Aug 25, 2019, 11:56 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Now that the glue is dry the right side of the cockpit is nice and strong.

I got the tail all sanded, made some triangle stock braces for the fin, and drilled the holes for the elevator joiner wire. The only thing left to do is to sand the trailing edge block that covers the torque rods and sand the blocks that I put on the trailing edge of the wing tips. I didn't want the ailerons to go all the way to the end, so I put about 2" of fixed trailing edge on each end. It's actually 3/8 x 1 inch balsa, which means I have to sand it to shape. Then I have to laminate 1/16 balsa to the ailerons because my aileron stock was too thin. That's all that's left, and then it's Monokote time!

For those of you who have been reading this since the beginning, you may recall that I said I would put an OS 25 FP on this plane, but the photos in Post #58 show an OS 25 SF. I'm sure nobody noticed that. But anyway, I think it's probably a better choice. I've had a moderately powered Miss Bikini before, and I enjoyed the super light weight, but this time it's going to be a bit heavier and a lot faster. I'm not really a speed demon, but I think my son will like it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 09:41 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Here's the Monokote project so far. I was going to use pearl green, but I realized that pearl green on a small, fast airplane might be problematic when landing on a grass runway. So I switched to everybody's favorite shade of orange. It's a funky color, but I think it's for the best.

I'll save the pearl green for a larger, slower plane.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:31 PM
Looks good
Sep 05, 2019, 12:14 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Thanks! I got the fuselage mostly covered this evening. I used the same curve on the fuselage, which is a little bit trickier. The two curves meet in front of the cockpit, and they make sort of a pointed arch on top, which I don't like. I think I'm going to have to cut a little piece of orange Monokote with a rounded curve, to put underneath where the two sides meet in the middle.
Sep 06, 2019, 12:34 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
All covered and assembled.

It shouldn't be hard to tell which way is up with this model.
Sep 06, 2019, 06:51 AM
Nicely done. I like it
Sep 06, 2019, 09:27 AM
+10 That one is a beauty. A really nice 'Sport Plane' and a classic.
Sep 06, 2019, 09:40 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Thanks!

I like a black stripe on an orange and white airplane, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle. I drew the curve on the computer and cut it out of office paper using the laser cutter, then traced it on the Monokote and cut it with a hobby knife. I deleted the files, but I still have the paper template, so I could try cutting a curved stripe from black Monokote. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll try it.
Sep 06, 2019, 09:44 AM
It needs the black stripe. It'll add a lot to an already good-looking model.

On my Kaos' and Shrike I did a black & silver pinstripes to separate orange and white.

Andy
Sep 06, 2019, 10:09 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Andy, those are some sharp looking models. It's amazing what a black pinstripe will do.

I have a black stripe on my Buzzard Bombshell. I tried placing it between orange and white and it looked good, but it looked even better on top of the white, leaving a white stripe. The Miss Bikini has some minor stains showing through the orange near the joint on the top fuselage arch, which could be covered by black, so I wouldn't leave a white stripe this time. Come to think of it, covering the white/orange joint means I don't need to match the existing curve exactly, because it won't be there any more.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:15 AM
Yeah, that's a nice touch on your plane too.

Andy
Sep 06, 2019, 11:47 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Thanks! I sometimes think my Monokote would look better if it were the first step in construction instead of the last. It's really easy to get tired of the project and start taking shortcuts.
Sep 06, 2019, 01:24 PM
ROFL! I agree! By the time I'm covering I just want to be done!

Andy
Sep 07, 2019, 12:16 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
It looks much better now.
Sep 07, 2019, 04:58 AM
Looks good. I always use the pinstripe, hides the mistakes I made lining up the different colors of Mononoke.

Quick Reply