May 13, 2019, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Dollar Tree foam 10 years ago had to be peeled

I'm learning the current DTF is much different than the stuff 10 years ago. Can I now use CA on the paper-coated sides?
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2019, 11:23 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolddude
I'm learning the current DTF is much different than the stuff 10 years ago. Can I now use CA on the paper-coated sides?
Current DTF ( Adams Readi-board ) can be used peeled or un-peeled , and many types of glue can be used ..... I prefer low temp hot glue . Walmart has a $3 low temp hot glue gun and glue sticks to go with it .

Be aware that DTF with the paper skins left on is susceptible to moisture ( wet grass , humid air , etc ) . If the DTF get's wet and is then left to dry , it will warp when drying . You can waterproof the paper skins if you want ( packing tape , etc ) , but that adds undesirable weight .

If you use DTF with the paper skins peeled off : for more strength ( where needed ) , you can make it double layer , triple layer , quadruple layer , etc . This 60" wingspan plane was built entirely out of paperless DTF , double layer where necessary :

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; May 13, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
May 13, 2019, 03:03 PM
Build, crash...repeat
I leave the paper on and once the airframe is built I give the paper a good soaking with oil based PU and wipe off as much as possible before it dries. This waterproofs it and provides a good surface for painting with Krylon or Rustoleum. BUT the paper will still separate or delaminates rather easily. A little here and there is easily fixed with a dab of hot glue.
The paper makes the foamboard much stiffer than none. And it allows one to use Flitetest building techniques which is how I learned. But Iím sure you can do what Balsa does and make a good airframe too.
Try both ways and see what you like.
May 13, 2019, 07:11 PM
Space Coast USA
Take the paper off and use the newsprint/glue method to make the foam bullet proof.
Waterproof - won't delaminate - can paint over with any paint - super strong

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-improvement
May 13, 2019, 07:12 PM
I've noticed that My local $ stores ..No Longer stock Foam core ... of any description.
Heads up is in order.. the stuff may be disappearing.
May 13, 2019, 07:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
I've noticed that My local $ stores ..No Longer stock Foam core ... of any description.
I've heard you can order a box from Dollar Tree online , then have it shipped to your nearest DT store for free .
https://www.dollartree.com/readi-boa...-boards/809955
May 13, 2019, 08:17 PM
I use" Elmers " foam board. weighs more but lots stronger and paper won't peel
May 13, 2019, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I've heard you can order a box from Dollar Tree online , then have it shipped to your nearest DT store for free .
https://www.dollartree.com/readi-boa...-boards/809955
Thanks Tried that just now... My 'Dollarama' chain (canada) charges 18$ delivery and there is No store pickup option.
Typ Dollar store foam core Is Elmer's brand.
IMO unless building a flite test plane one removes the paper skins.. they are basically dead weight .
May 14, 2019, 10:02 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Dollar tree is the one that consistently has it. Others may not or only occasionally.
May 14, 2019, 10:14 AM
Hopefully so.
But my local $ stores stocked it consistently for last 10 years ...even the last batch of 'wavy' stuff.. until recently
May 14, 2019, 11:24 AM
Scratch builder
Depends on how much CA you use. I'm guessing that CA will soak through the paper and melt the foam behind it. You didn't say whether it was the foam safe variety of not.

I believe other posts were trying to tell you that Adams board paper is not a good surface to glue to because it comes off so easily.

There are those who buy it BECAUSE it comes off easily like me, and there are others that leave it on. If I wanted foam board with paper on, I would buy the Ross brand from Wal Mart, and use plain old white glue.
May 14, 2019, 03:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thanks Tried that just now... My 'Dollarama' chain (canada) charges 18$ delivery and there is No store pickup option.
Typ Dollar store foam core Is Elmer's brand.
IMO unless building a flite test plane one removes the paper skins.. they are basically dead weight .
HobbyKing USA still has 3mm foam in stock , take a look and see what the shipping charge would be for you .
700mm long : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...0mm-white.html
1000mm long : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...html?wrh_pdp=2
May 14, 2019, 03:57 PM
Thank you ....Much better pricings..
Dunno If it's the equivalent of Depron, but It has to be better than $ store foam core foam.
Refusing to order from HK Hong Kong...over last few months/year, due too many 'unreceived' orders.
But US .. in the very least, has reliable shippings
May 14, 2019, 04:26 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thank you ....Much better pricings..
Dunno If it's the equivalent of Depron, but It has to be better than $ store foam core foam.
Refusing to order from HK Hong Kong...over last few months/year, due too many 'unreceived' orders.
But US .. in the very least, has reliable shippings
I have used the HK foam and it is more similar to peeled DTF than Depron .
May 14, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
So, regular CA will eat DTF if peeled?

Quick Reply