May 11, 2019, 08:00 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Help!

Dancing wizard

Hey everyone, I could really use some help with my Eachine Wizard. A few weeks ago I had it out for an hour or so, using my new FXT Viper goggles. Everything ran fine. I dumped it in some mud a couple of times while trying to land, but it kept running. I took it home and cleaned it up with a rag and toothbrush and a little water on the brush. I didnít get the electronics wet.

Ever since then, it wonít operate properly. I can arm it, but when I try to lift off, it tips over and stops. I flashed the firmware in Cleanflight, recalibrated the accelerometer, checked all settings, even reset to default this last time. Iíve made sure the props are correct.

Here is a video of what it does.

Wizard Dance (0 min 10 sec)

Any thoughts? Anyone have this problem before?
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 12:47 AM
If it were me, I'd carefully take everything apart and closely inspect the ESCs and the flight controller for mud and grime on the board. Clean it gently with a soft bristle tooth brush and 99% alcohol until it was clean and then re-inspect all the electronics for any missing caps or resistors.

It's handy to have some shrink wrap and a heatgun to re-wrap the ESCs.

I'd probably inspect the insides of the motors too for good measure.

Edit: I also ran across this,

Check post#2, might want to inspect your ESCs
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ly-bad-as-well
Last edited by WolvenOps; May 14, 2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Possible help from another thread.
May 14, 2019, 06:36 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Wolven
I looked at my video again after reading your post, and I think the right rear prop isnít spinning as fast as the rest of them. I now remember that immediately after I cleaned the quad, I tested it, and one motor was intermittent. Not sure which one. Eventually they all spun up, but the video makes me suspicious.
Thanks for your advice, Iíll go over it with a fine toothed comb.
May 14, 2019, 01:59 PM
I bet you it's the trick of the framerate! I did notice the back of the quad evenly lifted.

I started playing the video really slowly this morning and I noticed the props caught the paver, but after it started wobbling, I wondered if that was what caused the whole wobble initially. Was this the only test you performed? Have you tried it in a grassy area?

If you didn't give it forward pitch, perhaps your trim is adjusted for the quad to lift off at an angle?

Good luck!
May 14, 2019, 08:14 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Just checked my radio. There was some trim applied to pitch and roll. I must have done that the last time I flew. And since then I recalibrated the quad so maybe now the trims are not needed and in fact incorrect.
I reset the trims to zero. Iíll test again soon
May 14, 2019, 09:37 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Tested it again with trims all rezeroed. Did the same thing. Arms fine, all motors look and sound good. I can make it pitch forward or back and make it roll to the sides while still mostly on the ground. But as soon as I try to lift off, it wobbles and flips. Could I have a bad gyro?
Last edited by AleRRon; May 15, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
May 14, 2019, 10:00 PM
It might be possible, but try ruling out your connections. In that link in Post 2, Abenn's response to a similar issue mentioned there could be a solder problem between the ESC and motor. I'd look at the 3 3 wire connections on your escs.

I'd also further inspect the escs for debris and or missing smd chips. You can cut the shrink wrap off and later wrap it with electrical wire or shrink wrap after.

Quick Reply