May 26, 2019, 02:11 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
Here's the right wing.
TTha looks great, neat as a pin. I'm a fan of this construction as it is very efficient, but I'm surprised not to see csp strops on the ribs. You don't find them necessary here I guess? I always figured they helped with torsional stiffness mid-chord.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 05:58 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
........................................ csp strops on the ribs................................
What are these Bernard?
May 26, 2019, 06:31 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
What are these Bernard?
Oops! They're my typo entered on a little phone screen, for "cap strips". Sorry about that... I'd normally expect to see these on the top and bottom edges of the ribs turning them into I-beams, I was surprised not to see them here
May 26, 2019, 06:37 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Oops! They're my typo entered on a little phone screen, for "cap strips". Sorry about that... I'd normally expect to see these on the top and bottom edges of the ribs turning them into I-beams, I was surprised not to see them here
Aahh! And here was me thinking you were throwing in a new acronym on us!
But then, I am challenged by all acronyms, new and old.

Thanks,

Jim.
May 26, 2019, 09:09 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
I built the wing on a jig. I wanted to get the leading edge and the shear webs in place before removing it to make room for the left wing, so I did that much and pulled it off. When I have both halves built I'll put the center sheeting on both, and then the cap strips. The cap strips will be made of leftover scraps, so they're last.

I really like the wing jig. Everything is nice and straight. I'm still trying to decide whether to use a plywood joiner or fiberglass around the center section, or both.
May 26, 2019, 10:03 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
...I really like the wing jig...
Is it possible to elaborate on this a little, please (or have I missed a page somewhere ..? )..?
May 26, 2019, 12:26 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
I have an article about the wing jig on my website. http://www.balsaworkbench.com/?page_id=863
May 26, 2019, 12:31 PM

Many thanks, I'll study that this evening.
May 26, 2019, 12:47 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
The jig is not necessary, just convenient. The classic way to build a wing with symmetrical ribs is to block the trailing edge up off the plan. The jig is really nice, but you have to have holes in your ribs in exactly the right spot. This is easy with the laser cutter, of course. Whenever I cut out ribs, if they're not flat on the bottom they get jig holes. So building this wing on the jig is about as easy as it can be.

My jig is the RCM Wing Jig, which I found at a swap meet. You can see it in the article on my website. But you can easily build one out of a few scraps, some screws, and a couple of 1/4" rods.
May 26, 2019, 07:20 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
The jig is not necessary, just convenient. The classic way to build a wing with symmetrical ribs is to block the trailing edge up off the plan. The jig is really nice, but you have to have holes in your ribs in exactly the right spot. This is easy with the laser cutter, of course. Whenever I cut out ribs, if they're not flat on the bottom they get jig holes. So building this wing on the jig is about as easy as it can be.

My jig is the RCM Wing Jig, which I found at a swap meet. You can see it in the article on my website. But you can easily build one out of a few scraps, some screws, and a couple of 1/4" rods.
The article for the RCM wing jig is on Outerzone.

You can also sometimes find the GP Wing Jig, which is the same design adapted for mass production.
May 26, 2019, 07:28 PM
This all rings a faint bell in my aging grey cells (but fainly, masked by tinnitus...). I seem to remember seeing wing jig parts that could be 3D printed. I'll look again through my collection of 'stuff noted from t'web 'lest I forget'.
(Now, then, where did I save that folder..? Under '3D'..? Maybe 'RC'..? Or would it be in my 'Temp' folder..? Hmm, where did I put my trackball..?)
May 26, 2019, 07:54 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The article for the RCM wing jig is on Outerzone.

You can also sometimes find the GP Wing Jig, which is the same design adapted for mass production.
Yeah, that's the one. I think it says RCM on the box from Great Planes. I found mine on ebay for cheap.
May 27, 2019, 12:06 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
It took about an hour to build the left wing. Next step is to add the bottom center sheeting, the plywood joiner, then the top center sheeting.
May 27, 2019, 09:45 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Yeah, that's the one. I think it says RCM on the box from Great Planes. I found mine on ebay for cheap.
Yeah, I think it does reference the RCM article on the box. Mine came from my LHS, out of an estate sale.
Jun 04, 2019, 05:22 AM
Following along here love to see old school building going on !

Quick Reply