Jan 10, 2020, 02:11 PM
VE7FM
Have you tried altering the ESC settings? I was a little surprised to see the default LVC set to 3.4 volts per cell. The governor also doesn't seem to respond as quick as it possibly could. I do feel like my 150s has more power then the 180. I do prefer how the 180 flies though, I can't help but prefer the pitch driven tail.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2020, 02:20 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
Have you tried altering the ESC settings? I was a little surprised to see the default LVC set to 3.4 volts per cell. The governor also doesn't seem to respond as quick as it possibly could. I do feel like my 150s has more power then the 180. I do prefer how the 180 flies though, I can't help but prefer the pitch driven tail.
I was thinking nearly the same things, except I wonder if Zadaw should try a different ESC altogether. My motor runs cool no matter what I do.
Jan 12, 2020, 04:05 AM
I tried a Hobbywing 25A ESC but the power was even less. I wouldn't know how to alter the stock ESC settings. My main suspect is still the motor but I don't want to risk buying a 3rd one.
Jan 17, 2020, 01:40 PM
I have now fitted a more powerful 3s motor and this has made a massive increase in performance.

http://www.hawk-creation.com/index.p...roduct_id=4459

I have tried this motor with both the stock and Hobbywing ESC. The downside to using this motor is that it requires a 850maH battery just to give a 3 min 3D flight. I had to keep the throttle curve at 75%. Higher than that and the motor will overheat and lose power.
Jan 17, 2020, 03:13 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
I have now fitted a more powerful 3s motor and this has made a massive increase in performance.

http://www.hawk-creation.com/index.p...roduct_id=4459

I have tried this motor with both the stock and Hobbywing ESC. The downside to using this motor is that it requires a 850maH battery just to give a 3 min 3D flight. I had to keep the throttle curve at 75%. Higher than that and the motor will overheat and lose power.
I'm glad you're getting some power out of your 180! Looking forward to some pics & videos.

I wonder why the more powerful motor would be overheating?
Last edited by navigator2011; Jan 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011
I'm you're getting some power out of your 180! Looking forward to some pics & videos.

I wonder why the more powerful motor would be overheating?
Unfortunately I had a freak incident today when the motor pinion flew off with part of the motor shaft. The motor is completely unusable now. I will try a HP20S motor next but that will be well after the Chinese New Year holidays.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:19 AM
Folding Spacetime
I'm sorry about your motor, that blows! Have you tried a regular 180CFX motor and esc?

A big thing for me is keeping the heli below 250 grams. Right now, I'm sitting at 244g. I thought that using an Oxy2 motor might be fun, but I don't want to use a bigger battery since that'll increase the weight quite a lot. My lightest Oxy2 is sitting at 350g, and the larger battery accounts for about 85g of that AUW weight.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:41 PM
I have tried the regular 180CFX motor and have not seen much difference. I haven't tried the ESC yet. Lynx used to sell the 1611 motor for the 180CFX with a motor mount attached. I am not sure whether the 1611 will fit the stock motor mount.
Jan 19, 2020, 11:16 AM
Folding Spacetime
Just curious, have you thought about going with a 180cfx motor and a Talon 15, and then use cf mains from the 180cfx?

Seems that doing this would result in a belted 180CFX with a slightly stretched tail. But the motor and esc should get along just fine. Just a thought.
Jan 19, 2020, 06:56 PM
Folding Spacetime
I put 6 packs through my 180 this morning, and with the swash absolutely leveled the 180 drifts rearward in all orientations. This helicopter is obviously tail-heavy, and it sure seems clear to me that HH thought they could bias the swash forward to counteract the rearward COG. Sort of like a trim, but without setting any actual trims.

I tried various battery positions under the canopy, and while I could affect the drift, and sort of reduce it, I couldn't eliminate it. With the battery in a forward-most position (no more room on the deck), the drift isn't all that bad, but it tends to bug the crap out of me. It reminds me of driving a car that needs a wheel alignment.

I think this 180 wants a heavier battery, but HH wanted to keep the AUW below 250 grams (an increasingly significant selling point these days). So, at this point I'm not sure what I'll try next.

What puzzles me a bit is my Oxy2 is tail heavy too, but the MSH micro-Brain never let's it drift in any orientation. So, I wonder if a micro-Brain on the 180 would solve all of these problems?
Jan 19, 2020, 07:45 PM
I can't try that out because I do not have a Talon 15 or 180 CFX motor anymore. Right now I am using the 4S Fusion 180 motor and batteries in my 150 S without any problems. Although that does not lead to any power increase.

I have never used the stock controller but used a MicroBrain gen 1 controller right from the start. I did notice a backwards drift but I don't let it bother me anymore. I used a Micro Brain controller because I had one lying around. One advantage of using the Micro Brain controller is that you can use cheaper and better servos. This is because the stock servos move in the opposite direction of most 3rd party servos. The only exceptions are the D5180MG servos from hawk-rc and the Lynx servos
Jan 19, 2020, 10:33 PM
Folding Spacetime
Hi Zadaw, thank for sharing you experiences with me. Whatever I do, I'll be sure to post. Just haven't decided.

Maybe I'll just do like you and get used to the drift. Lol.
Jan 31, 2020, 03:51 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Orientation practice from a couple of weeks ago: JR 11X transmitter with Blade Fusion 180...

Orientation Practice: JR 11X, Blade Fusion 180 (3 min 54 sec)
Jan 31, 2020, 04:46 PM
VE7FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
Orientation practice from a couple of weeks ago: JR 11X transmitter with Blade Fusion 180...
Looked like a great time to me!
Jan 31, 2020, 04:58 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
Great flying!!!

Quick Reply