Jul 23, 2019, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
There are soooooo many on all plane threads that blame always as3x for there lack of programming and flying skills.
Read post #251
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 08:37 PM
EthanRC
Quote:
There are soooooo many on all plane threads that blame always as3x for there lack of programming and flying skills.
It's like when people aren't good at video games so they blame lag. Though as3x helps you sometimes it might fight you.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanRC
It's like when people aren't good at video games so they blame lag. Though as3x helps you sometimes it might fight you.
How does it fight you?
Jul 23, 2019, 09:26 PM
EthanRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich
How does it fight you?
You way not be able to do the aerobatics that you want to do very well. For example the other day we were flying the CZ Cub and we tried doing a flat head spin and then it would just not want to do it. and when it did it, it was very slow.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:54 PM
AS3X Does not fight anything....I can do any 3D move that i know how to do with a as3x plane that is capable to do that move to begin with.
Jul 23, 2019, 10:04 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
AS3X Does not fight anything....I can do any 3D move that i know how to do with a as3x plane that is capable to do that move to begin with.
+1k!

Same here. I have the original pre-AS3X versions of the UMX Beast and UMX Sbach, along with the AS3X-equipped UMX Beast 3D & UMX Sbach 3D versions.

Absolutely ZERO difference in aerobatic/3D performance between the non-AS3X & AS3X versions - even though they have identical airframes. The only difference is that the AS3X versions fly "bigger" in micro-turbulence, because AS3X dampens sudden movements of the airframe that are not commanded by the pilot. That's ALL AS3X does. It has zero autolevel, heading-correct, or any other sort of autopilot features.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jul 23, 2019, 11:20 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
To EthanRC's point, he and I were flying the new Carbon Z Cub v2 with the standard AR636A. The plane WILL NOT enter or stay in a standard issue spin with normal spin-control inputs. ie full rudder and full up elevator. My guess is that the ailerons are reacting somehow. I just know that it will not maintain a traditional spin.

PS: Take Ethan's comments with a grain of salt. His enthusiasm exceeds his knowledge sometimes.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jul 24, 2019, 01:00 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
To EthanRC's point, he and I were flying the new Carbon Z Cub v2 with the standard AR636A. The plane WILL NOT enter or stay in a standard issue spin with normal spin-control inputs. ie full rudder and full up elevator. My guess is that the ailerons are reacting somehow. I just know that it will not maintain a traditional spin....
Move the CG back to the neutral-handling point as determined by the 45-degree downline CG test, mechanically max the elevator & rudder throws, and try it again.

Joel
Jul 24, 2019, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
To EthanRC's point, he and I were flying the new Carbon Z Cub v2 with the standard AR636A. The plane WILL NOT enter or stay in a standard issue spin with normal spin-control inputs. ie full rudder and full up elevator. My guess is that the ailerons are reacting somehow. I just know that it will not maintain a traditional spin.

PS: Take Ethan's comments with a grain of salt. His enthusiasm exceeds his knowledge sometimes.
I just spent a few hours reprogramming the AR636 (you can do this with a AR636A as well).

One of the things I did was create a flight mode 2 , enabled safe select with level flight and increased the yaw heading rate and standard rate gain to 77%
There is no heading hold, just rate.

Thats going to be my takeoff mode.

You can also reprogram flight mode 3 for no safe, and no as3x gains on any axis, which would give you the effect of creating that spin with zero assist or fight from ailerons.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:13 AM
My wife is getting ready to maiden her Carbon Z Cub SS tomorrow. PNP so no AS3X. She doesn't like it in any of her planes. Just a preference.

We also found that the clear adhesive strips do not hold the vortex gererators well at all. It seems a bit too thin and doesn't have much grab. She did clean the pockets before applying. Applied a little Foam-Tac to each of them. They aren't coming off now.
Jul 24, 2019, 06:01 PM

Dubro 6 inch Inflatable Tires on Carbon Cub SS

Well, today as part of my practice drills by my house, of trying to keep this plane from rolling yaw left on takeoff I tried the dubro tires.
They are great at keeping the plane from skidding, and I can tell the center of gravity has changed from where it was to much lower. Not so much forward though.
They feel great on the pavement. Roll really nice. I had to drill the hole larger but I got it just right. I needed to add some plastic washers (5mm) to each side to not have the set screw on the collar touch the hub screws.

The best part, the plane, on turning on the pavement grips the pavement and no longer skids around.

One really bad thing though. The weight.
Net gain replacing stock was one pound.

That caused the plane to no longer have short takeoffs. I used flaps, no flaps, full flaps, partial flaps, I couldnt get it into the air in the same distance as with stock. Makes sense, its a freakin pound of weight.

Another note, still no love on the hard yaw left and I made sure the plane is mechanically sound.
I did about 20 takeoff "runs" without the take off part and could not once keep the plane on a solid course straight, nor keep if off the grass to the left.

I dont think I'm keeping the tires on the plane. Its way too much weight and the technique used for short takeoffs (especially if the plane yaws) cant happen, $50 on tires wasted.

Well at least I learned a few things reprogramming the rx for more heading rate. But even that didnt help here since its only momentary. Tomorrow I get my JR gyro with heading hold. Thats probably the way to go for me now.

Too bad KAVAN is out of business.
Last edited by skirich; Jul 24, 2019 at 06:37 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 06:16 PM
I'd rather be flying!
The way to go is to simply practice manually compensating for the perfectly normal yaw to the left when the tail comes up on a taildragger, until it becomes automatic (as it is for all accomplished taildragger pilots, RC & full-scale). Attempting to use a HH gyro will drastically interfere with the normal process of learning to fly a prop-driven taildragger & will prevent you from learning essential beginner-level fixed-wing piloting skills.

Joel
Jul 24, 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
The way to go is to simply practice manually compensating for the perfectly normal yaw to the left when the tail comes up on a taildragger, until it becomes automatic (as it is for all accomplished taildragger pilots, RC & full-scale). Attempting to use a HH gyro will drastically interfere with the normal process of learning to fly a prop-driven taildragger & will prevent you from learning essential beginner-level fixed-wing piloting skills.

Joel
Totally get it. Problem is, I need extra help now while I practice, otherwise its not fun. The Gyro HH is a temporary solution.
Jul 24, 2019, 06:52 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker

Joel
Yup...

Now...granted...this is quite an old video, but I think it makes Joel's point...:
Scale Carbon Z Cub take off (0 min 56 sec)

Last edited by Justwingit; Jul 24, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 07:22 PM
I am not a robot
OH P P P P P P Factor.....maybe?

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-...he-centerline/

Quick Reply