Sep 18, 2019, 10:37 AM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbug

Yikes Jax! I use the Hobbystar 6200, 5200 and 4600 in my Havoc and they come out barely warm. But I only do maybe 2-3 sustained full throttle speed runs per flight. The rest of the time is mixed throttle, averaging about 60-70%throttle, if that. Ending batt percentage usually never less than 35%.

I think maybe all the attempts to get 140+ outta your Havocs with upgraded motors did 'em in
I think I remember watching at least one of your videos (always get a kick out of them) where you really pushed the flight time and were almost waiting for LVC...
DB
Dead I can't argue that we fly our jets hard and fast, but that's what I buy jets for. I'm not dogging on HobbyStar, I think they are a great value and good battery if saving weight is a primary concern. I think they will be fine for most people who don't push their jets. In my one area that I can defend, yes we did push that one 8000 mah HS battery for the sake of setting a flight time record so I'll give that one a pass as it has puffed too. But believe it or not we always fly with voltage alarms and my average post flight battery has 15-20% left in it. I never charge above 1c so I do try to take care of my batteries (most of the time). For now I'm sticking with the more proven Admirals, Roaring Tops etc as they can take everything we throw at them and more.
Last edited by Jax Quad; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 10:39 AM
My Hyundai Elantra will do 178, all you have to do is push it out the back of a C-130 at 20,000ft.
That counts as an accurate top speed ......right?
Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks
I remember being boring. Didn't work for me.
Some may see it as boring, some may see it as accurate/true readings. Whatever works for you!
Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop
My Hyundai Elantra will do 178, all you have to do is push it out the back of a C-130 at 20,000ft.
Only if you have a single data point GPS reading and have a brand new Graphene battery on board could that speed be validated, and then, the speed would have to be displayed as capitalized numbers. I'm sure you would be getting excellent fuel economy though
Last edited by seng30904; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Better yet---just leave it in the C130 and it will do over 300
Sep 18, 2019, 12:13 PM
Retired US Navy
Doubt that's what it's speedometer will say...
Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Just put the number out there and let it go. There will be believers and non-believers. GPS does have it's flaws (ask my friend with the 64mph Avanti) and the speed others have achieved and that you have 35 years of flying RC doesn't really matter.

I think it's a valid number even though I'm surprised by it. 40MPH more than others is quite a bit. But my mine has the low kV motor doing 108A, 3300W and about 145 with a dive.
145mph in a dive sounds more like a believable number for avanti. 178mph is 33mph more than that. it takes more than a kV difference to make up 30mph. You probably need to double the power to get there.

There's always folks quoting numbers that's 30% higher than what I could reliably get. Its gotten to a point where newcomer to a thread are taking those bogus number as accepted truth and spread it as legends.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks
And the 8s jetfan v3 with het 1865kv setup in the FW Avanti is FACTUALLY known and MULTIPLE TIMES DUPLICATED to run 136-140 STRAIGHT AND LEVEL. So why the doubt that I got 178 from a dive with brand new graphene batteries?
I compared the gps unit to my car Speedo and Google gps and it was consistent.
I don't have your power set up, but I do have an avanti and have seen other 8S setups. Your number sounds very high hence the doubt. You could be right that it in fact went that fast. But a photo shot with a GPS doesn't constitute proof. They are known to be glitchy.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Dead I can't argue that we fly our jets hard and fast, but that's what I buy jets for. I'm not dogging on HobbyStar, I think they are a great value and good battery if saving weight is a primary concern. I think they will be fine for most people who don't push their jets. In my one area that I can defend, yes we did push that one 8000 mah HS battery for the sake of setting a flight time record so I'll give that one a pass as it has puffed too. But believe it or not we always fly with voltage alarms and my average post flight battery has 15-20% left in it. I never charge above 1c so I do try to take care of my batteries (most of the time). For now I'm sticking with the more proven Admirals, Roaring Tops etc as they can take everything we throw at them and more.
Jax, I believe you I think you make a good point. You flew an 8000??? I missed that one. You do fly 'em hard and fast. Now that I'm flying bigger jets with more space, I might try one of those Roaring Tops or some other premium brand down the road when I feel the need for 4 minutes of blazing full throttle Havoc--lol. But so far, for my style, the HS have been great with 32 flights spread over 3 batteries--still low IRs and just barely warm after flight.
DB
Sep 18, 2019, 01:30 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
ROFL! Given the shape of the Elantra, I'm betting it would hit terminal velocity before it reached 178 MPH in free-fall!

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 18, 2019, 01:36 PM
So has anyone played with the elevator 2mm downward deflection as stated in the manual or just balance it where the elevator is neutral? when I had the battery a little further back it would want to go in a spin bad until i balanced it where the elevator is neutral at high speed passes. I just dont see how the 2mm is required when the plane will snap roll easily set at the Cg point. sorry if this doesnt make sense but hopefully someone gets it.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:06 PM
breaks,

The 2mm is up on the ailerons not elevator.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish
breaks,

The 2mm is up on the ailerons not elevator.
They also called for 2mm down elevator. Not sure why but mine needed it
Last edited by nappyroots2182; Sep 18, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:21 PM
Retired US Navy
Would you believe... 229MPH with a pitot system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
I don't have your power set up, but I do have an avanti and have seen other 8S setups. Your number sounds very high hence the doubt. You could be right that it in fact went that fast. But a photo shot with a GPS doesn't constitute proof. They are known to be glitchy.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:27 PM
Of course we would believe you! I can see the numbers. I just wonder what’s holding you back? I just recorded these numbers on my super Cub. Brand new Graphene packs are the schdizzle!
Last edited by seng30904; Sep 18, 2019 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply