May 12, 2019, 11:23 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Discussion

F5J in Sacramento - June 22-23, 2019

Sacramento Valley Soaring Society is pleased to announce the F5J in Sacramento contest for 2019. This is our 3rd annual hosting of an F5J USA Tour event.

Name: F5J-USA-Logo-150px.png
Views: 0
Size: 11.4 KB
Description: Name: SVSS-Logo-250px.png
Views: 1
Size: 13.4 KB
Description:

Event Date: June 22-23, 2019

Location: Grasslands Regional Park, Davis California. Location, GPS, and directions here

Event Coordinator: Bill Curry

Officials: CD- Chris Bajorek, Scorekeeper- John Eaton

Pilot fee: $55 seniors, $35 juniors and first-time Tour pilots. Fee includes Subway sandwich trays, chips, and water both days.

Registration: Registration at http://www.f3xevents.com. Registration cutoff is noon Fri June 21. All pilots must be AMA members.
Pilots list is here

Friday June 21 - Open Flying - The field will be open for practice all day.

Awards:
1st - 5th award plaques
Lowest “full duration” launch for each day (qualifying rounds)
Newbie certificate awards for 1st - 3rd.

Contest affiliation: F5J USA Tour

Contest rules here.
FAI rules clarifications and deviations:
1. Emergency motor restarts allowed in exchange for a zero flight.
2.Altimeter hardware allowed but altimeter telemetry is forbidden during the contest.
3. Land from any direction - We plan to allow this but will confirm details at the pilots meeting each day.

Event rules and processes here. The only deviation from this list is the pilots meeting at 8:00am and first flight 8:30am both days.

FAI F5J limiters required: Your planes must be outfitted with an approved limiter, listed here. If you do not have an approved limiter we have several loaners available.

Contest Classes: Two classes: Open and Newbie. A “Newbie” is someone who has never flown in an F5J USA Tour event before. The Newbie class is meant to encourage new guys to try out F5J. Newbie awards will be for qualifying rounds only. Note that all pilots will be placed in the same flight matrix per FAI and F5J USA Tour rules.

Contest format and scoring: Our goal is 12 qualifying rounds, then 3 fly-off rounds on Sunday after lunch. If weather reduces the number of qualifying rounds the fly-offs may be canceled. The field will be laid out with one set of landing tapes and a safety corridor. We will use GliderScore and smartphone scoring. Each pilot will enter their own scores. Smartphone scoring also allows pilots to view the standings in real time. Install a QR Code scanner before you get to the field so you can scan your scorecard. If you do not have a smartphone your timing partner can enter scores for you.

Camping and Lodging: Dry camping is permitted on the field, no hookups. No open campfires. BBQ is okay using the club grill or your own contained BBQ unit. There are many motels and hotels nearby. The closest is Motel 6 at I-80 and Mace Blvd. 530-753-3777. If you are camping the entrance gate to the park will be left open Fri and Sat nights.

Food: Muffins will be provided both mornings. Lunch is included in your contest fee. Subway sandwiches, chips, and water will be provided both days. If you have special dietary requirements we will try to accommodate.

We are looking forward to seeing you at our event!
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 02:56 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
I plan to attend
May 13, 2019, 10:15 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Hi John, thanks for signing up. it will be great to have you flying up here again. The field is in great shape. Next time I'm there I'll take some pics and share.
May 15, 2019, 09:06 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
We are normally done with most of our season rain by now which usually means we have to rely on irrigation to keep our central area grass green through the rest of the year. However...we are in the midst of a rare late season rain storm that is going to keep our field even greener than usual. Below is a pic of our field that one of our members took from his ultralight in mid spring several years ago. So beautiful that we had some shirts made with it.

It's not too early to sign up. We're going to cut off registration at 150 pilots so don't wait too long!

Chris
May 17, 2019, 08:24 AM
I'm all registered Chris.... Looking forward to some BBQ with Proppy Jon! I heard Dale Olstinske is coming too.
Has Browning registered yet? Yeeeehaaaaaaaa.......
Is there a Pilot's List up yet?
May 17, 2019, 09:53 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Hey thanks for registering Weav! Pilots list is here. Get your planes ready.
May 17, 2019, 12:41 PM
I'm in!
Last edited by Bob McGowan; May 17, 2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: duplicate post
May 17, 2019, 12:42 PM
I'm in!

I think this will be a fun field for F5J. Usually over the course of 2 days there are times of easy reads/lift and other times which are very challenging to say the least. I predict most of us will be wishing for a second throw-out before the weekend is over. But then again, all you have to do is make the fly offs, not win the prelims. Strategy will be important. Wish I knew this new game well enough to have one.
May 17, 2019, 06:28 PM
My goals haven’t changed from last contest; not finish last, don’t hit anyone! LOL
May 17, 2019, 07:33 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Thanks for signing up Bob and Dale--and thanks for the chuckle Dale I know what you mean about the importance of a good F5J strategy Bob. Someone should write an in-depth book about it...could be a best-seller.
Yesterday, 05:01 PM
I am in, this will be fun!
Today, 12:05 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thread OP
Thanks for signing up Mark, you flew really well (#1) here last year. I see Dale Thompson also just signed up. 1 month to go...

I was at the field practicing for Visalia today with Dale Olstinske, Fred Weaver, Bill Curry, and Lou Fox (Fred maidened a new e-Xplorer that Dale O. built--flew great). Solid thermals up until 1pm when the thermals got bigger, quite turbulent, and tall enough to start condensing moisture into low clouds, maybe 3-4k feet up. Classical post-front conditions except...the front past through 2 days ago. The forecast had been for winds up to 10mph but that never materialized. The boomers were still churning well after 3pm when I finally left the field.

Beautiful day for practice, lots of low practice launches. Thermal turbulence was enough to kick around my plane a bit. 6oz of ballast helped.
Today, 11:46 AM
I will do my best!
where are the SAC boys Entries?? should be 4 to 6 entries more?
MB3

Quick Reply