May 12, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Question

Any tips for the maiden of a HK Glue-N-Go SU-27?

Hi,
I hope to maiden a HK Glue-N-Go SU-27 when the weather settles down. Any tips on trim/expo, CG position and launch style?

Cheers,
David
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2019, 02:21 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiDavid
Hi,
I hope to maiden a HK Glue-N-Go SU-27 when the weather settles down. Any tips on trim/expo, CG position and launch style?

Cheers,
David
By now you probably maidened it. But here is my take, 100 ways to skin a cat.

I run 50% expo on both AIL / ELE.
I am running 1" behind the CG in the manual, but this plane is so forgiving, the cg is not critical (unless way behind the manual suggested cg).

Since there is not much to grab on the bottom, I underhand launch with right hand at ~45 degree upward angle straight into the wind. Most times I toss it, and 8~10 feet away I turn the motor on.

For those that do not have a motor yet, rcx has some great motors and low cost (remember to select no warranty to save 2~3 per motor)
http://www.myrcmart.com/advanced_sea...tnl8t0&x=6&y=5

2400 or 2700kv on 4S with 5050x3
1700kv would be for 6S

Remember to trim back the foam board before the prop, 1" clear area should be in front of the prop (or more) to keep the sound down somewhat and more thrust. I enable the esc brake function to stop the prop before landing.
Enjoy, great low cost plane.
Jun 25, 2019, 06:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
By now you probably maidened it. But here is my take, 100 ways to skin a cat.

I run 50% expo on both AIL / ELE.
I am running 1" behind the CG in the manual, but this plane is so forgiving, the cg is not critical (unless way behind the manual suggested cg).

Since there is not much to grab on the bottom, I underhand launch with right hand at ~45 degree upward angle straight into the wind. Most times I toss it, and 8~10 feet away I turn the motor on.

For those that do not have a motor yet, rcx has some great motors and low cost (remember to select no warranty to save 2~3 per motor)
http://www.myrcmart.com/advanced_sea...tnl8t0&x=6&y=5

2400 or 2700kv on 4S with 5050x3
1700kv would be for 6S

Remember to trim back the foam board before the prop, 1" clear area should be in front of the prop (or more) to keep the sound down somewhat and more thrust. I enable the esc brake function to stop the prop before landing.
Enjoy, great low cost plane.
Thanks so much for reply and my apologies for the late acknowledgement. I had given up.
Yes I did maiden the plane and all went surprising well. I launched as you describe and it simply takes to the air with no drama. I slowly moved the CG back after each run and it just kept getting better. Tried various props but settled on 6x4 as a good compromise between performance and duration. I'm running a 2200Kv motor on a 3S 2200mAH and I'm really pleased with the performance. I also cut away some foam in front of the prop which did reduce noise and help a bit with thrust. I did clock it at 88km/h but it may be going a little faster now. I had no idea foamboard could fly so well and it has been an eye-opener for some of us.
My thanks again.

Cheers,
David
Jun 26, 2019, 11:38 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
The MIG 29 is similar and I underhand launch ... power up to about 50% ... holding it just ahead of CoG so it naturally hangs about 45 deg nose up.
Give it a clean shove ... no need to swing or be a javelin thrower !!

As to using brake ? I understand on a folding prop or a model you don't want freewheeling prop drag ... but brake does not stop the prop in a user set position ... I'm being honest - I just cannot see the point.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Hi,
I also use about 50% throttle and I've not had a bad launch yet. It has to be one of the easiest planes to get in the air.
I wasn't sure about the prop brake either and having never used it I can't comment. I don't mind a bit of extra drag coming in to land. As it is it comes in very slow and simply plops on to the ground.
After the success of the Su27 I thought I would try an F22 out of Aliexpress. I've been waiting weeks now for the servos to arrive but hopefully they might turn up today. The material of the F22 appears to be the same as the HK series.

Cheers,
David
Jun 27, 2019, 02:53 AM
If you fly wet fuel .... then it is common to set the prop against start of compression at a position that reduces prop breakage on dead stick landings. It works because that compression position never changes and is a definite stop.

But on an e-motor ... brake can be at any point of rotation based on stator sitting held by the magnets. There is no single brake point as the wet fuel engines compression point. An e-motor has points based on all the magnets around the can ...
Its an easy thing to check ... apply brake and turn the prop ... you will feel it 'cogging' as it 'pops' from one stop point to the next.
Jun 27, 2019, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the explanation - yes that makes sense but I don't think I will ever run wet fuel in planes again. Last time was about 1962 when we mixed equal parts of kerosene, castor oil and ether.

Cheers,
David
Jun 27, 2019, 05:07 AM
Me I have various 'wet fuel' still ... and I love that aroma that drifts over the field when flying one !!
Jul 09, 2019, 10:19 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
The MIG 29 is similar and I underhand launch ...

As to using brake ? I understand on a folding prop or a model you don't want freewheeling prop drag ... but brake does not stop the prop in a user set position ... I'm being honest - I just cannot see the point.
The brake completely stops these small props, even with a tri blade prop if one blade is down, the first touch moves it away, all other landings, the prop never touches the ground.

When my brother first got the mig29, we were pretty happy, then i got the j20, that was a pos until i did many mods to it, but the su27 is just night and day imo over the others. If you get another one, try the su27.

Quick Reply