QuickFlick-II, Plan thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 04, 2005, 12:48 AM
Magicsmoke maker

QuickFlick-II, Plan thread

Hello everyone,

Due to the large amount of interest, I've created a new thread for talking about the QuickFlick-II building/plans.

A quick summary:

Span: 1200mm / 47"
Chord: 140mm / 5.5"
Section: S3021
Wing area: 168dm.sq / 2ft.sq

Length: 780mm / 30.7"

Boom: 6mm CF tube

Primary construction material: Balsa (1.6mm, 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4.8mm and 6mm)
Other materials: CF tow/rovings/ribbon, FG or Kevlar cloth

Estimated AUW: 170~190g (5.95~6.5oz)
Estimated loading: 10g/dm.sq ( 3.0~3.25oz/ft.sq )

As yet, the plans are still not what I would call /absolutely perfect/, so this thread will serve to act as a suppliment of information until such time that everything is right on the dot.

The QuickFlick-II build album is at: http://pldaniels.com/flying/va.php?dir=quickflick-02

Maiden Flights Movie: http://www.pldaniels.com/flying/quic...2-20050130.avi

The plans are available at: http://www.pldaniels.com/flying - scroll down till you find the filenames "qf-II-*.pdf" where * = Letter, Legal or A4, select the paper type you require for your tiling. I suggest printing out in an /inkjet/ printer rather than a laser as laser printers often print a bit unevenly.

Orginal DXF files are available on request (email or PM me).

Paul.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2005, 12:53 AM
GO THE DOLPHIN!
Well, you know I'm in. Have had a good deal of fun building and flying other planes with your methods/plans. Will be officially starting on it after the weekend. You really should consider posting how to's on your launches or at least some videos, I think I'd break an ankle trying that fancy ballerina stuff!

Good job, another great plane from the deep dark reaches of PLD!!!
Feb 04, 2005, 05:39 AM
Yup I'm officially in as well! LOL

If Tower would just hurry up with my Carbon Tape I can get flying. Got everything layed out now as you guys probably know already. Going to pick up the servos tonight. Get the battery next week and well the reciever I'll just steal from another plane. I will start building next week and well hopefully the tape from Tower will not take 4 weeks again.

Thanks for the plans Inflex...lets see if the quickflick can take over the world!
Feb 04, 2005, 05:46 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Spacey,

Your CF rovings are on their way. I just hope they don't get caught up in your postal service as they try to work out "What is this stuff!?". They might think it's special hair for a muti-ritual.

Guys, check your plans for dimensions - I need to put a scale-grid on the paper so that you /know/ that it's to scale. The center wing should be 600mm span and 140mm chord. Each tip should be 300mm span. Check that before building ;-)

When you print your PDF, make sure that the "expand to fit page" and "shrink to fit page" features are turned OFF.

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 05:46 AM
well done Paul,

this lovely bird is next on my list. Thanks for sharing, great clean build.

keep it up!

James
Feb 04, 2005, 06:00 AM
Magicsmoke maker
James,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It'll be nice to see a few other people building/flying this bird around - perhaps some useful suggestions may come out of it. I know for certain that one person already is planning on some modifications, specifically the launch-peg. I'm sure other variations will follow.

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 06:02 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Tonight I'll work with using a solid tail with only a spraying of polyurathane (I have Cabbots ClearCoat in a spray can).

I'm going to see if the finished solid tails weigh less than a covered tail in my case.
Feb 04, 2005, 09:07 AM
Magicsmoke maker

New tail feathers

I thought I'd try using solid feathers, starting with a mixed-grain build 2.4mm (3/32") of stock and sand it down to a form of a symetrical section, polish it smooth then either dope or poly-spray it.

Mass of the tail feathers right now as in the picture is 10g (roughly 0.3oz).

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 03:29 PM
Count me in also. Its next on my list after I finish the Allegro. Your idea about changing the grain is the right way to go. Could I possibly suggest looking at the Allegro tail plans? Also are you sanding in an airfoil shape to the tail?
Feb 04, 2005, 05:18 PM
Magicsmoke maker
I've not seen the Allergro plans for the tail. Do you have a mockup? Optimally, I would use 6 pieces per section however I thought I'd see how it goes with the 4 pieces per section for now.

Later today I'll start the whole process of sanding down, profiling, smoothing and coating.

If things go well, I might end up with a 7g tail.

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 06:09 PM
Go to:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...ite2m/tail.pdf

For information on the Allegro tail.
Feb 04, 2005, 06:30 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Cosrl, thanks for the link. Just looked at it, looks like they essentially use a single-direction grain for the rudder with a small cap at the bottom. The multiple pieces being used primarily to provide extended effective width perpendicular to the grain (ie, you cannot buy 200mm wide sheets of C-grain balsa ;-).

One thing I did notice is the general lack of tail area below the boom - this surprises me a little as this is the 'key feature' of successful DL'ing. Does the Allegro use a gyro for yaw stabilization?

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 07:32 PM
Actually the Allegro is a 2M class ship (no gyro). I was pointing to it only to give you some ideas for grain directions. You can't argue with Marks designs.
Feb 04, 2005, 07:55 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Aaaaah, that's right, it's not a DLG afaik - it's just a very /tough/ winch plane. No wonder the tail didn't descend as far as I thought it should for a DLG.

Paul.
Feb 04, 2005, 07:57 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Incidently, I wasn't disputing Mark's design - just was curious. :-)

I've just finished sanding down the bare wood with my new tail - down to 7g from 10g. Judicious use of the balsa plane sure can shave off weight very fast.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should use dope or urethane.