May 11, 2019, 06:43 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Build Log

Mitsubishi J2M3 - versiom combat

Hello.

I would like to present you a model of the plane, which is different from the others, which are included in the "Combat" class. So far, I have not seen him in any competition in Poland. It seems to be very thick, bulky. It is a unique Mitsubishi J2M3. The combates I know and see have very narrow hulls. They resemble their real prototypes, although they are a simplification. I would like to build a model with shapes similar to the original, keeping all the requirements of the ESA regulations.

I called Mark (http://www.napolskimniebie.pl/) and told him about my idea. I knew he was busy with numerous projects. I asked if he would find time to cut out a very unusual model for me. I waited a long time for Marek to agree. He asked only if it was just to be the core of the plane or a ready airplane? I chose the core because I wanted to shape it myself. Soon I received a cut out hull core with wings. I would like very much to let my model reflect the beauty of the J2M3 aircraft.

I have a week of vacation, which should be enough to build a model. If anyone is interested in this relationship, I will try to add new information every day.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 11:53 AM
I also plan to build new models for air combat, that's why I am interested in your project.
May 12, 2019, 12:02 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
The first day.
The most important thing is to shape the fuselage of the plane. It seems to be easy. Just cut off the excess EPP foam. In practice, this is a labor-intensive activity and requires diligence. From Mark I received the core of the plane's fuselage with perfect proportions. I used the plans I found on the internet. I measured the cross-sections in all places and cut the EPP foam piece by piece. Finally, I ground the fuselage with several types of sandpaper. It took me, with small breaks, almost all day. UFFF! I hope that the hardest is behind me.
May 13, 2019, 12:29 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Second day
In the fuselage of the plane I cut off the cabin and made a plaster cast. Now I have to wait for it to dry. It will take some time because the cabin is big. In the meantime, I'll make a wing. I glue the carbon reinforcements and servos of ailerons. The wing is precisely cut so there will be no problems with its gluing.
May 15, 2019, 02:19 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
3th day
Today I mounted and encased the engine (ABC-Power A2212). Then I glued the wing to the fuselage. Connection lines, as in the original, I masked on both sides with two mirrored, longitudinal, triangular elements that improve the aerodynamics of the aircraft (I have no idea what they are called in a real plane). I've sanded the connection with sandpaper put on the roller. At the end I made incisions in the fuselage on the exhaust nozzles. You can see the final effect in the picture.
May 15, 2019, 12:32 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
4th day

In the next step, I assembled the plane's tail. I glued the vertical and horizontal stabilizer. I used a Tower Pro SG90 servo to drive the elevator. There will be no rudder. Under the fuselage I glued the oil pan. Finally, I managed the interior of the pilot's cabin, although to this day I do not know what is behind his back. Now I could make the cover of the cockpit. My plaster cast of the cabin has already dried. I put a bottle of water on it and warmed it with hot air. After cutting off, the cabin cover is almost ready. The last element for today is the landing gear. The J2M3 had a retractable landing gear. In my model the landing gear will be screwed in. It will be used only for photographic purposes. For air combat in flight, the landing gear will be removed. The plane looks better on wheels than when it lies on the grass like a flattened frog. For this purpose, I inserted two threaded plastic bushes into the wing and fastened the tail wheel with a neodymium magnet.
Unfortunately, I do not have a four-blade propeller 8x45, so it must be three-bladed.
May 17, 2019, 02:18 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Last day
I finished the canopy of the cabin and painted the model. I assembled and started the electronics.

Overall dimensions:
wingspan: 86 cm; length: 70 cm; hight (to the top of the cabin): 15 cm; diameter of the fuselage in the thickest place: 10,4 cm; total weight of the model ready for flight: 418 g;

The model is big. With other models of this type it looks thick and heavy. It has a lot of free space in the fuselage, it's easy to adjust the center of gravity. In the hands it seems disproportionately light in relation to size. However, it meets all the requirements of the ESA regulations. Now I think about the next model. I have not decided yet which one to choose. Soon the first flight and movie of the Mitsubishi J2M3. For now, I am waiting for good weather.
Last edited by Mareczek; May 17, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
May 26, 2019, 05:57 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
This is the promised movie from the first flight of the model:

Mitsubishi J2M3 (2 min 4 sec)

Quick Reply