May 10, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 110” Timber

Glad to see some real nice models coming out.
This looks fantastic. I think they offer their XCub landing gear as an option for it.

I’ll have to see if I have the room for this bird in my small space. I dig a good bush plane and this looks like it hits all the marks.

Hangar 9® Timber® 110 30-50cc ARF (3 min 22 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2019, 07:56 PM
Same Day Delivery
Only $800 Bucks ! Without the articulated landing gear.
May 12, 2019, 08:46 AM
It will be short lived like all of Hangar 9 stuff.
May 12, 2019, 11:23 PM
352nd FG Association
I doubt it. Looked pretty darn impressive to me. Here's video I did at SEFF:

The Timber 110 at SEFF 2019 (8 min 1 sec)
May 18, 2019, 11:31 PM
Not $800, but $699.99
May 19, 2019, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Yep, 700 for the kit. Yes it’s not cheap but when you consider the fact that this will ship in a huge box (or two) and space inside a delivery truck is expensive these days we know the “free shipping” is built into the price of the ARF.
I used to build my own kits back in the day when I had the space and work area for it. I don’t have the luxury of that kind of space in my current situation and what got me back into the hobby after many years were these ARF’s.

I do think the articulated gear could have been included with this but I would probably just throw some larger low bounce tires on it and be done.
May 23, 2019, 07:22 AM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409
It will be short lived like all of Hangar 9 stuff.
All of the Hangar 9 stuff??? Really! So the planes that we are still selling now after 12 years in production. Are they what you would call short lived?

If customers buy them ( In enough quantity to meet the factories minimum order requirements... and I mean actually buy them. Not just talk about buying them. In my experience. Most modelers will go with a new product rather than re visit an old one)

And

If the factories who produce them are still around to make them ( I have lost count of the number of balsa wood arf factories that have gone under in the last 5 years) ......

We have no reason on this earth to discontinue a product. It costs us hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring a H9 product to market. However. Committing to a container of a certain model based on the " If it was still around I would for sure buy one" line that I have heard for decades would be poor business practice. This trade is certainly not at a point that will support poor business practice. Use the myriad of companies that are no longer around as an example of that! I have real life numbers and I can tell you. Its either discontinue the old models that are not selling. Or stop making new balsa ARF's!

Regards Ali Machinchy
Hangar 9 Product Developer.
May 23, 2019, 07:31 AM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahspidy
Yep, 700 for the kit. Yes it’s not cheap but when you consider the fact that this will ship in a huge box (or two) and space inside a delivery truck is expensive these days we know the “free shipping” is built into the price of the ARF.
I used to build my own kits back in the day when I had the space and work area for it. I don’t have the luxury of that kind of space in my current situation and what got me back into the hobby after many years were these ARF’s.

I do think the articulated gear could have been included with this but I would probably just throw some larger low bounce tires on it and be done.

I am glad someone else factors in the Free shipping aspect. Take that away from the price and work out what the value is for a 110" Model with carbon wing tubes. Genuine Ultracote covering. Multi role capable....from club sport model through to unlimited 3d capable and Stol capable performance. Landing light and Nav light ready ( with lens covers ) Leading edge devices included. Aerotow ready. Pre Pin Hinged. Float ready and Sprung Undercarriage ready out of the box. I am Bias I know. But I dont know of many planes as versatile as this, as big as this, as feature packed as this that sell for much cheaper?

Ref the U/C. This vendor did actually produce a sprung undercarriage for us. It was too heavy for my liking. I also knew that there were going to be many end users that wanted the T110 for its out and out 3d performance. Bolting 4-5 lbs of Undercarriage package to the plane ( In front of the CG ) would be super detrimental to that type of flying. It also added to the price of the plane. Which would be a put off for those who would buy the plane, only to toss the heavy sprung gear because it took away from their enjoyment. So I decided to go the other way and keep the ticket price and AUW down. Those that wanted the sprung gear can just go ahead and order the Xcub gear and bolt it straight on and play. Or as Gahspidy mentioned. Just fit a set of low bounce tires and go play ?

Hope that makes sense?

Regards Ali
May 23, 2019, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
I see your point about the decision on the landing gear.
Makes sense to me. Most of us modify/customize many of our kits to our liking anyway so why include something that half the customers would remove (and wind up selling on the classifieds) or replace anyway.

Just curious, is there any communications between you (balsa ARF manufacturers) and the major IC engine manufacturers? It seems to me that without your success they wouldn’t sell enough engines to survive in these times. (That being with the electrics)

Quick Reply