May 14, 2019, 08:35 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolddude
So, regular CA will eat DTF if peeled?
I did a quick test on two pieces of scrap peeled DTF with regular Gorilla Super Glue CA ↓
Last edited by balsa or carbon; May 15, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Hey Balsa. Here in the marshes of SE Louisiana they would suffer water damage in my bedroom. There's no avoiding moisture here. Hurricane Katrina showed us by destroying the protection levees and dumping 10 feet of the nastiest slop in our houses. Six houses in the entire Parish were not flooded.

Taking measures to waterproof my planes would be time well spent. Will the increase in weight cause performance decline? I must admit that covering planes with plain newspaper sounds like a fun project. AleRRon's idea seems to be rock solid protection. Just like the others, we must waterproof our edges and points of contact must be reinforced and waterproofing repaired.

Taking off on wet grass is fun, That is a condition often encountered here.
May 15, 2019, 01:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolddude

Taking measures to waterproof my planes would be time well spent. Will the increase in weight cause performance decline? I must admit that covering planes with plain newspaper sounds like a fun project. AleRRon's idea seems to be rock solid protection. Just like the others, we must waterproof our edges and points of contact must be reinforced and waterproofing repaired.
It's the paper skins on DTF that are susceptible to moisture , not the foam underneath the paper skins . If you peel the paper skins off and use just the foam for building planes , there is no need to waterproof . Removing the paper skins will cut the weight of the DTF almost in half , but it also looses stiffness . You can stiffen the foam where needed by using double/triple/quadruple layers of foam . And to strengthen the airframe where needed , you can add spars/struts , gussets/fillets , etc . Reinforce an airframe only for flying forces ( G forces , flex or twisting ) , not for crash-proofing .

If you read a lot of the advice in this forum , probably the number one piece of advice given by experienced builders is " build lightweight " . I frequently put videos in my posts because for me flight performance is of primary importance , and looks are secondary . Building lightweight is the most important if you want slow flight , since the main ingredient for slow flight is "light wing loading" . Take a look at the performance of this plane with extremely low wing loading :

Revolution in F3P world (8 min 32 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; May 16, 2019 at 12:03 PM.
May 15, 2019, 06:06 PM
treefinder
Ray, what BoC said. The paper on dtf is the root of many sins!

While newsprint and titebond makes a great paintable skin, I think you might want to keep that for later planes you may plan on keeping for a while. For quick stiffening and adding durability, packing tape is hard to beat. If you can find colors all the better, but coloring with sharpie then covering with clear packing tape works too. It is a great, durable,n slick surface for flying off wet grass, too

On the CA, some CA does eat foam, but foamsafe CA isn't supposed to. I am not a fan of CA for goam in any case. My limited experience is that the CA joint it too rigid/brittle and sets up stress risers for cracks. It's great for balsa and ply, etc. But a more forgiving joint works better for me, like Gorilla glue or hot glue.

Quick Reply