May 11, 2019, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1/72 Flower class

This isn't an RC build so hopefully it's okay here!
Im trying to treat it as a series of kits rather than one big one which seems to help. It's a big learning curve. Thought I'd start with the engine room casing
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2019, 11:26 PM
Mmm, tugs...
But of course! Did you get the full GLS PE set? I fought that battle once:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Snowberry-1-72
Last edited by patmat2350; May 12, 2019 at 01:09 AM.
May 12, 2019, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, using the GLS set

Comparing the kit parts to the GLS bits

Started to make the engine room vents tonight, annoyingly I was missing half of one vent. Aha, I thought, not to worry. I had in my drawer of things that may come in useful an old pair of Sony earphones which if you squint a bit could almost look like a vent. Just needs a bit more fettling and I'm sure you won't really notice the difference

The last photo is the three kit vents dry fitted to the deck to get a look at how they'll look in place
May 13, 2019, 07:38 AM
boat butcher
Welcome to the forum .

Mark
May 20, 2019, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Been away at the local vintage transport show this weekend showing the land rover, back to the model now though and done a bit of work on the cowl vents by thinning the plastic of the cowl itself to be a more scale appearance and replacing the thick moulded band with a PE one.

My Sony earphone to a cowl vent conversion is going well and with a bit more filling and sanding should soon be looking about right
May 21, 2019, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
Couple more bits done this evening. I put a coat of primer on the superstructure purely to get it to be one colour and to see how much joint work I need to do (a fair amount but a lot better than I was expecting considering how many times it's been faffed about with). Now everything is the same colour it's much easier for me to work with

Also carried on doing a bit more with the engine room skylight
May 21, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
That's the skylight panels on, will do the hinges and catches tomorrow. Excuse the mess but the second picture is just an overall shot of the ship with a few bits on
May 29, 2019, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Started fitting hinges to the skylight and while the glue was drying I thought I'd do a little bit of painting
May 30, 2019, 06:10 AM
Nice work.
Going to be a really nice model when finished.
Jun 08, 2019, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Was missing a cowl vent, one Sony headphone and some filling and sanding and I have a replacement

Also made up a ladder this evening and done a little more on the engine room skylight assembly
Jun 12, 2019, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Made another ladder and also made up the ledge anchor mount to go on the back of the superstructure. One more ladder to make (thankfully)
Jun 13, 2019, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
Made the final ladder tonight and also assembled the Downton hand pump (not sure what this was used for)
Jul 01, 2019, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Bit more done tonight. Finished off the skylight, painted and dry fitted in position. 4th photo shows a comparison between the GLS skylight and the revell kit version.

Also made a start on two more watertight hatches. Really enjoying this build so far, it's a challenge but the results are satisfying especially when you compare the bits to the kit versions
Jul 24, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Little more work done, the engine room casing is looking busier now. Fitted the lockers and the handles for the aft watertight door. Once I paint the bulwarks and decks this can be glued into place. Does anybody know what the thing on the back is for? Looks like a davit if some sort but not sure
Jul 29, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Started work on the depth charge launchers this evening. The etch has lightly engraved markings which I punch lightly with a sharp centre punch to make the rivet shapes

Quick Reply