This thread is privately moderated by steve mahoney, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 07, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Tiny Tumeke

This subject certainly is unique in NZ – it’s the Tumeke – the only pusher tug in the country. For a kick-off, it’s tiny, only 9m long (27ft). That’s smaller than a small truck. It could go on the New York ATB as deck cargo.

And it’s not pretty – some might even say ugly. It certainly is ‘challenged’ in the looks department.

It was built in 1995 by Northeastern for Benson Brothers (to a Chris Benson design) and is now based out of the major port of Tauranga. It spends most of its time pushing a harbour works barge and dredge around the small provincial ports on the Coromandel Peninsular, making and repairing marinas.

Tumeke means ‘startled’ and I’m sure you would be, in a high sea. It doesn’t look as if it would be very stable without a barge attached.

Construction was pretty straightforward, I started by drawing up some plans based on several photos I found online, and then the process followed my usual methods. As the model is so small the build didn't take too long or present many problems.

A complete build log is at: http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=6435.0
Last edited by steve mahoney; May 07, 2019 at 03:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply