This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 15, 2019, 08:23 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Announce

The DJI OSMO ACTION

The DJI OSMO ACTION

In a rather leaked release that may surprise some and not so much others DJI, the worlds largest drone manufacturer have announced their latest product in the OSMO lineup, the OSMO Action.

The original OSMO launched in late 2015 and was DJI’s first move into ground based cameras with it being fitted with a version of the X3. Since then DJI have diversified the line with the OSMO Zoom as well as the Mobile versions for smartphones. In November 2018 DJI released the first major over hall of the line with the OSMO Pocket, this dramatically smaller version was entirely redesigned and improved in almost every way while still keeping the benefits of a stabilised gimbal camera system.

Today DJI have added an entirely new model to the OSMO line up. The OSMO Action is as much a side step as it is a step forward and takes them into the action camera market properly for the first time and in direct competition with GoPro, SJCam and Others.

Its hard not to notice that the OSMO Action does look very familiar, there is no getting away from the fact that it is very much using the GoPro Hero form factor.

OSMO Action Vs GoPro

DJI are entering an already well established market with the OSMO Action and they are always going to be compared to the market leader GoPro. Whilst GoPro have been suffering some setbacks with the Karma drone and the many eastern manufacturers entering the market they are still very much the best in class in the action camera market and the Hero 7 has very much made that the case again.

The basic Spec of the OSMO Action

1/2.3” Sensor 12MP Stills 145 degree FOV F2.8 Lens
4K 60FPS 100 Mbps H.265 Video Recording
DJI RockSteady Electronic Image Stabilisation System
HDR Video 4K 30fps
240fps 1080P/720P Slow Motion.
Fully Waterproof Without External Housing
Front Colour Screen 1.4 inches, 300 ppi
Rear Colour 2.25 inches, 640◊360, 325 ppi Touch Screen

Comparing this to other models the GoPro Hero 7 is the main competitor, however SJCAM also have a new model coming soon as well.

A Closer Look

As mentioned having a very similar form factor to a GoPro it is actually a little larger being 2mm longer and wider however what does stand out is the 1.4 Inch colour front screen, unlike other cameras that only have an information display to show recording info and status this is a full colour screen that’s able to show the live view just like the rear screen. This is a massive benefit for those who want to use this for blogging or need to see what the shot looks like from the front.

Moving around to the rear you will find a 2.25 inch colour touch screen with a resolution of 640◊360. This is where you can fully control the camera and access all its menus as well as see live view or play back footage.

The Camera & Lens

The lens is a wide 145 degree FOV lens with a fixed aperture of F2.8. The camera is waterproof and is fitted with a removable front filter that also acts as a water seal at the front, this is a screw fit and allows for easy fitment of ND filters or other lenses should yours get damaged.

At the heart of this camera DJI have chosen to go with a 1/2.3 sensor that’s the same size as used in the Mavic 2 Zoom and OSMO Pocket. This allows it to record at a maximum of 4K 60fps at 100 Mbps in H264, The OSMO Action can also record HDR video up to 4K 30fps as well.

Alongside the maximum resolution the OSMO Action recording modes include

4K 60,50, 48, 30, 25, 24fps
4K (4:3) – 30, 25, 24fps
2.7K (4:3) – 30, 25, 24fps
2.7K (16:9) – 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24fps
1080p – 240, 200, 120, 100, 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24fps
720p – 240, 200fps

RockSteady Image Stabilisation

DJI is especially known for its gimbals and mechanical stabilisations systems however in a first for them the OSMO Action uses electronic image called RockSteady.

This is similar to what GoPro introduced with the Hero 7 and it’s really made a massive difference to the output from these small cameras. Parrot also added a hybrid mechanical and electronic stabilisation to the Anafi and that’s also been very successful in delivering smooth footage.

Connectivity & Sharing

The OSMO Action has both WiFi and Bluetooth built in allowing you to easily share footage as well as remotely control the camera.

Battery Life

Fitted with a 1300mAh battery from fully charged battery can record video at 1080P/30fps for up to 135 minutes with RockSteady turned off and 4K/60fps for up to 63 minutes with RockSteady turned on.

The Price

DJI have set the price of the OSMO Action at $349, this is $50 below the official retail price of the Hero 7 Black whilst directly matching it for overall spec and features.

Overall

DJIs move into the action camera market was inevitable in the end, they are known for setting the standard and being the leaders in many sectors with the Mavic 2 and Inspire professional aerial platforms. Their professional ground systems like the Ronin and Ronin S have also built them a large following in the pro sector too.

What is interesting though is that for the first time they are stepping into a very product rich and competitive market where GoPro have been no 1 pretty much since day one. While the likes of SJCAM have been stealing market share from them GoPro have still delivered the better product overall and build a business on that just like DJI have with their aerial platforms.

The action camera market has been somewhat stagnant for some time with users not being driven to update like they have in the drone industry. With this move into the action camera segment DJI clearly feel they can contribute in this market too and while the OSMO Action does not change the world it is a very strong start in directly competing with GoPro’s top end models on first release.

From what I have seen the OSMO Action is really well worth a look if your looking at getting an action camera or its time to update. This camera is surely bound to get GoPro worried, DJI have managed to underprice them whilst directly competing on specification with the Hero 7 Black and the news does not get much better as SJCAM also have a number of new models in the pipeline.

I will be ordering one very shortly, however if you want to order one there is a link below

https://click.dji.com/AGSpuvIt5bl4vP...m=link&as=0001

Last edited by Mad_angler1; May 15, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2019, 10:30 AM
This looks like an interesting little camera. I can see how the front LCD would be nice for bloggers, but having an external mic jack like the GP7 has would be nice for bloggers as well. Sound always seems to be the issue with these action cams' built-in microphones.

For someone using other DJI products (Osmo, drones, etc.) I imagine the video from this camera would be easier to color-match with those devices than GP would be - that's a nice benefit.

Have they addressed the fisheye distortion with the Action? Having to bring raw footage into GPStudio and process the distortion out is an annoyance on the GP.
May 15, 2019, 12:43 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP

The DJI OSMO ACTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
This looks like an interesting little camera. I can see how the front LCD would be nice for bloggers, but having an external mic jack like the GP7 has would be nice for bloggers as well. Sound always seems to be the issue with these action cams' built-in microphones.

For someone using other DJI products (Osmo, drones, etc.) I imagine the video from this camera would be easier to color-match with those devices than GP would be - that's a nice benefit.

Have they addressed the fisheye distortion with the Action? Having to bring raw footage into GPStudio and process the distortion out is an annoyance on the GP.

External Mic will be via a USB C adapter shortly. Itís not as fish eye as I understand it and not like the GP.

Overall the reports are RockSteady is better than the GP but it does crop out more, changes in contrast and light is much better as well on the DJI.

Downside is no GPS, HDMI or built in live streaming but overall itís looking a very decent option.

There is now an official Facebook group for the OSMO Action as well
https://www.facebook.com/groups/offi...ion/?ref=share
Last edited by Mad_angler1; May 15, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
May 15, 2019, 03:05 PM
I went ahead and ordered one. It will be fun to bounce it against the GP7 and the Sony FDR x3000. The samples I saw on Youtube for the stabilization look incredible, although, as you said, it does tend to crop the image significantly.

The external mic option is a big deal for me - I use these cameras simultaneously to shoot drone tutorials, and the ability to sync the video clips by sound is a huge time saver. Glad to hear the Action will support one.
May 20, 2019, 12:34 PM
got mine today already found a bug in the menu system:

Osmo action bug (0 min 39 sec)
May 20, 2019, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor

It has in camera De-Warp for some video settings. This does cause it crop even more than just Rock Steady.

Quick Reply