reinforcement blocks above wire so not just straps bearing any hard landing loads. got fuel tank/engine box/firewall mounted. added xtra hardwood blocks for strength. started on nose stringers. used hardwood stringers on bottom of nose going from boot cowl plywood former to firewall plywood former. kit shows balsa, wanted to add some strength since going gas. i know sheeting will add but why not while there. will be ready to start sheeting of nose next.
Jul 14, 2019, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
plugging away last few days. got bottom of fuse sheeting installed, got 50% of cabin side sheeting. interesting approach by kit, 2 layers of 1/8" balsa. lower nose is single layer as well as top of nose. always fun with compound curves etc. only had one piece split. I was in a hurry test fitting, should have soaked first. still have lower portion of cabin sides to finish. I need to make up fuse wing strut mounts. the kit uses plastic modified control horns. they are light weight, will look to make of brass or steel. few pics of progress.
Jul 20, 2019, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
shaping up. worked on wing strut fuselage attachment points. the kit used "cheezy" plastic control horns trimmed. good for the .60 2 stroke. I guess. I decided to replicate scale attachment point. used a couple Dubro straps and scrap metal. welded up and bolted in place. The welds not pretty. cheap metal.But will work. finished sheeting on fuse. got fairing material installed in landing gear. will wrap later in fiberglass. need to work on cowl fitment etc, wing struts and finish center section. could not help self, had to hang tail feathers and wings to get some extra motivation.
Jul 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
Very nice work! Can't wait to see finished.
Jul 21, 2019, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
started cowl fitment process. looks like original molding for prop hub opening is perfect for hub of G-26. same with scale outline cut out in bottom of back of cowl. wrap around pitts muffler should exit perfectly in opening. will need to temp mount motor, then can work on mounting and final fitment of cowl.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
been little on the building board. took some family vacation time. the once returned, its been crazy hot 100 degrees not counting heat index. hard to accomplish anything in the garage. so i cheated last night and today. brought the tail feathers and fuse into the house and took over the kitchen temporarily. i glued vertical to stab squaring up etc. then attached that sub assembly to the fuse. sure makes it easier when you can do tail group as sub assembly. it helps making alignment easier. couple pics.

Quick Reply