May 14, 2019, 07:37 PM
You're right Paul. My name is Ray Gremillion. I'd be proud to have you guys here call me Ray.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 08:48 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by grem62483
I will definitely use the mount you just mentioned on the next BB that I build for sure.
If you are still struggling/not-satisfied with the offset motor mount , you could probably order a direct no-offset mount from Fancy Foam and have it in a few days ..... Fancy Foam is in Kansas . They also have those Blue Wonder motors if you want to use them for additional Blu-babies you may build . http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...otor_p_35.html
Here is the matching ESC : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ESC_p_252.html
May 15, 2019, 12:35 AM
Bgrem is actually my twin son Bradley. I have been using his account here because I was waiting to be approved as Bigolddude. From here on out, he will be using his own username (Bgrem) and I will be using mine (Bigolddude).

Bradley is the talent in this effort. All I ever did was build the airframes and Bradley would install the electronics and then fly the ever-living heck out of these planes. We're now focusing our attention towards aircraft the kids will be able to progress through. The Blu Baby just finished was Bradley's work from start to finish.
Last edited by bigolddude; May 15, 2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Had more to say.
May 15, 2019, 05:11 AM
Ray and Brad,

great project IMHO because we are seeing you guys doing the installing and building and hopefully you will keep us up to date with commentaries of how the kids get on. Always something to learn, not only for you, but also from your experiences both building and flying for the guys here who try to help and for anyone having a go in the future. Every experience, good or bad, can be used to someone else's benefit so keep it coming.

If it does go well with the kids and you end up building a couple of air frames per week to keep them airborne remember that the foam can easily be decorated with marker pens (sharpies on that side I think). Get the kids to 'paint' the models, gives them an input without risking amputated fingers or wings glued to the dining table (or one of them's hair). Take a marker to the field and let them sign or list flights (maiden maybe, first landing??), gives you something to decorate the cellar/ garage/ workshop walls with.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
May 15, 2019, 05:24 AM
Offset motors, Paul's way....

Maybe not perfect but how I do it.

If using the type of engine mount shown here which will be screwed to a firewall (bulkhead, former, call it what you will) I use longer self tappers (typically 20 - 25 mm long) and fit a length of thin tubing which is between 5 and 20 mm long between the engine mount and the firewall. This allows you to use the screws to adjust the side and down thrust by screwing them in and it works as long as all of the tubes are compressed slightly making them push the mount forwards to prevent the motor from flapping around. works best if all of the tubes are close in length but not critical. So, this rubber (silicone is best) tubing?? Standard Glow Fuel tubing is great for larger motors and costs next to nothing but even better is the sheathing from silicon Motor or ESC wires (or any other wire of a convenient size). Just cut around the silicone outer sheath and slide it off, Hey Pressto, nice little silicone tube.

Actually, washers between the 2 components work just as well but with my method you can adjust at the field in seconds, pay's yer' money yer' makes 'yer choice......

Just putting alternatives out there, every day is a school day,

Paul
May 16, 2019, 02:36 AM
We had a little mishap while hotglue was not set. grem62483 (my son) is gonna have this girl up and flying like a champ, and soon.
Last edited by bigolddude; May 16, 2019 at 04:32 AM. Reason: was wrong again
May 16, 2019, 02:55 AM
Not a mistake, a chance to learn.....

Go and get some denatured (????? don't know how to spell it in 'American') alcohol (Brennspiritus in German, can't remember English English but have a quick Google for removing hot glue) and a small paint brush.

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST.

Dribble some alcohol onto the joint with your brush and wait 2 - 3 minutes, repeat, and then get a blade to GENTLY try to lift an edge of the glue to see if it peels back without damaging the foam, if so, keep going, if not repeat.

Magic, the alcohol will wick under the glue releasing the bond without damage, couldn't believe it when I first tired it. Ten minutes and you will be good to go again (and again, and again )

Paul

(every day is a school day)
May 16, 2019, 03:08 AM
You could use the screw/ tube method up to as big as you like but I would go to bolts with lock nuts for over 200 watts (you are probably running around 100 -150 watts with your set-up).

The engine mount is just being 'retained' by the screw (bolt) heads just as it does it they are up tight, the tube (rubber) just stops the motor from moving around until it is up to speed.

Many, many roads to Rome.

Paul

PS, NOT my idea, I am not very bright, or, I am very bright in so much as I just read a lot and post other peoples ideas, should have said that but I have no idea where I got the idea....
May 16, 2019, 04:36 AM
Paul your method is remarkable. I sat here and tried to come up with a negative and couldn't. Can even make adjustments out on the field.

Now you could fit all my design knowledge in a thimble and still have room for you finger. Bradley is the "engineer" in this effort.
Last edited by bigolddude; May 16, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
May 16, 2019, 06:49 AM
He who stalls....falls!
[QUOTE=PaulB;41870423]Not a mistake, a chance to learn.....

Go and get some denatured (????? don't know how to spell it in 'American') alcohol (Brennspiritus in German, can't remember English English but have a quick Google for removing hot glue) and a small paint brush.

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST.

Dribble some alcohol onto the joint with your brush and wait 2 - 3 minutes, repeat, and then get a blade to GENTLY try to lift an edge of the glue to see if it peels back without damaging the foam, if so, keep going, if not repeat.

Magic, the alcohol will wick under the glue releasing the bond without damage, couldn't believe it when I first tired it. Ten minutes and you will be good to go again (and again, and again )

Paul

Denatured alcohol= Methylated Spirits ("Metho") in Australia.
Lots of different names around the globe it seems.
cheers
May 16, 2019, 07:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolddude
grem62483 (my son) is gonna have this girl up and flying like a champ, and soon.
If possible , have someone shoot a video of the maiden flight !
May 16, 2019, 08:23 PM
All 3 grandsons waiting to fly are Bradley'sboys. I can assure you that proud Paw Paw and Dad will be recording their first go at the sticks.
May 17, 2019, 01:44 AM
Thanks H1948D, how could I forget meths???

Ray, remember, don't introduce stress on the maiden.

Paul

Quick Reply