May 23, 2019, 07:31 AM
I found that Titebond glue works really well in place of slow cure epoxy. At least for the most part. Titebond also has a stronger bond than epoxy does too. It is a little more thin and gets into the pores of the wood better. It sets up relatively fast in comparison to slow epoxy too. It is fuel proof and the newest Titebond III is waterproof too. I have built a number of airplanes and flown them using only titebond glue and it wasn't the glue that failed if the planes crashed.
Last edited by earlwb; May 23, 2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add more info
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 08:43 AM
Dieselized User
Are there really not any suppliers of epoxy for more industrial uses like boat building. Seems natural on an island. The hobby epoxies are junk anyhow. http://www.epoxysales.com/products.html
May 23, 2019, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
Are there really not any suppliers of epoxy for more industrial uses like boat building. Seems natural on an island. The hobby epoxies are junk anyhow. http://www.epoxysales.com/products.html
I would think auto body suppliers would have slow cure epoxy as well.
May 23, 2019, 12:01 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
I am going to check the boat suppliers next. Most of them are on the west side of the island and I need to take a ride.
May 23, 2019, 12:01 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I would think auto body suppliers would have slow cure epoxy as well.
I am sure they are hidden somewhere. I just have to find them.
May 23, 2019, 06:46 PM
TigreJohn
Ever check the local airport for a general avation supply store? The West slow expoxy has a pot life of 40 minutes and they advertise a 9 hour time for a partial hardening.
May 24, 2019, 12:16 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski
Ever check the local airport for a general avation supply store? The West slow expoxy has a pot life of 40 minutes and they advertise a 9 hour time for a partial hardening.
Sorry no such luxury over here.
May 24, 2019, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Sorry no such luxury over here.
Many modern aircraft have some fiberglass parts and some whole made of fiberglass. So they just junk them when the fiberglass is damaged?
May 24, 2019, 11:44 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Many modern aircraft have some fiberglass parts and some whole made of fiberglass. So they just junk them when the fiberglass is damaged?
This is Hilo and a very small community with hardly anyone flying general aviation. Not too many modern aircraft with fiberglass parts hanging around in the airport. If the owners (less than a handful) had to repair any fiberglass plane they may have to fly to Honolulu (260 miles away over water) to get epoxy.

We used to be able to get a good supply of dope because of the crop dusting business for the sugar cane fields. However the sugar cane industry collapsed a long time ago and the crop dusters are just junks sitting on the edge of the old part of the airport.
May 24, 2019, 11:49 AM
There are a number of boat repair shops in/around Hilo which specialize in fiberglass boats, and some may have a selection of epoxies you may find suitable. They may also have some tips on curing epoxy in the Hilo climate.
May 27, 2019, 07:36 AM

Hawaii flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I am sure they are hidden somewhere. I just have to find them.
I flew Coast Guard C-130ís at Barbers Point and RC at the abandoned west end from 84-87.
A local flyer and I mixed our own FAI fuel as nitro was unobtainable. Worked OK for my OS 61 Four Stroke on a World Engines Cap 21 ARF (snap 21!). I flew bungee sailplanes at the local soccer field and would travel to the MidwestSoaring club and met Dave who was making surfboards and 10 ft sailplanes using the same glass and poly resin as surfboards. His designs were heavy but you needed the weight to penetrate the high winds of the inland slope site.
May 27, 2019, 11:40 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
I flew Coast Guard C-130ís at Barbers Point and RC at the abandoned west end from 84-87.
A local flyer and I mixed our own FAI fuel as nitro was unobtainable. Worked OK for my OS 61 Four Stroke on a World Engines Cap 21 ARF (snap 21!). I flew bungee sailplanes at the local soccer field and would travel to the MidwestSoaring club and met Dave who was making surfboards and 10 ft sailplanes using the same glass and poly resin as surfboards. His designs were heavy but you needed the weight to penetrate the high winds of the inland slope site.
Ah yes, Barbers Point. That place has developed a lot now. I managed to get methanol from local drag racers. Continue to stock pile them. The issue is getting oil now. I stock pile from vendors willing to ship when I can. Polyester resin is not hard to find. Slow cure epoxy resin is. I need to find a boat builder supply store on the west side of the island to see if they have large quantity.
May 29, 2019, 05:11 PM
Pro Hoarder
Have you tried Aircraft Spruce online? they sell west system in small quantities? can that be shipped to Hi?
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 29, 2019, 08:18 PM
I just spent 3 weeks in Maui with family. Flew out of Maui Radio Control Modelers club. Nice bunch of guys over there. The winds were not something I was use to of course. But a nice flying club none the less.

http://www.mauirc.com/
May 30, 2019, 03:07 AM
Yeah winds in some places are nuts. I'm in Southwest Spain you can literally see the Atlantic ocean from the field plus Spain is one big plateau... I'm having to really learn how to deal with winds that I never had to before.

And as far as the Evo engines being discontinued... I'm still wondering why. Seemed like the 10cc gassers were hot sellers. I mean there is the RCGF 10cc and the NGH 9cc but... Then again, you can get NIB or great shape used glow 4 strokes 8-15cc for like $50-$100 and those actually get really good fuel economy especially converted to CDI, ESPECIALLY on 0% nitro. But still...
Last edited by scottydsntknow; May 30, 2019 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply