May 16, 2019, 07:13 PM
I forgot about the Trump tariffs. I don't want to deal with China until they release the Canadian hostages from that Huawai thing. I suppose when it is over that we will somehow have to pay extra in this country and likely others because of the tariff thing. I am quite pleased with the two Evo .46s that I have. I will keep looking for used stuff. Glow seems to have gone out of favour lately, and guys want them gone. Kind of sad.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
I forgot about the Trump tariffs. I don't want to deal with China until they release the Canadian hostages from that Huawai thing. I suppose when it is over that we will somehow have to pay extra in this country and likely others because of the tariff thing. I am quite pleased with the two Evo .46s that I have. I will keep looking for used stuff. Glow seems to have gone out of favour lately, and guys want them gone. Kind of sad.
I don't think anyone wants glow gone it just happens that demand for glow is at a low point because it is being overshadowed by newer technology.
May 17, 2019, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira d
I don't think anyone wants glow gone it just happens that demand for glow is at a low point because it is being overshadowed by newer technology.
For many electric still sucks and will always suck. But when most switched to electric there was a glut of used engines on the market, I suppose that will last over a decade. Then eventually some demand for glow will return, but it will still be a specialty item.
May 17, 2019, 08:59 AM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11

Glow 4-Stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
For many electric still sucks and will always suck. But when most switched to electric there was a glut of used engines on the market, I suppose that will last over a decade. Then eventually some demand for glow will return, but it will still be a specialty item.
I think the only thing hurting Glow is the nitro methanol fuel prices and obsession with boring electric power. Glow is a 'step up' from Electric.

Additionally, Glow engines, especially the four strokes, have the most character. You want character

Luckily i hear my Saito four strokes will run on 5% nitro, even 0% if needed. I could even hook up power to the glow plug and use cheep methanol and oil blend, no nitro.

There are plenty of mechanically minded folks that would enjoy glow. To them i say, 'try a four stroker they are like the real full-size airplane engines.' But very simple and reliable.

I like all the power systems but Glow has the most character, history, and diversity. There's got to be millions of good used glow engines out there--all makes, models, and years. Don't throw them away! Even if they are damaged... Sell them We glow guys are getting some nice finds

I put all my LiPos on Storage Charge. I'm not messing around with those things. What is that, like 600F shooting flame that wont go out!? Imagine the fun when crashing one of those full-size electric cars or hybrids. There are literally hundreds of little rc car batteries in those cars to make 'a battery'. If those batteries catch on fire you're screwed!
May 17, 2019, 09:46 AM
Components for glow fuel are about the same now as before electrics became popular. Nitro has gone up about 10 a gallon. Oil has gone up some about $5-8 a gallon. Methanol is about the same or slightly cheaper.

BTW don't by Klotz or other oils by the quart. In fact I see no need to buy Klotz as it is no better than other oils. You can buy castor oil much cheaper from Morgans or VP. And Morgan's synthetic is probably the same oil as Klotz.

The reason fuel prices have gone up is the low demand. With low demand the fuel mixers must raise prices to make ends meet.
May 17, 2019, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyshooter223
I think the only thing hurting Glow is the nitro methanol fuel prices and obsession with boring electric power. Glow is a 'step up' from Electric.

Additionally, Glow engines, especially the four strokes, have the most character. You want character

Luckily i hear my Saito four strokes will run on 5% nitro, even 0% if needed. I could even hook up power to the glow plug and use cheep methanol and oil blend, no nitro.

There are plenty of mechanically minded folks that would enjoy glow. To them i say, 'try a four stroker they are like the real full-size airplane engines.' But very simple and reliable.

I like all the power systems but Glow has the most character, history, and diversity. There's got to be millions of good used glow engines out there--all makes, models, and years. Don't throw them away! Even if they are damaged... Sell them We glow guys are getting some nice finds

I put all my LiPos on Storage Charge. I'm not messing around with those things. What is that, like 600F shooting flame that wont go out!? Imagine the fun when crashing one of those full-size electric cars or hybrids. There are literally hundreds of little rc car batteries in those cars to make 'a battery'. If those batteries catch on fire you're screwed!
Not buying electrics or hybrids till they either find a less flammable battery, or put them in say a 1/2" thick steel plate box with lots of padding around the battery, vented of course.
May 17, 2019, 09:56 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:

The reason fuel prices have gone up is the low demand. With low demand the fuel mixers must raise prices to make ends meet.
It's the haz mat fee.
May 17, 2019, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
It's the haz mat fee.
The fuel is high before the hazmat fee. No hazmat fee on nitro or oil, nor methanol when you buy it locally. People buy quarts to avoid it, but most of the time a case of quarts is more expensive per gallon than a case of gallon jugs.
May 17, 2019, 10:47 AM
I have been flying electrics for years, primarily because EP is best for my small to medium sized built up and ARF scale models. I have limited mobility with two knee replacements and am not able to retrieve models easily after a "flame-out" or dead stick incident which are all too common with glow power. There is a certain charm with the sound and smell of a 2 or 4 stroke , but the mess and unreliability of small glow engines is unacceptable for my use. The cost and difficulty of buying glow fuels is the other half of the problem for me. I have tinnitus which I blame on years of flying 1/2A to .40 glow. I have never thought that 4S engines sounded more "scale-like" than 2S especially in warbirds and golden age racing designs. Just the opinions of an 80-year old life long model flyer.
May 17, 2019, 01:11 PM
I rarely had a dead stick with glow. In fact I have more trouble with my gas powered lawn equipment. I even have more trouble with battery powered tools.
May 18, 2019, 09:55 AM
Small electrics have brought a ton of new people to the hobby at a very cheap cost especially younger people. I believe the RC plane part of the sport has dwindled considerably and the life saver is electric, quiet easy to fly in smaller areas do not need a specific place to fly. I can take my 3D electrics and fly them outside my garage door my Nitro`s and Gasser`s I have to drive to fly them.
May 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Yep, we have lost a lot of skilled designers, builders, and fliers over the last few years.
Replaced by he instant gratification, plug and play and throw it away type.
May 18, 2019, 11:41 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondranch
Small electrics have brought a ton of new people to the hobby at a very cheap cost especially younger people. I believe the RC plane part of the sport has dwindled considerably and the life saver is electric, quiet easy to fly in smaller areas do not need a specific place to fly. I can take my 3D electrics and fly them outside my garage door my Nitro`s and Gasser`s I have to drive to fly them.
Instant microwave dinners have introduced a whole new generation to the art of cooking.
May 18, 2019, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
Instant microwave dinners have introduced a whole new generation to the art of cooking.
And just as good as a foamy.
May 18, 2019, 11:57 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:
And just as good as a foamy.
You mean the taste, right? I agree.

Quick Reply