May 16, 2019, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Precedent 1/4 Champ L-16 Build

Well

Looks like I made it 6 months on the hiatus as Tom C quoted we all can use from time to time (my Nosen Bush Plane build). After hitting hard on a Robinhood 99 and Nosen Citabria Bush Plane build, I took a break from building etc. Had a lot of life things hitting at once. Packed and sold my goodies to a good friend. However, just could not stay away from the building board - my first true RC love. Some of us are builders, some flyers and some both. My experience though has told me most folks lean one way or the other for the most part.

So now I get my fix through my good friend. I had sold him my Precedent 1/4 Champ kit that I was going to bash into an L-16 military version. So happens, he has always wanted one as well. I am going to do a build for my friend satisfying both needs. New building board picked up, ready to roll. Started construction last night. Nothing real exciting will happen until I get to the fuse modifications. Kind of nice, I can build per plans for little while (no brainer). I will document along the way as done in the past couple builds for those who enjoy. I am altering my building technique. I have been a CA quick build person. Going with wood glue Titebond as mush as possible with exception of epoxy where see fit. Giving the eyes, nose and lungs a break. Will have to adapt to slower process though.

Here's quick pics from first session and a quick reference pics. Scheme most likely will be military OD.
Last edited by RagwingFan; May 18, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Tonight's accomplishments. Finished framing tail feathers. standard construction here. will need to do final shaping, hinge locations and hard mounts for tail wires.
May 18, 2019, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
tail feathers shaped, little more fine tuning later, added scrap blocks for hinge mounting. started fuselage construction. there is a basic 1/16, 1/8 plywood cockpit cabin box pieces that get laminated together. The remainder is 1/4 stick truss construction. started one side plus laminated necessary fuse formers, fire wall and other fuse formers. cut and added some gussets from scrap 1/16 plywood for rear stick construction of fuse. plans do not call for gussets but easy now and adds strength to joints. laminated first cabin ply side. now waiting wood glue to dry. yes, enjoying no CA smell but definitely slows my building norm.
Last edited by RagwingFan; May 18, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
May 19, 2019, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
more fuselage construction, completed basic framing of truss framing for both sides, laminated cabin reinforcement sides, installed main front fuselage former with landing gear mounting plate, installed top cabin former. laid out and cut out on cabin side windows for greenhouse L-16 look. coming together slowly but taking shape
May 20, 2019, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
started tying the fuse together. couple framing squares, digital level, long 90 degree straight line down the building board and multiple clamps. gotta let glue sit for the night. will add gussets to cross braces before adding bottom fuse formers and top deck. plan is to have the basic fuse completed hopefully by the end of this long weekend coming up.
May 27, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
still plugging away at fuselage. not going to make my target. long weekend but made sure I spent time with the family.

got top fuselage rear sheeting done, main bottom fuse sheeting done, added plywood doublers over rear side windows. I figured I could use the xtra strength since it will be open glass structure. the ply lamination is buried under the balsa block build up on the side of the fuse. dowel rod stringers installed. additional gussets installed. I need to decide if going with stock wire landing gear leg or upping the size and bending a new main leg since planning on going with G-26. need to do before I can add firewall and sheet nose.

pics for work accomplished. does not look like much but have hit it pretty regularly since Saturday.
May 27, 2019, 09:17 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Nice work!
I've built a couple of Precedent's Stampes.
The first one used kit wire for the landing gear.
After a couple of months I had to replace it with 1/4" music wire. No more problems
Second Stampe started out with 1/4" wire on the main gear leg about 5 years ago and has remained straight thru some terrible landings.

Enjoying the build.
Cheers!
Nick
Jun 02, 2019, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
update:

put the fuse on temp hold as couple items to work through before attaching firewall.....mainly gear as mentioned. sounds like I better replace main leg (at minimum) with 3/16 or 1/4 wire.

started working on building wings. the tedious task of punching out ribs, stack sanding, splicing main spars, 8 as well as 2 large leading edges to be spliced. sure would have been nice with full length stock. more tedious task of making sheer webbing from 1/16 balsa sheet. both front and rear spars are captured on both sides with webbing for strength. plenty of cutting.

right side panel basically framed. still plenty to do such as top and bottom LE sheeting and TE sheeting. ton of cap strips to do. root ribs will not be set until I build center section. that way I get a tight wing/center section joint. started initial framing on left panel as well. only right side plan provided. instead of flipping over plans and "oiling", I just rotated ribs and locked down spars. rip locations the same on plans, just 180 off. note: I precut ribs for aileron opening. I know some kits as well as this one are designed to build then cut out aileron and cap. I find it easier to build initially with opening and then build ailerons separately.

pics of last few days of off/on work.
Jun 09, 2019, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
still plugging away on wings. slower than expected. bottom LE sheeting, bottom root rib sheeting, wing tip laminations, cap strips on bottom of both panels all done. still plenty to do. shifted gears to wing center section. I need to build it so I can then glue/set wing root ribs in place at correct angles for tight fit. having to do modifications to wing center section. since I am going to open it up with large "skylight" observation window, I am beefing up center section outboard ribs. currently builds with 2 1/8 ply outer ribs and 2 interior balsa ribs. I have recreated 2 outer ribs from 1/4" aircraft plywood to replace kits 1/8" ones. still have some modification/redesign on center to work through. will do as I go along. I want the large skylight but need to make sure I keep strength in it as wing panels plug into center section and center section bolts to fuse top. I may consider gluing wing center section in place if I can do and still have plenty access room into fuse for equipment installation. couple pics of making new ribs. draw from og parts, stack 1/4 ply pieces, temp nail together, then cut out on band saw. used Forstner bits for clean smooth holes for center section tube receivers. They are a great tool to add vs standard drill bits that have a tendency to chew up wood.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Jun 09, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
minor milestone accomplished. I got basic center section constructed enough to set proper fitment of wing panel root rib fitment for both panels on Sunday night. last night, I was able to set root ribs for both panels. some kits give make shift die cut ply angle tools to set proper root rib angles. I prefer to clamp wing root rib to center section rib while gluing in root rib. This makes a tighter joint. added additional reinforcement plates where wing tubes mount through root rib and inner panel ply rib.

I can now finish wing top leading edge sheeting, add bolt and blind nuts for securing wing panels to wing center section. From there, I can finish remainder of wing panel top sheeting and cap strips. of course comes the fun of shaping LE out of a chunk of rectangle stick stock as well as shaping wing tips. from there, minor plates to be added for lift struts and jury struts (adding jury struts as kit does not include). ailerons to follow.

wing center section will need to be finished. I need to study little more to determine final construction for strength and appearance since I will be going with large observation window over center section.
Jun 12, 2019, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
more exciting wing construction.

panels and center section mated and drilled for locking bolts. blind nuts installed. LE and TE sheeting installed. can never have enough push pins and tape. should get center section and cap strips done by the weekend. hopefully get LE and tips shaped by then as well. will get back to cnter section construction afterwards. trying to keep moving on things that are for certain.
Jun 14, 2019, 12:52 AM
I'm signing on for the watch. Looking good
Jun 14, 2019, 12:35 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Gives the term "fiddly bits" real meaning.
Jun 15, 2019, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
made some headway today. both wing panels are completed, shaped, sanded etc with exception of strut mounts and servo mounts. note: the nice pile of shavings from the leading edge stock. ailerons next. did some other tinkering. added 1/8 brass tube inserts in stab and vertical. I use 256 bolts for attaching flying wires. the brass insert allows to tighten 256 bolt/nut with out crazy crushing the balsa framework. also added a ply plate for attaching lower stab flying wires to fuselage. last pics show using straight edge set on op of capstrips with a line to successfully carve away excess trailing edge where ailerons hinge. hope that makes since. worked on shortening the kit engine box for proper length for prop hub clearance of cowl. lot of measuring and double checking. should be good to go. engine of choice, Zenoah G26 with wrap around pitts muffler. great reliable engines and perfect for the Champ.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Jun 16, 2019, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
quiet fathers day here as rainy nasty, family take it easy so I snuck out in the garage.

piddled with several little things. got my tail wires fabricated and finished. glued engine box to firewall, squared it up, added some reinforcement blocks. cut out and drilled secondary engine mount plate. made alignment marks etc. spent 2-3 hours dinking just to get the above done. did study main landing gear leg. it is like just under 5/32. gonna definitely need to get some wire and bend a new main leg in order to handle weight larger gas motor.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Jun 18, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply