May 14, 2019, 02:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RFU failure

Good day all, I got back from our national aerobatics comp 2 weeks ago. My aircraft came back via a freight company. My aircraft only got back a week ago. Last night I was putting it back together, stabs, wheels etc. When I switched everything on again to check the operation it would not work. The RFU was not bound and the X10 was also flashing red. It has been working perfectly for the past year. I tried to re bind the RFU but no luck. Tonight I'll enquire the RFU via the xpd and see if I can get it to work.
Has anyone experienced this happening before.? The aircraft was very well packed and was all dry when I unpacked. Very weird.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 08:24 AM
Thread OP
I have just tried binding the RFU to the xdp and it would not go into xdp binding mode. Tried a new RFU and it connected to the xdp. Tried to do a firmware upgrade and it would not go into binding mode. The RFU got very hot to the touch. What could be wrong. Don't want to damage another RFU. ��
May 14, 2019, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
I'm using a 2S lipo for power.
May 14, 2019, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
OK I assume that it must be the X10 that has failed but don't know why it blew the RFUs? Just configured a new X10 + and another new RFU and all is working fine. Must just mount it all into the aircraft.
May 14, 2019, 03:26 PM
The RFU is limited to 10v maximum. I have had a few customers try to use a 3S Lipo before with their X10+ setup and killed the RFU. The only ways to kill the RFU is plugging the power in backwards or over-volting it.
Last edited by JimDrew; May 14, 2019 at 08:06 PM.
May 14, 2019, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Well I've only ever used the same 2S lipo . Everything has worked perfectly for 120 + flights.
I have all HV servos and use a NO NO switch. Power wires are soldered onto the X10 and a XT60 plug on the wire and battery, impossible to reverse polarity.
Mine was the older X10.
May 14, 2019, 08:07 PM
Well, I am guessing that the RFU just failed then. Does the X10+ still work? Nothing changed in your system?
May 15, 2019, 03:12 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jim, no the X10 is not working and I'd changed nothing in the aircraft except for unplugging the elevators for transportation. I think it must have failed for some unknown reason as electronics some times do. Fortunately I have enough Spares so no problem. I have a spin 99 opto pro speed controller installed but that should not be able to feed back into the X10. I also always disconnect the motor batteries before the RX battery after each flight.
Thanks for your input Jim, it's much appreciated. ��
May 15, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Everything is back in. Must just plug in the servos.
May 15, 2019, 10:23 PM
Make sure your power wire for the ESC is disconnected if that controller has a BEC built in! It is possible that voltage can come back through to the X10+.
May 16, 2019, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jim, the spin 99 has no BEC. it also has an opto coupler to eliminate any chance of feedback.
Thanks Jim.
May 16, 2019, 12:30 PM
Opto is only for the signal wire, not the power wires. You should always disconnect the red (center) wire on the throttle input when using a ESC with an external power source for servos.
May 17, 2019, 02:17 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jim, yes I know but the ESC has no power for the servos. I have installed all the new components and connected the ESC and run the motor and everything is working perfectly. I'll be flying tomorrow but will do a range test first.
Have a great weekend.
May 18, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jim, well all went well today. Range check gave me 70 paces with the TX side on to the aircraft only with my back to the aircraft did I loose contact. I also used my JR xg11mv with the XPS module I normally use in my JR 9x2. Had 3 good flights and all performed perfectly.
May 18, 2019, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Today at our flying field.

Quick Reply