May 26, 2019, 10:47 AM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball
In my opinion, it is better to have panic feature and fly wishing you wouldn't ever need to use it than crashing without it and wishing you should have had it installed

Crashed heli = downtime and $$$ without being able to fly.
Fair enough ... as long as it is an option and doesn't hinder performance.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 10:59 AM
FL, Sanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011
Fair enough ... as long as it is an option and doesn't hinder performance.
Absolutely!

There were several unexpected events when I wish I had panic recovery feature, to name a few:
- I was flying at the new field which I didn't thoroughly inspect beforehand (I didn't notice ants) - ants almost ate me while I was trying to land, even though it took me only 5-10 seconds to bring the aircraft into the safe-to-land area. Had to visit doctor afterwards due to severity of symptoms and I don't have any allergies LOL Panic/safemode could have enabled me to use my hands to get rid of those ants instantly;
- 6 or so years ago, I was flying my 130X at the usual spot in the shade of trees close to a parking lot, when one 50+ year-old tree decided it was a good time to fall and started cracking... RUN! I was fine, the nearby parked Hummer H2 was not. There was no wind at all and all trees looked fine... Not sure though if stabilized S.A.F.E. mode would have helped though - flip switch-> run? Don't know!
Last edited by Wrecking Ball; May 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
May 26, 2019, 11:04 AM
Heligamist
Thread OP
When he was mentioning it there wouldn't be any real flying stability modes only a rescue feature like the 270.
May 26, 2019, 11:18 AM
Quote:
That's great news, thanks for sharing! Honestly, I don't see any reason why would anyone prefer to not have this option. It is always good to have it in the event of distraction.

Is AR6335 Nanolite unit able to provide S.A.F.E. functions? I see no mention of it in its specs - https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMAR6335
Blade® Fusion™ 180 - BNF Basic Collective-Pitch Helicopter (2 min 12 sec)

look at the release video... they clearly show the plastic cased AR6335A fbl unit... the same one on the 130S, not the 180CFX Although it seems to just be the case that is really different, I have downloaded the firmware for both to either FBL. At any rate, the 6335A has already been programmed with SAFE, it's just going to be a matter of adjusting the programming to make it work with the Fusion 180... sounds simple enough to me, but then I have never seen the code...

can anyone who has a Fusion 180 look and see if the AR6335A actually made it into production? or if it's the cardboard cased AR6335 in there?
Last edited by Wayne Moyer; May 26, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
May 26, 2019, 11:26 AM
FL, Sanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
When he was mentioning it there wouldn't be any real flying stability modes only a rescue feature like the 270.
That would be great anyway, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Moyer
look at the release video... they clearly show the plastic cased AR6335A fbl unit... the same one on the 130S, not the 180CFX Although it seems to just be the case that is really different, I have downloaded the firmware for both to either FBL. At any rate, the 6335A has already been programmed with SAFE, it's just going to be a matter of adjusting the programming to make it work with the Fusion 180... sounds simple enough to me, but then I have never seen the code...
You are right, I thought it uses AR6335 unit because of the info in "Parts and Accessories" tab posted here - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-basic-blh5850 Sorry about that!
May 26, 2019, 11:32 AM
This is the one in mine...
May 26, 2019, 11:41 AM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Absolutely!

There were several unexpected events when I wish I had panic recovery feature, to name a few:
- I was flying at the new field which I didn't thoroughly inspect beforehand (I didn't notice ants) - ants almost ate me while I was trying to land, even though it took me only 5-10 seconds to bring the aircraft into the safe-to-land area. Had to visit doctor afterwards due to severity of symptoms and I don't have any allergies LOL Panic/safemode could have enabled me to use my hands to get rid of those ants instantly;
- 6 or so years ago, I was flying my 130X at the usual spot in the shade of trees close to a parking lot, when one 50+ year-old tree decided it was a good time to fall and started cracking... RUN! I was fine, the nearby parked Hummer H2 was not. There was no wind at all and all trees looked fine... Not sure though if stabilized S.A.F.E. mode would have helped though - flip switch-> run? Don't know!
I get it, a Panic button would be a convenience when those fluke events occurred. Accidents will happen, and wrenching is part of this hobby. But that's not really the type of situation I was alluding to in my original post. I was referring to some pilots that see the Fusion 180, get excited, and then expect a high-performance smack-machine to be, somehow, tailored to pilots that don't have the skills to fly that way.

A large percentage of Blades helis are actually tailored to pilots that are still leaning. Many of these helis can perform 3D-stunts very, very well. The 230S V2 comes to mind, as does the 130S, and also the Nano S2.

Actually, the Nano S2 is brilliant if you're still concerned about $$$ and downtime. The Nano S2 is fully capable of teaching 3D-stunt flying without any worries at all. And, it's potential for injury and damage is, like, nil.

The downside to the Nano S2, like the Nano CPS, is that it's so riddled with safety features that it leaves skilled pilots with little to work with. Turning off Safe, for example, causes weird glitches and tail oddities, and at best leaves the skilled pilot with only one flight mode to work with. I have seen countless posts where skilled pilot have been pleading with any manufacturer to produce at least one micro-sized helicopter that doesn't enforce Safe and Panic in order to fly well.

So, now Blade has answered the call and produced the Fusion 180--AFAIK it's the only Blade micro without Safe. Pilots that can fly the majority of the Fusion 180's flight envelope will be stoked. I don't think that Blade should be bashed for offering just one micro for advanced pilots that don't need or want Safe or Panic buttons.
May 26, 2019, 12:10 PM
FL, Sanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011
The downside to the Nano S2, like the Nano CPS, is that it's so riddled with safety features that it leaves skilled pilots with little to work with. Turning off Safe, for example, causes weird glitches and tail oddities, and at best leaves the skilled pilot with only one flight mode to work with. I have seen countless posts where skilled pilot have been pleading with any manufacturer to produce at least one micro-sized helicopter that doesn't enforce Safe and Panic in order to fly well
I was only saying that the panic switch in general is a great option to have; I didn't take into consideration the implementation issues of the early/current generations of S.A.F.E. system. Provided one could fly CPS and S2 without any glitchy side-effects of S.A.F.E. system, I don't see any reason why having S.A.F.E. available is a disadvantage. With those features you could possibly use the same model to teach a less-experienced or even a novice flier some basic maneuvers.

I have a 230S V2 which performs flawlessly in stunt mode with panic button; that's a good indication Blade devs know how to make Fusion 180 perform equally or even better given the capabilities of the AR6335A unit.
Last edited by Wrecking Ball; May 26, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
May 26, 2019, 12:13 PM
If they can implement it as it is in the Fusion 270, it would be perfect. It has absolutely no bearing on the helicopter's behavior at all during normal flight... if engaged (mine is on a momentary switch) it will right the helicopter and go to a level hover (or very close to it...) I know because I tested it once but truly the fact of the matter is, at this power to weight ratio, it's probably faster and safer to correct a dumb thumb moment manually, especially if you have other models of equal (or greater) agility that don't have the feature (I would hate to crash my stretched 450 pro fbl because I hit a switch and expected it to recover itself because of muscle memory) or my original 180CFX banged up for the same reason... I guess it's all in what you want. I have a few models with it, most without, and it has only actually been used to see if it works... it does, and it's good to know it's there, so long as it doesn't affect performance.
May 26, 2019, 12:51 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
... I didn't take into consideration the implementation issues of the early/current generations of S.A.F.E. system. Provided one could fly CPS and S2 without any glitchy side-effects of S.A.F.E. system, I don't see any reason why having S.A.F.E. available is a disadvantage. With those features you could possibly use the same model to teach a less-experienced or even a novice flier some basic maneuvers.
The glitches and the inability to turn off Safe, I think, are the biggest upsets. I agree that if Panic can be in the background and have no bearing on flight, then that's great! Bring it on!

Safe and stability modes, on the other hand, are for beginners. I see no benefit to having stability modes on an advanced heli, all they do is reduce the performance envelope of the heli. Just my opinion, sorry.

I think Blade was very, very smart to not turn this into a 180S. That would drive many potential customers to stick with the Oxy2 and the Trex 150X, both of which are excellent helis, by the way. Now, I can look forward to adding a Fusion 180 to my hangar.
May 27, 2019, 10:19 PM
VE7FM
Did my first shake down hover today. Pre-flight didn't find any loose screws but the motor was tilted at an angle. Fixed that and decided to remove the stickers on the landing skids as they just didn't look good to me. Also removed the bind plug adapter, it doesn't need to be there. Added a few small pieces of yellow shrink tubing to the skids which I think looks a little nicer.
Using 4S 450 mAh 75C Tattu batteries, they just fit.
May 29, 2019, 08:40 PM

Wagging Tail

4 flights on the fusion 180 and the tail wags more than my dogs when I come home from work. Any suggestions for PID Settings?
May 29, 2019, 09:14 PM
FL, Sanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator3434
4 flights on the fusion 180 and the tail wags more than my dogs when I come home from work. Any suggestions for PID Settings?
Was posted by another person: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=4#post7782987; however, https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=4#post7783813
May 29, 2019, 10:05 PM
Thanks. I can't seem to get into the parameter mode as in the video. Sticks down and to the right, press the bind button, but nothing happens......
May 29, 2019, 10:13 PM
make sure your not in low rates

Quick Reply