May 07, 2019, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

It's the BLU BABY FOLKS!!!

After a basket full of skull cramps, the three grandsons finally agreed to start with a Blu Baby as opposed to something that flies just under Mach II.

We have a choice of 3 motors for the Blu girl;

(a tiny little) 2712-12 POWER UP BRUSHLESS Anyone know the kv of this little motor? prop?
EMAX CF2812 (kv?) prop?
TURNIIGY D2826-6 2200 prop?

Which would be best for this trainer. I have 14 grandchildren. I'm sure all 14 won't take up RC plane flying for a dedicated hobby, but I'd bet good money that every boy AND girl is gonna want a go on the sticks.

Which motor guys?
Last edited by Bgrem; May 07, 2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: inherant stupidity
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2019, 09:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrem
After a basket full of skull cramps, the three grandsons finally agreed to start with a Blu Baby as opposed to something that flies just under Mach II.

We have a choice of 3 motors for the Blu girl;

(a tiny little) 2712-12 POWER UP BRUSHLESS Anyone know the kv of this little motor? prop?
EMAX CF2812 (kv?) prop?
TURNIIGY D2826-6 2200 prop?

Which would be best for this trainer. I have 14 grandchildren. I'm sure all 14 won't take up RC plane flying for a dedicated hobby, but I'd bet good money that every boy AND girl is gonna want a go on the sticks.

Which motor guys?

To make the Blu-baby slow flying , use the lightest components you have ..... that will provide enough thrust to fly the plane .
May 07, 2019, 09:41 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Any of those can work but the high kV one should be avoided for that bird. Are you building the 33Ē version? I would do that. You want a motor around 2212 size in low kV around 1000-1400. The online vendors such as Headsuphobby and Valuehobby post prop test data for you to select a prop size and type. But donít get too hung up on that. An 8Ē slowfly prop should work. Do you have a radio and receiver and of course an ESC?
May 07, 2019, 10:09 PM
treefinder
Bgrem, the most important piece you need to tell us is the span (size) BB you built. If it is a 33" span, the best motor (imho) is a 24gram 1700kv blue wonder type with a 7x6 APC style prop. Super wide flight envelope, it will putter around at quarter throttle, and speed up to a decent top speed (30+mph). I'm not familiar with your 2712 motor, but it may be in the ball park. If you did a 42" span, then the emax cf2812 might be a good choice. It is 40 gm and 1500-1600Kv. 7x6 or 8x4 prop. A bit lower Kv motor in that weight range would be optimum with an 8" or 9" prop, though. The Emax cf2822 is 1200Kv (same motor as 2812, just lower Kv). The brand is less important than getting the weight and Kv right. If you use a prop saver, which with a bunch of noob kids is probably best, make sure it is tight against the can. No exposed shaft between saver and can. That helps prevent bent shafts on crashes. You will have to cut about 1/8" off the shaft so only about 1/8" is sticking out from saver so the prop will pivot correctly.
May 07, 2019, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
It's being cut right now. It's the 33 inch. Thanks for the replys fellas.
May 07, 2019, 10:57 PM
treefinder
According to headsuprc, the 2712 is a 1700kv blue wonder. I would use that one on your 33" BB. My grandson learned to fly on that package.

https://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-30..._ep_143-1.html
May 07, 2019, 11:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
According to headsuprc, the 2712 is a 1700kv blue wonder. I would use that one on your 33" BB. My grandson learned to fly on that package.

If that 2712 is a Blue Wonder style motor , that's what I use on almost all my park-flyer sized planes . I suspect the second "12" in the 2712-12 designation indicates it is 1200kv . It would be a very good choice for a 33" Blu-baby , in combination with a lightweight ESC and lightweight servos .

I have a 1300kv Blue Wonder style motor on the plane ( similar to a BB ) in this video , with a 10A ESC , two 3.7 gram servos , and a 500mAh 2S battery .

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
May 08, 2019, 05:11 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Well, you got your advice, now itís up to you!

Various motors can work, but no matter what you use, youíll have to make sure the CG is right for flight.

Keep us posted and good luck. Looking forward to the Maiden video!
May 08, 2019, 09:22 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:

Great link for "real life" numbers on this motor.
And great timing for posting it, had 2 of these arrived today.
cheers
May 08, 2019, 11:17 AM
treefinder
Glad to help. I think the heads up guys are a bit conservative on the motor's capability to handle current. (Not surprising). My experience along with a couple dozen friends is that it lasts "forever" with a 7x6 apc style prop on 2s. We flew streamer combat for several years using that package on 30-32" span F&Fs and SEMFF warbirds using that motor, prop, 10 amp esc and ESC mah 2s packs. The drill was 5-8 minutes at WOT, land, replace lipo, repeat. Never had an issue with the motors (well, other than smashing them into ground!)

I noted headsup also rated the 8x4 GWS dd props. I made a readiboard mr. Mulligan (OSM-rb) using 1700Kv BW, 2s lipo. Originally used the 7x6 prop, bit felt performance was hurt by the large radial engine cowl blocking thrust. Swapped in an 8040dd GWS and the extra half inch radius really made the plane scoot. No increase in correct draw worth mentioning.

Also several of my friends are using the 7x3.5 props on 3s and as long as the motor is in the airflow, no problems.
May 08, 2019, 01:55 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
My experience along with a couple dozen friends is that it lasts "forever" with a 7x6 apc style prop on 2s.
I put a Blue Wonder motor ( hexTronik from HobbyKing ) on my first RC plane that I bought 9 years ago , I still have it and still fly it with that 9 year-old motor . The plane is an Electrifly Flylite , VERY similar to a BB .
May 08, 2019, 06:49 PM
treefinder
BoC, yup! The only real issue with them is breaking one of the motor wires. Reusing them on a large number of planes opens up that possibility. As it turns out they are probably the easiest to rewind of all the smaller motors. I rewound two. Couldn't get the last turn on, so they ended up about 1900kv. Just a little extra oomph, fun to fly! Keeping it on the original plane it will probably outlast you and me!
May 08, 2019, 08:25 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
BoC, yup! The only real issue with them is breaking one of the motor wires. Reusing them on a large number of planes opens up that possibility. As it turns out they are probably the easiest to rewind of all the smaller motors. I rewound two. Couldn't get the last turn on, so they ended up about 1900kv. Just a little extra oomph, fun to fly! Keeping it on the original plane it will probably outlast you and me!
To avoid breaking wires , the first thing I do when I get a new motor ( especially small ones ) is permanently attach it to a motor mount and secure the wires to the motor mount . Then it spends the rest of it's life being transferred from one plane to another with that motor mount . This is how I do it with a Blue Wonder style motor ↓
May 09, 2019, 08:48 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I put a Blue Wonder motor ( hexTronik from HobbyKing ) on my first RC plane that I bought 9 years ago , I still have it and still fly it with that 9 year-old motor . The plane is an Electrifly Flylite , VERY similar to a BB .
One of my new motors going on a KF winged model for my first go at indoor flying next week.
(45+ yrs of flying, from small models to large, and back again. The wheel turns!)
The other going on a BB type model,( for training purposes only).
Think I better order some more of these motors, have a few more ideas..........and a stack of foam!
(also like the method of shifting motor and mount between models)

cheers
May 09, 2019, 10:08 AM
treefinder
BoC idea works great for stick mounts, but I have been using firewall type mounts for years as they make sorting thrust angles much easier on the new scratch designs I tend to sucker myself into. I have done a partial fix like his, though. I will squirt a blob of RTV silicone or even hot glue on the wires as they exit the motor as that is the place where flexing drives the breakage, and is the toughest to resolder as wire breaks right at motor. The caulk/glue forces flexing away from the motor.
Last edited by springer; May 10, 2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply