Sep 20, 2019, 09:23 PM

Landing Gear Again

I made some covers for the landing gear springs out of bicycle inner tube. A square piece of rubber about three inches on a side was coated with Uhu Pur contact cement. Three edges on one side; a strip pretty much down the middle on the other side. There should be enough rubber to overlap about half the circumference and reach the adhesive that was put down the middle of the other side. Roll the inner tube rubber around the spring and seal the seam to the strip of glue that you put down the middle. Then pinch the ends to seal them off beyond each end of the spring. I cannot say that these covers look exactly like the bungee covers on a real Cub, but from three feet away they look pretty good. And the fabrication cost was about zero, as the tube had suffered a blow out and was headed for the trash until this use came along. On a really hard landing, the springs may extent far enough to rip the covers open- it will be interesting to see. If that happens, I'll make the next ones a little longer.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2019, 07:56 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
Can't remember whether I posted here or in the iX12 thread about my frustrations with limited rudder travel, but in any case, if you share that peeve, here's some info.

The travel is limited in the Rx, not the Tx. After a frustrating experience with my old programming cable (purchased years ago and never used), I bought the new bluetooth dongle from Spektrum. It works pretty well, after some learning curve. In any case, I used it to set up one flight mode with no changes, a second one with maximum rudder throw, and a third with max throw but with the AS3X gains at zero for all axes. I did that last partly in case the increased rudder throw made something go really weird with the AS3X, and partly just so I could turn it "off" to see what difference it makes.

Finally flew it today. Works great. As you might expect, the AS3X effects are not as pronounced on this big plane as you'd see on a smaller one, but, more to the point, the increased rudder throw has no ill effects but DOES allow you to catch an errant tail on the ground much more effectively, and to turn around on a runway less than fifty yards wide.
Oct 04, 2019, 08:10 PM
I am not a robot
Sounds good. I have the old cable for AS3X adjustment. So you're telling me it's pretty worthless?
Oct 04, 2019, 08:48 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Sounds good. I have the old cable for AS3X adjustment. So you're telling me it's pretty worthless?
I've heard mixed things about it. Mine seemed to work one night when I was first trying to figure out how to work it, and then not the next when I tried to adjust the Rx in the Cub.
Oct 08, 2019, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know if the new battery tray will fit the old fuselage? The Morgan Mill tray in Franken-Z-Cub was damaged pretty badly in the crash that created it, fell from 80ft when the esc failed, and I find it to be a pain in the ass to use the old system. I'd like to replace it with the new system if it will fit. Is Morgan Mill still making the cartridge set for the old Z Cub?
Oct 08, 2019, 06:34 AM
I am not a robot
I don't have the new SS CZC yet but I doubt that the new system will bolt into the new old CZC. However I can tell you that yes Morgan RC (Morganmill) still makes and sells their very popular battery tray system.

http://morganmill.com/RC/Carbon_Z_Cub_Parts.html
Oct 11, 2019, 07:46 PM
Fly'em till they squeal!

Vortex gen. Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
If you wish to maintain sanity while doing this (using the transparent strips of double sided tape), do not peel one side, put the tape in the wing channel, and then try to pick the second side shielding off. Much better, peel off one shielding, stick the tape onto the VG, then peel the second side shielding off and stick the VG into the wing channel. Big difference in ease of use.
I finally just used Foam Tac to install them. Was able to get a couple of strips pealed by using a very sharp and pointed craft knife to split the layers in the corners.
Oct 11, 2019, 08:06 PM
Fly'em till they squeal!

Motor and ES C wires too long

Am building the new Cub. The motor leads and ESC wires were way too long and blocked air flow in the cowl. Took the time to cut them both in half and re-soldered all the connections and still had to creatively fold them up and hot melt them to the fire wall/fuselage.
Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Well I just ordered my CC along with the Morgan RC battery tray system so I can use my 5000 and 6500 battery packs I use in my E-Flite T-28 which work oh-so-well. I also ordered the quick bolts kit, and will add an APC 15x7 prop.

I should have everything by Saturday, just in time to setup and fly on Sunday morning. I will let you all know how she goes.
Yesterday, 09:54 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter
Am building the new Cub. The motor leads and ESC wires were way too long and blocked air flow in the cowl. Took the time to cut them both in half and re-soldered all the connections and still had to creatively fold them up and hot melt them to the fire wall/fuselage.
The small cowl area of Piper Cubs leads to problems with ESC/Motor wire routing. Just isn't a lot of room in there, especially senese we have to avoid the spinning motor. That's one reason why many of us have switched to the Castle Creations Talon 90 ESC. There are no wires coming out of the motor end of the Talon 90 ESC. which means that you have about half as much wire to tuck out of the way. Makes things much more simple and then there is the plus with the Talon that it has a great BEC capable of handling all the Rx and servo power required by the CZC planes.

Quick Reply