This thread is privately moderated by scousethief, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 12, 2019, 11:33 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
Mini-Review

ZLRC SG906 Beast 4K Dual GPS 5G WiFi FPV Foldable RC Drone Optical Flow Positioning R

https://bit.ly/2HCOUwW LINK

Without doubt this is the best entry level AP quad I have tested.!
After flying....
Bloody hell, I need to eat some hat here lol This thing is tons of fun ! it even beats my favourite Bugs B2. Testing the camera and RTH features today the quad landed within inches of its launch position consistently ! even when a low power RTH was initialised ( because i was enjoying myself ) the 906 landed inches away from were it took off. Honestly im gobsmacked literally lost for words.

I havent edited the video, no cuts no smoothing, cropping etc for no other reason than so you could can view it in its raw format and make your own mind up . There is some pixelation but that could be my phone or the WiFi connection or some other factor but i will get the Samsung S8 back tomorrow and will take more video as i test the 906 in a more enclosed environment that has a lot of WiFi noise from various houses and their devices. Now that i know the RTH and other GPS features work PERFECTLY i am more secure in the knowledge that should something go wrong the 906 will RTH exactly were it should.

ZLRC SG906 Beast 4K Dual GPS 5G WiFi FPV Foldable RC Drone Optical Flow Positioning RTF (9 min 49 sec)

The ZLRC is a Mavic "style" folding quadcopter that boasts high end features at a budget price. The 906 feature list comprises of altitude hold, orbit, way points, follow me and full gesture control coupled with Optical flow for precise position hold and a 4K camera that transmits live video over 5G WiFi in either raw format or at a reduced resolution of 1080p for EIS stabilized mode.
Multiple battery options are offered with the 2800mAh 7.4v battery suggesting 20+ minutes of flight per charge, thankfully the batteries contain a charging circuit and a standard micro usb cable is all that is required to recharge and get you back into the air. Whilst only a minor feature utilising a standard connector makes the 906 much more portable and if purchased with the shoulder bag the whole systems becomes compact and easy to carry around.

Charge anywhere, Fly everywhere.

The SG 906 arrives in a high quality white cardboard case with the end of the case being held closed by two small magnets. If a small handle was attached to one of the more secure sides a handy little carry case could be improvised.

Inside everything is kept nice and secure by a thick foam padding. The transmitters stick ends are packed away inside with the accessories.

Two manuals are included and a cover note with QR codes that link to instructional videos for operation of "The Beast". The Instructions for both the quadcopter and mobile device app contain a QR code for the app itself and for a digital copy of the instructions. Both are written in rough English but are easy enough to understand.

A full set of replacement propellers are supplied in the accessory pack.

The gimbal ends are supplied separately due to the way the accessories are packaged in the box. Once the small box is removed the transmitter will fuit into the box without needing to remove the ends again. The stick ends are aluminium or coated plastic, i cant decide which.

Gimbal ends in place. The transmitter is quite compact. A power button sits at the centre and above 4 leds denote the power level. Above each gimbal are two buttons which perform the functions of 'rates', Return to hom and phot and video functions. The display below provides notifications for Satellite lock, Height, Distance, Signal strength and Flight mode. Further testing of the transmitter is required.

At the rear of the transmitter 2 antennas fold relatively neatly against the top of the transmitter, these can also serve as a simple stand be rotating just the antenna ears. Attached to the antennas are the two sprung extensions which hold your mobile device in place, the spring is quite strong and had no problem holding my 6 inch Sony Xperia Xa1 Ultra in place.

The quadcopter itself is quite nice, the orange/red bar at the top contains one of the many status leds and everything folds together nicely. The plastic body has a matt finish rather than the typical tacky shiny plastic and aside from the red bulls head decal the silver and black scheme is nicely understated, a version with white accents is also available.....probably for fans of that fruit branded cellular device.

The battery cavity is quite large, the multi connector can be seen in the lower half of the photo as can part of the internal electronics. Personally i would have preferred that this connector was internal , this would enable all parts to be enclosed within the main body and ensure no stray "bits" could touch those sensitive electronics. The only components on view are the solder points for the battery connector and some small wires, but, i dont need to see that so it shouldnt be seen, this isnt a race quad were i might want to perform upgrades or modifications. CLOSE THAT GAP.

The bottom of the quadcopter is were the 2.4 and 5ghz antennas sit. The forward section is a 'removable' camera unit, this also houses the 5ghz transmitter and the Optical flow camera. This piece will clip off giving some hope for upgrades such as higher quality sensors or maybe night vision cameras.

The main camera is a "4k" camera offering resolutions of either stabilised 1080p or raw 4K. The camera lens is also mounted to a single axis servo giving a variable image angle for some panoramic shots. I have attached some extra shots of the basic camera teardown. There is nothing much to note other than the use of a real servo instead of the typical brushed motor and gear, this should at least mean that camera movement should be smoother. The servo is controlled via a slider on the OSD.

The props are 2 independently moving folding props and will probably need balancing to increase stability and to help remove unwanted vibrations or 'jello' from the video stream.

On the lower part of each arm of the quadcopter are navigation/orientation status leds. They are quite bright and should be able to be seen from a reasonable distance.

These quads always remind me of the "Head crabs" from the Half Life games.

[img]https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/8/4/0/9/2/a12059353-142-DSCN0034.JPG/img]

The 2800mAh battery is quite large, the casing is similar to the Bugs B2 battery but with a larger blocky end that houses the charger circuit, micro usb , leds and power button

The use of a micro usb socket as a recharge port is an excellent idea, yes charging will be slower than using a dedicated proprietary charger but the convenience that this offers is definitely attractive and Usb ports are everywhere these days, even my neighbours electric bike has usb ports.

The batteries multiport connector, more and more of these AP quadcopters are using battery connectors that are proprietary in favour of the generic XT60 or Xt30. Im assuming that there is some sort of redundancy accompanying the increase in power connections or at least i hope there some form of redundancy.

The end casing of the battery has a clip at the top for locking the battery in place, four leds denote the batteries power level and in-use status and a simple power button is responsible for turning the 906 on/off. To turn on or off the quadcopter you simply press the power button until all 4 leds light up (on ) or turn off (off ). The leds also indicate charge status with all 4 leds being turned on when the battery is fully charged.

**Reserved For Video**
Last edited by scousethief; May 19, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 11:25 PM
Looks very nice! When did you order ?
May 15, 2019, 04:40 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Gdrone
Looks very nice! When did you order ?
Hi apologies for the late reply, I spent yesterday testing the failsafe on this quad, happily I can report that this quad WILL power down stopping the motors with a loss of Transmitter and Wi-Fi signal. It will continue to operate with only one devise connected This is important because I have had experiences with other AP quads that when an issue has occurred the quad has continued to flyaway. Thankfully this one will stop in an emergency situation. The quad itself took about 6 days to arrive by Royal Mail delivery.
May 17, 2019, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
Hi apologies for the late reply, I spent yesterday testing the failsafe on this quad, happily I can report that this quad WILL power down stopping the motors with a loss of Transmitter and Wi-Fi signal. It will continue to operate with only one devise connected This is important because I have had experiences with other AP quads that when an issue has occurred the quad has continued to flyaway. Thankfully this one will stop in an emergency situation. The quad itself took about 6 days to arrive by Royal Mail delivery.
That's a quite tough problem - power down ! Waiting for your report on this issue.
May 17, 2019, 06:08 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
All functions work perfectly
May 19, 2019, 01:54 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Thread OP
This is without doubt the best entry level quad I have tested so far.

Quick Reply