May 16, 2019, 10:07 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
Thread OP
Discussion

To pilot for a day you have to pay for whole week!!??

Since when did you have to pay to pilot the rest of the week if you just want to pilot for a day? Lady at welcome center said when I arrived today I would have to pay $48 to pilot the rest of the week with no refund for the remaining days I didn't fly. I did year before last, as well as Nall in the Fall. Wish I would have known that before I spent yesterday charging batteries and loading up planes. But no way I'm paying $48 for one day of piloting. What I dont understand is how I can do it in the past and not now? Everyone at Nall needs to be on the same page. Also noticed a big reduction in vendors this year as opposed to previous years. I understand fully what it takes to run this place but if it's going to be a money racket you can count me out. I just dont understand why you can pay to spectate for a day, but you cant pay to pilot for a day (without paying the whopping amount for the remaining of the week). If they have this all wrong at the welcome center, please verify to them, especially the blonde lady that I found to be rather rude.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 01:53 PM
The Joe Nall event has forgotten what a customer is. They have treated the vendors like they are a nuisance and are now finding out these vendors don't need Joe Nall. When the vendors leave the attendance drops just like it did at SEFF and Florida Jets.

They pissed off a lot of people last year canceling the event (for a storm that never came) and then had the guts to ask everyone to just donate their money. (Including vendors) Sounds like they are now trying to play catch up for lost revenue. Just bad business.
May 16, 2019, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Yea I agree. And where is the "hospitality" in that? If it starts to be about money (which it's well on its way), just count me out. Alot of vendors will realize this too and not show. Alot of the top vendors that has been here every year is not here. You know you would think the people at the welcome desk realizing that I had planes packed up and ready to fly today that they would just figure up a fair price to fly for the day and just inform me of it for the next time. But no, the lady actually said would I like to come another day, NO, I drove an hour to get here expecting to get to fly and I just couldn't see paying $48 to fly for one day. So where is this "Hospitality" they speak of around here??
May 19, 2019, 09:26 AM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
In the grand scheme of things $48 is not bad at all. Most flying events and competitions I attend you are paying 20 to 50 bucks to participate in them and those events are either 1 day or 2 day events.
May 19, 2019, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Not in my book. It's still a stupid thing to charge for the rest of the week when I only came prepared to fly one day. At the very least they could have came up with a fair price for me to pay for a day of flying since I had already had everything loaded up and was clearly unaware of the pricing. Also the TT web site does not even give pricing once the "pre-registration" closes, I looked all over the web site. Maybe they should be more clear and informative on their web site about pilot pricing. I'm sure I was not the only one out of the thousands that went to Nall that tried to pilot for a day....
May 19, 2019, 05:03 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor060
The Joe Nall event has forgotten what a customer is. They have treated the vendors like they are a nuisance and are now finding out these vendors don't need Joe Nall. When the vendors leave the attendance drops just like it did at SEFF and Florida Jets.

They pissed off a lot of people last year canceling the event (for a storm that never came) and then had the guts to ask everyone to just donate their money. (Including vendors) Sounds like they are now trying to play catch up for lost revenue. Just bad business.
You say they cancelled for a storm that never came, which is true. But if the storm came, and people got stuck or their property destroyed, what would you be saying now? "oh, they should have cancelled it, it was clear the storm was coming"

They made a choice to protect the grounds and the people who would have been very very screwed over.
May 19, 2019, 06:20 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Another thread stated you had to pay the full 3 days, and if you left early you could get a refund on the remaining days you didn't use...

ahem !https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...308993-Pricing
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
May 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
I buy ikarus piccolo/Eco8 stuf
The lady at the front desk was also fairly rude to us. we arrived on Thur and left on Sat, I know we came a little late in the week but the total lack of vendors (which is probably the best part) was very disappointing and makes me reconsider coming again next year.

Also, why can't the heli line get some love? no gazebo or nothing. I don't think I even saw any porta-johns down there. I understand heli pilots probably make up the least amount of pilots but it was still sad to see only one pilot down there all by himself.
May 21, 2019, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
You say they cancelled for a storm that never came, which is true. But if the storm came, and people got stuck or their property destroyed, what would you be saying now? "oh, they should have cancelled it, it was clear the storm was coming"

They made a choice to protect the grounds and the people who would have been very very screwed over.
I have attended Joe Nall for many years through many storms and I have yet to see the property destroyed. A few stuck vehicles and some torn up sod does not even come close to that. The better choice would have been to move people out of the flood zone at the 3D line and let the show go on. This wasn't a Hurricane evacuation. It was a rain storm.

They had thousands of people and all these Vendors canceling their vacations costing them a lot of time and money and for what? If you would have attended the vendor meeting asking everyone to evacuate, not given any credit for money spent for the next event, then asking everyone to not ask for refunds because they just built a woman's shower for the Nall event (Which isn't true. It was built for their full scale show) you might have a different take on this.

Simply put, most vendors were a no show this year for a reason and I doubt they will ever get them back. Shows like Florida Jets and SEFF lost their vendors and the attendance has suffered as will Joe Nall. This was a bad call all the way around. You don't cancel a 10 day planned event over a single rain storm turning around all of your paid participants that have traveled several states away.

Next year a lot of people will reconsider that kind of commitment when they know the vendors won't be there and the show could get canceled as soon as they arrive because of rain.
May 22, 2019, 09:44 AM
I dont know guys, been going for many years and i thought this was one of the better ones. Yes, last year sucked. I lost a lot of money on camper rentals, plane tickets for family members but i moved on and got over it. The people that run the event are just that - people. No one is perfect and they'll learn from the past.

I’ll never understand the hate people spew from keyboards
May 23, 2019, 06:18 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
I also never understood the hate we see online. The comments alone will destroy any event. Crap happens in life. If you complain about it, you will make others complain about it. Complaining in itself is a nasty disease that spreads through people. For as many Joe Nalls that have been put on, you are going to have a bad year. Was last years choice right? Maybe? Maybe Not? But I respect the choice they had to make, because there is a lot to risk.... They chose the safe side.

This year was a great year I felt like it. Yes vendors might have been down, but look at the hobby in a whole at the moment...Its getting harder and harder to stay in business in this industry.
May 23, 2019, 06:43 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I don't 'do' Nall. 7 hours one way, to fly maybe 3 times. Doesn't seem cost effective.. But here's the thing- with all the vendors 'gone', no Hobby Shops left, no one 'building' model airplanes any more, there seemed to be one hell of a lot of people attending that show, with more than one model..

It seems that folks have to make a decision as to what is really happening in the industry ? Is it dying, or thriving ? We have 'proof' either way..

Why does anyone care if there are no vendors ? Are you sorry you didn't save on shipping?/didn't get a discount ? -Are those same products available on line at a slightly higher percentage ?
I'm a whiny complainer- been told so many times, and it's a written fact. Ö.However, I leave Nall alone, because it's the ONE modeling event that folks just must attend.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
May 23, 2019, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgetorker
I dont know guys, been going for many years and i thought this was one of the better ones. Yes, last year sucked. I lost a lot of money on camper rentals, plane tickets for family members but i moved on and got over it. The people that run the event are just that - people. No one is perfect and they'll learn from the past.

Iíll never understand the hate people spew from keyboards
Not really sure what your definition of spewing hate from keyboards is but reciting the facts of the problem that exist is just explaining the situation so lighten up Francis. Not sure how that is spewing hate but I would guess you got over it pretty easy as you had no risk involved. Get on the hook for 6-10K and close your RC business for 2 weeks in a declining industry to attend an event like this just to be asked to leave 24 hours later and then asked to just donate your money because your lucky to even be attending in the first place.

Then when you come back for the Nall in the fall you are not given the space you paid for or credit for the last show. Now lets see how fast you get over it. You can thank the previous situation last year for your lack of vendor attendance this year. You might call it spewing hate but most people call it discussing facts. I don't recall anyone in here calling anyone hateful names.

AS for sale pricing, no one cares about a few percentage points or shipping. They like having the vendors there to help replace broken parts while at the event, see new products first hand, talk directly to the manufactures about equipment, compare products, trade, and creating relationships. These are things that are not available to web buyers.
May 24, 2019, 05:43 AM
How much does it cost the organisers to setup the event? How much does it cost for a manufacturer to attend? The bottom line is it costs money and there has to be ROI to make it worth while and not just a party.
May 24, 2019, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor060
Not really sure what your definition of spewing hate from keyboards is but reciting the facts of the problem that exist is just explaining the situation so lighten up Francis. Not sure how that is spewing hate but I would guess you got over it pretty easy as you had no risk involved. Get on the hook for 6-10K and close your RC business for 2 weeks in a declining industry to attend an event like this just to be asked to leave 24 hours later and then asked to just donate your money because your lucky to even be attending in the first place.

Then when you come back for the Nall in the fall you are not given the space you paid for or credit for the last show. Now lets see how fast you get over it. You can thank the previous situation last year for your lack of vendor attendance this year. You might call it spewing hate but most people call it discussing facts. I don't recall anyone in here calling anyone hateful names.

AS for sale pricing, no one cares about a few percentage points or shipping. They like having the vendors there to help replace broken parts while at the event, see new products first hand, talk directly to the manufactures about equipment, compare products, trade, and creating relationships. These are things that are not available to web buyers.
Ok, you win another internet argument. You can reply all you want to this post. I’m not wasting my anymore time on you. Bye bye.

Quick Reply