Exclusive! Hangar 9 Timber 110 30-50cc

The Hangar 9® Timber® 110 30-50cc is a 110-inch wingspan all balsa and plywood almost-ready-to-fly airplane based on the popular E-flite® Timber series.

Splash

Timber 110

From Jim T:

Last year at Nall in the Fall Horizon Hobby showed up with prototypes for the Timber 110. This is not something Horizon usually does and we were stoked to create a feature story on it. That feature led to comments and suggestions from you. Well, the folks at Horizon didn't forget it and contacted me to get an exclusive up on the new Timber 110 on FlyingGiants!! Pretty damn awesome!

Here is the never seen before info from Horizon a full day before the official release...

The Hangar 9® Timber® 110 30-50cc is a 110-inch wingspan all balsa and plywood almost-ready-to-fly airplane based on the popular E-flite® Timber series. Its innovative design combines the spirited performance of a sport plane with the versatility of a bush plane so you can have it all. It offers a flight experience unlike any other, from STOL flying to 3D aerobatics. The Timber is equipped with a combination of features and details that will satisfy intermediate to advanced pilots alike. Its lightweight design, combined with high-grade balsa and plywood construction, provides everything you could want in a giant-scale STOL model. The two-piece plug-in wings feature optional-use leading edge devices and operational flaps that make for impressive short field operation, even from less-than-ideal runways. The assembly is simple so that your time at the bench can be as brief and enjoyable as possible. The majority of the components bolt together, and the complete hardware package includes everything needed to finish the model. Out of the box; all control surfaces are pre-hinged (except rudder), while multiple hatches allow for convenient access to electronics and flight batteries. The all-wood airframe is finished in genuine Hangar 9 UltraCote® covering which is well known for its durable finish, brilliant looks, and ease of maintenance.

Features

• High-quality balsa and plywood construction provides a strong and lightweight airframe
  • Vibrant and eye-catching UltraCote covering for a high-quality finish and good looks
  • Functional flaps expand the flight envelope and make for STOL takeoffs and landings
  • Multiple hatches allow plenty of opening space for assembly and battery changes
  • Large 7" tundra-style tires included
  • Optional-use leading edge devices allows for even shorter takeoffs and landings (included)
  • Pre-hinged control surfaces (except rudder) help you save on build time
  • Two-piece plug-in wings with carbon fiber wing tube allows for easy transportation and storage
  • Removable horizontal stabilizer for easy field assembly
  • Accepts Hangar 9 CubCrafters XCub 60cc articulated landing gear (sold separately)
  • Tool-free field assembly
  • Painted fiberglass cowl requires no finishing by the customer
  • Painted aluminum landing gear matches the covering perfectly
  • Designed to accept gas/petrol engines and electric motors
  • Float ready, with hard points for optional float set
  • Complete hardware kit with engine and motor mounting hardware

Hangar 9 Timber 110 30cc-50cc ARF (3 min 22 sec)

Specifications:

• Construction: All-wood laser cut balsa and plywood
  • Completion Level: Almost-Ready-To-Fly
  • Airfoil: Symmetrical
  • Wingspan: 110 in (2.8 m)
  • Wing Area: 1466 sq in (94.6 sq dm)
  • Wing Loading: 29.4 oz/ft
  • Overall Length: 68.0 in (1.72 m)
  • Flying Weight: 18-20 lb (8.16-9.07 kg)
  • Radio: 6+ channel, full-range transmitter, and receiver
  • Engine: 30-50cc 2- to 4-stroke gas/petrol (sold separately)
  • Electric Power: 30cc to 50cc equivalent
  • Servos: (8) Standard size servos (7 for electric) (sold separately)
  • Flaps: Yes
  • Landing Gear: Painted Aluminum
  • Prop Size: 18” to 22”
  • Experience Level: Intermediate to advanced
  • Assembly Time: Approx. 10-12 Hours

Photos

More Info to Come

There is nothing official on the web out on this bird yet but check back later for links.

Last edited by Jim T.; Sep 19, 2023 at 12:35 PM..
May 08, 2019, 10:55 AM
I love the drone view of the flight!
Ali is always funs to watch fly the pants off an airplane!
May 08, 2019, 11:08 AM
Master Procrastinator
Price point?
May 08, 2019, 11:26 AM
Just ordered the articulated landing gear from Horizon. My understanding is the release is imminent. I think this is going to be a hot one, so might want to order as soon as released.
May 08, 2019, 11:45 AM
Shut up and take my money, if I had it!

I bet it will be up there!
May 08, 2019, 01:52 PM
Looks great
I want that crow mix for my US 30
I’ve got an ignition kill, so I suspect I need 9 channels for full snap ailerons and crow
True?
Last edited by crash_tested; May 08, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
May 08, 2019, 02:01 PM
Boost rules!
Wonderful news! Guess I better start saving-up for a nice 4-stroke gasser!

Joel
May 08, 2019, 02:08 PM
Closed Account

Nice Plane

It's a beauty, no doubt! Do I need one? No. Do I have room for one? No. Do I want one? Yes! Am I going to get one? Not likely. Sigh...
May 08, 2019, 02:46 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Hmmm. I have the original foamy version that I use to play around with and loosen my fingers with after long breaks. I wonder if I can convince my wife it's the same plane if I replace it.....
May 08, 2019, 03:23 PM
Same Day Delivery
The landing "Plop Down" in the vid, IMHO is Not a desirable trait!
May 08, 2019, 03:45 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
It looked really good at SEFF last week. It was the electric version.
May 08, 2019, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
The landing "Plop Down" in the vid, IMHO is Not a desirable trait!
Agreed... when it quits flying it really quits, though it doesn't seem to drop a wing.
May 08, 2019, 04:57 PM
Boost rules!
Yeah, but a full-stall landing is required for a minimum-length rollout. The idea is to fully-stall the wing just before the wheels kiss the ground. At least, that's how my dad taught me how to land his full-scale Robertson STOL-equipped Cessna 180 & 185. Throttle for altitude, elevator for descent-rate, power-on all the way down, one hand always on the throttle, with the yoke in my lap at touchdown & the stall-warning buzzer going nuts!

I'm betting that during his first landing (when he intentionally stalled it a few feet AGL) he was just demonstrating the articulated landing-gear's ability to absorb a large shock, along with the plane's tendency to stall straight ahead. His second landing was a fairly traditional full-stall/minimum-length bush-style landing. His third landing was a textbook greaser.

Given the XL's crazy-low WCL of only 8.9-9.9 @ the advertised AUW range, I have no doubt that she will easily do textbook-perfect 3-point greasers all day long, just like her smaller counterparts can do.

Joel
May 08, 2019, 05:35 PM
what the price?
May 08, 2019, 05:55 PM
Same Day Delivery
Maybe, but a greased landing looks a lot better than the tail drop smackdown shown in the vid. Articulated landing gear or not, I see it as a pilot skilled enough to do all that hoovering around with slow roles should have had better than one out of three good landings!
Last edited by mike3976; May 08, 2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply