Sep 17, 2019, 08:58 PM
Nick Radle
Stock is a 3265, I believe, and v2 is 3270, so 5mm difference.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 10:09 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Why use a hard case? That will just hold the heat it even more. Glad it ended safely
HobbyStar actually sent me the wrong battery but it worked fine in my 70 mm jets. So I kept it. Unfortunately these lightweight batteries have a hard time in larger models. The cells were fine at 3.78 v approximately per cell. they just get way too hot and canít handle the larger power plants.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:25 AM
Hey guys,

I maidened my Havoc this past weekend... went great for the most part. There were at least two times though that the jet seemed to roll wildly on me un-commanded. One of the times I have on FPV DVR, at 0:13 in this clip.

Havoc Xe Flip (0 min 26 sec)

You can hear in the video that I'm climbing under full power, and then reduce the power about one second before the snap. Could there be an aerodynamic cause for this rather than mechanical issue?

Before the maiden, I performed the wing harness-ectomy and have all direct cable connections. I'm running the FrSky L9R receiver with failsafes set to trimmed center servo positions. CG was set to 110mm of the 100-125mm recommended range.

This is my first EDF so any input is valued! Definitely want to avoid these oh-crap moments in the future. Thanks.
Last edited by icjefferys; Sep 18, 2019 at 12:30 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
We have an Avanti motor in one Havoc and the upgraded fms in another Havoc. We prefer the Avanti powered Havoc. On another note, here is my forth Hobby Star battery to puff in an 80 sized edf.

Yikes Jax! I use the Hobbystar 6200, 5200 and 4600 in my Havoc and they come out barely warm. But I only do maybe 2-3 sustained full throttle speed runs per flight. The rest of the time is mixed throttle, averaging about 60-70%throttle, if that. Ending batt percentage usually never less than 35%.

I think maybe all the attempts to get 140+ outta your Havocs with upgraded motors did 'em in
I think I remember watching at least one of your videos (always get a kick out of them) where you really pushed the flight time and were almost waiting for LVC...
DB
Sep 18, 2019, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icjefferys
Hey guys,

I maidened my Havoc this past weekend... went great for the most part. There were at least two times though that the jet seemed to roll wildly on me un-commanded. One of the times I have on FPV DVR, at 0:13 in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOd...ature=youtu.be

You can hear in the video that I'm climbing under full power, and then reduce the power about one second before the snap. Could there be an aerodynamic cause for this rather than mechanical issue?

Before the maiden, I performed the wing harness-ectomy and have all direct cable connections. I'm running the FrSky L9R receiver with failsafes set to trimmed center servo positions. CG was set to 110mm of the 100-125mm recommended range.

This is my first EDF so any input is valued! Definitely want to avoid these oh-crap moments in the future. Thanks.
Looks to me like it rolled inverted then stopped, then you rolled it back over. It did not look like a stall/snap to me. If it did the same thing a second time I would guess either an aileron servo issue, or more likely the receiver did that itself. Let's see what everyone else says.....
Sep 18, 2019, 07:36 AM
Retired US Navy
Yes, I have gone to mostly Hobbystar myself and have dozens without any issue but I am old school and don't abuse them or any of my batteries. And I use the appropriate size and C for my application and flying style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbug

Yikes Jax! I use the Hobbystar 6200, 5200 and 4600 in my Havoc and they come out barely warm. But I only do maybe 2-3 sustained full throttle speed runs per flight. The rest of the time is mixed throttle, averaging about 60-70%throttle, if that. Ending batt percentage usually never less than 35%.

I think maybe all the attempts to get 140+ outta your Havocs with upgraded motors did 'em in
I think I remember watching at least one of your videos (always get a kick out of them) where you really pushed the flight time and were almost waiting for LVC...
DB
Sep 18, 2019, 07:57 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
While I do agree Avanti is a better all-around plane, I highly doubt that 178 number. Avanti stock is more like 105mph straight and level. Those GPS units are known to be glitchy.
But he isn't flying his stock... so what does that 105 straight and level number have to do with his number from a modified one out of a 45 degree dive?
Sep 18, 2019, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
But he isn't flying his stock... so what does that 105 straight and level number have to do with his number from a modified one out of a 45 degree dive?
Moreso, I am not familiar with the specific GPS unit that was used in obtaining the 178mph, however, I use many others. It is all too common to get an erroneous reading from a GPS unit. Look at my graph below. This was taken from a small foamy, and the entire flight was flown "level". I also have the entire flight logged via Goggle Earth. You clearly see a "spike" in the flight path that depicts 120'ish mph. You see the mph graphed over "time". You can see where the graph depicts that the model accelerated from 80mph to 120mph, and then back to 80 mph in the span of .2 seconds. This is a known error, and is common with these GPS units. This model is a 80mph airplane all day long, and I assure you it has never seen 120mph. I would suggest the 178mph poster to provide a graph if his GPS unit is capable. If it's not capable of graphing, I would suggest he install 2 identical GPS units into the same model next time, and compare the numbers with each other. He may be a bit surprised.
I've got a 3s boat that commonly gets 150ish mph GPS readings from time to time, however, most all other readings are well below 30 mph. Does this make it a 150mph boat?
Last edited by seng30904; Sep 18, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:25 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
While I do agree Avanti is a better all-around plane, I highly doubt that 178 number. Avanti stock is more like 105mph straight and level. Those GPS units are known to be glitchy.
And the 8s jetfan v3 with het 1865kv setup in the FW Avanti is FACTUALLY known and MULTIPLE TIMES DUPLICATED to run 136-140 STRAIGHT AND LEVEL. So why the doubt that I got 178 from a dive with brand new graphene batteries?
I compared the gps unit to my car Speedo and Google gps and it was consistent.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:32 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
Moreso, I am not familiar with the specific GPS unit that was used in obtaining the 178mph, however, I use many others. It is all too common to get an erroneous reading from a GPS unit. Look at my graph below. This was taken from a small foamy, and the entire flight was flown "level". I also have the entire flight logged via Goggle Earth. You clearly see a "spike" in the flight path that depicts 120'ish mph. You see the mph graphed over "time". You can see where the graph depicts that the model accelerated from 80mph to 120mph, and then back to 80 mph in the span of .2 seconds. This is a known error, and is common with these GPS units. This model is a 80mph airplane all day long, and I assure you it has never seen 120mph. I would suggest the 178mph poster to provide a graph if his GPS unit is capable. If it's not capable of graphing, I would suggest he install 2 identical GPS units into the same model next time, and compare the numbers with each other. He may be a bit surprised.
I've got a 3s boat that commonly gets 150ish mph GPS readings from time to time, however, most all other readings are well below 30 mph. Does this make it a 150mph boat?
Read my response above. What is so surprising about 178mph out of a dive when this plane, with this setup has been both gps'd and RADARED at 140 straight and level????
I'll put the unit in it again for sure, but people at the field stopped in their tracks on these speed passes, and I've seen enough fast stuff in my 35 years flying rc to judge for myself. I don't doubt 178ish at all.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:44 AM
So why the doubt that I got 178 from a dive with brand new graphene batteries?
I compared the gps unit to my car Speedo and Google gps and it was consistent.[/QUOTE]

I am not doubting your posted numbers, which were displayed on your GPS unit. Checking your GPS readings against you speedo in your car has little (to no) significance, as I also have done this many times as well. Fact remains as the GPS readings (as shown above) will often give erroneous readings, for seemingly unknown reasons. If you cannot graph/log the mph readings over real time, then the GPS unit has little (to no) value, if your desire is to give accurate results. Surely you can see this clearly observed on the graph above. In looking at the graph above, do you dispute the readings clearly show over 120mph? Surely it does. Now, compare that speed measured over time, and you begin to question the validity of the reading, Do you think it is rational (or even within the laws of physics) that this model can accelerate from 80mph, to well over 120mph, and then back to 80 mph within the time span of under .2 seconds? Surely something is amiss. So either the space/time continuum slowed down (in Augusta Georgia) at the exact moment that my flight occurred, or my GPS encountered an erroneous reading. I would presume the later.
Again, borrow a buddies GPS, and use it, in conjunction with yours during your next outing, and compare the results. Or better yet, get a GPS unit that allows you to graph the results (a better unit than you current have).
P.S. Capitalizing certain words to emphasize their importance isn't required, and does not add much weight to their validity. JUST SAYIN!
Last edited by seng30904; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:48 AM
Retired US Navy
Just put the number out there and let it go. There will be believers and non-believers. GPS does have it's flaws (ask my friend with the 64mph Avanti) and the speed others have achieved and that you have 35 years of flying RC doesn't really matter.

I think it's a valid number even though I'm surprised by it. 40MPH more than others is quite a bit. But my mine has the low kV motor doing 108A, 3300W and about 145 with a dive.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:14 AM
Landing is not optional
I hate what HH has started now. Everybody using speed readings out of a dive. Useless info in my opinion. I keep track of all my planes' speeds but all are averaged upwind/downwind passes using radar while flying flat and level. Guess I need to start all over to see how I stack up against the new techniques!
Sep 18, 2019, 10:28 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
I hate what HH has started now. Everybody using speed readings out of a dive. Useless info in my opinion. I keep track of all my planes' speeds but all are averaged upwind/downwind passes using radar while flying flat and level. Guess I need to start all over to see how I stack up against the new techniques!
I remember being boring. Didn't work for me. Back in the 90s early 2000s, it was the guy that had the balls to go the highest and dive the lowest that won speed contests.
You want me to do a 100 foot above ground straight and level, boring pass to get a baseline? I'll do it, but it's already been done. The Avanti is a 136-140mph jet with my setup. Been proven over and over. It's impressive, sure, bit boring for me. In fact, this 178mph pass didn't really raise my eyebrows(although it did many others).
Last edited by Bodywerks; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:35 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
P.S. Capitalizing certain words to emphasize their importance isn't required, and does not add much weight to their validity. JUST SAYIN!
I believe it is/does. Because apparently past data and the concept of the effects of gravity has escaped some people.
I'm not going to buy another gps to prove myself right.
If you're in AZ and have one, or a radar gun, stop on by...
Now, what if I keep putting the same gps in the jet and it keeps getting similar readings? Are you just going to assume it's consistently wrong?

Quick Reply