Horizon Hobby - E-flite Timber X Review

If you want a plane that goes from mild to wild, is easy to build and has solid construction then join me as I take a look at the Timber X!

Splash

Timber X - From Sport to STOL, to 3D!

Introduction

Timber X 1.2m BNF Basic (EFL3850)
Wingspan:47.5 in (1200 mm)
Length:41.5 in (1055 mm)
Wing Area:527.3 sq in (34.0 sq dm)
Weight:57-60 oz (1613-1698g)
Servos:6 High-Torque, Metal-Geared Servos
Radio:6+ Channel DSMX/DSM2 transmitter
Battery:2200–3200mAh 3–4S LiPo flight battery
Motor:Brushless Outrunner Motor
Prop:13 x 4
Transmitter:Spektrum DX9
Receiver:Spektrum™ 6-channel receiver with industry-leading DSMX® technology
Stabilizer:AS3X
Available From:Horizon Hobby
Street Price:$249.99

The original Timber has a legion of followers. This iteration of the Timber is a Gary Wright inspired version with clipped wings and many other features that allows it to go from mild to wild!

There is a lot to like about the new Timber X, especially if you like to "wind up" your plane! It has over-sized ailerons and flaps that I have coupled together in this review for an amazingly authoritative aileron.

The Timber X has good manners and a sport flying style and when coupled with SAFE is very docile and relaxing. The amazing part is when you put in a 4 cell lipo things really get exciting!!

In this review, I will:

• Look at what is in the box
  • Provide construction photos
  • Provide links for SPM files for your TX
  • Show our flight video
  • Provide flight photos
  • Post my flying thoughts

Key Features

• STOL is the name of the game with the Timber X. Activate the flaps and go up!
  • The control surfaces are huge and that's good!
  • The high-torque, metal-geared servos are up to the job.
  • High-power 3S and 4S compatible brushless outrunner motor and 50-amp ESC
  • The AS3X helps smooth things out.
  • The landing gear is well thought out and can take a hit.
  • There are LED lights to provide some "cool" factor.
  • And more!

Timber X 1.2m - RCGroups Overview Video (6 min 52 sec)

What do you get?

• E-flite Timber X 1.2m with
  • 50A Brushless ESC
  • Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • High-Torque, Metal-Geared Servos
  • Spektrum AR636 6-Channel Receiver
  • Set of Optional-Use Leading Edge Slats
  • Product Manual

Let's Look in the Box

The Build

The build on the Timber X is so easy that it's the kind of plane you could purchase at a show and have flying in 30 minutes. Here are some of the building highlights...

Landing Gear

Elevator

Linkages

Wing

Slats

SPM Files for the Timber X

Man do I love having access to radio setups from the folks that designed this plane! All you have to do is download the .spm file to your transmitter SD card and transfer it over to your transmitter.

Battery Options

You can run a 3 cell lipo or a 4 cell lipo on the Timber X. Be aware that it is propped for the 4 cell. When flying you could hover with the 3 cell but the climb out was just barely there. I think if you are new to RC then the 3 cell would be fine. If you are an advanced pilot then put the 4 cell battery in and experience a huge amount of power!!

LED Lights

The navigation lights might be good if you are a night flyer but the "cool" factor is pretty high as well!

AS3X

From Horizon:

This Bind-N-Fly Basic model is equipped with a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSMX® receiver featuring AS3X (Artificial Stabilization–3-aXis) technology that works behind the scenes to smooth out the effects of wind and turbulence so you enjoy a sense of stability and precision that makes it feel like you're flying a much larger, expertly tuned aircraft.

If this is your first model of its type, or you want an extra margin of safety while familiarizing yourself with the airplane, you can enable the optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection technology built into the receiver. No programming is required. Simply change up the binding sequence as directed in the manual.

With SAFE Select enabled, you get:

Pitch and Bank Angle Limits

These envelope limits keep the airplane from rolling or pitching upside down. They also prevent excessive climb or dive angles. Automatic Self-Leveling

The airplane instantly returns to and holds level flight when the sticks are released and in the center position. It’s also helpful for keeping the wings level during takeoffs/launches and landings. Easy Switch Assignment- No Programming Required

The simple procedure for assigning a transmitter switch to turn SAFE Select features on and off doesn't require any programming and takes just a few seconds. If you don’t want to enable the SAFE Select features, just bind the receiver normally and it will function like a standard AS3X receiver.

Flying Photos

Final Thoughts

I was looking for a plane that was relaxing and could also handle some 3D. The Timber X is all of those things and more. It is super easy to get into the air so that is a plus. If something has flaps I want multiple options and the Timber X delivers on that with 3 position flaps and coupling to the ailerons. I also love a fast roll rate. The Timber X has all of those things. It's also a great size and will fit in the back of many cars or trucks but you can take the wings off easily if needed.

I say it in the video but this plane would be fine as the first craft for a new flyer. On a 3 cell lipo it is pretty docile. If you utilize the SAFE feature you have an uber stable high-wing RC airplane that is very forgiving. The great part is that to take it to the next level all you have to do is add a 4 cell lipo. The vertical is there! Hovering is there and high alfa flight!

Since it is a high wing bird I expected more coupling. I'm betting the AS3X is doing it's job and smoothing all of that out. Be sure to watch the video to see what I'm typing about. It is an all-around flight performer.

The STOL capabilities are not only fun but can come in handy when you don't have a lot of area to take off or land. The landing gear has proven (thanks to me) to be able to take a hit. Throw in the ability to add floats and you have an amazingly well rounded RC plane.

The only real complaint I have is the battery compartment. I'm not fan of it being under the nose of the plane and it's pretty tight. I do have to work to velcro and strap the battery in. That is not a huge thing to me but something I wanted to note.

I'm always looking for the one plane you can take with you to the field, the beach or whatever. The Timber X might just be the plane for you and is that plane for me!!

More Info

Head over to Horizon Hobby for pricing and availability on the Timber X.

Jul 11, 2019, 11:22 PM
Can I use the spm on ix12?
The as3x programmer on ix12 can I use it for setup for this plane?
Jul 12, 2019, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfkr
Can I use the spm on ix12?
The as3x programmer on ix12 can I use it for setup for this plane?
Lots of info on this large Timber X thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...L3D%21/page159
Jul 25, 2019, 04:30 PM
Mountain Surfer
Hi Mister Graham, was wondering where you had your CG set when you and Mister Cole were ripping it on the flight review video? You guys seem to have it well balanced.
Last edited by NorCalFpvAddict; Jul 25, 2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Jul 25, 2019, 04:44 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
3.7" + or - 0.27" (95mm) from the leading edge of the wing measured at the fuselage but as I recall the battery compartment is so tight there isn't much wiggle room.
Jul 25, 2019, 04:52 PM
Mountain Surfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
3.7" + or - 0.27" (95mm) from the leading edge of the wing measured at the fuselage but as I recall the battery compartment is so tight there isn't much wiggle room.
Thanks Mister Graham, with my Zippy compact 2200 mah 4s space was tight aswell. With a CNHL lipo I can only fit a 1800mah 4s. It Looks like I'll have to use the steel spar for the horizontal stabs to get my CG that far back.

Have a good day

Robert
Last edited by NorCalFpvAddict; Aug 18, 2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Responded to my own post LOL
Aug 18, 2019, 06:11 PM
Great little airplane! I had picked up mine back on March 2nd.
It can take a hit, but not too hard though. I had completely broke off my right landing gear on my maiden flight. While it was up in the air it flew like a dream! It was quick and snappy on the 3S battery. I can only imagine how quick that this Timber can be on a 4S. The slats combined with the flaps had made it a really nice floater in 5 mph winds. Control authority was clearly there, especially when throttle was applied.

BTW, the Download files do not work for the Timber on any of the Spektrum DX6, DX9, or other radios that I have clicked on. The error message comes up as Error 404 file not found.

Thank you for your review. I really enjoyed watching it on YouTube as well.
Aug 18, 2019, 07:28 PM
Mountain Surfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
Great little airplane! I had picked up mine back on March 2nd.
It can take a hit, but not too hard though. I had completely broke off my right landing gear on my maiden flight. While it was up in the air it flew like a dream! It was quick and snappy on the 3S battery. I can only imagine how quick that this Timber can be on a 4S. The slats combined with the flaps had made it a really nice floater in 5 mph winds. Control authority was clearly there, especially when throttle was applied.

BTW, the Download files do not work for the Timber on any of the Spektrum DX6, DX9, or other radios that I have clicked on. The error message comes up as Error 404 file not found.

Thank you for your review. I really enjoyed watching it on YouTube as well.
Sorry about the landing gear, I agree it is amazing especially on 4S. I can drop a file if you need one I have both setups

Luckily the landing gear is pretty inexpensive at least in my opinion.

Cheers
Last edited by NorCalFpvAddict; Aug 18, 2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Aug 18, 2019, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFpvAddict
Sorry about the landing gear, I agree it was amazing especially on 4S. I can drop a file if you need one I have both.

Luckily in the landing gear is pretty inexpensive I think .

Cheers
The landing gear itself is fine, it was the base mount within the fuse that had broken away. Im hopeful that my super glue and gorilla glue repair will do the trick.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:00 AM
Any idea why the setup files for this model on the Horizon Hobby web page are not compatable with a DX18 radio when trying to load i get a DX8E File text on the screen
Aug 21, 2019, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
The landing gear itself is fine, it was the base mount within the fuse that had broken away. I'm hopeful that my super glue and gorilla glue repair will do the trick.
Don't feel bad - Mine came apart at the exact same spot after a flight or two. and not even crashed. I've re-glued it a dozen times by now.

The only problem with this plane (aside from my posts about fixing the elevator and rudder control rods in place in the main thread) is typical crap servo's, of which 2 are "reversed" so even more of a pain in the ass to replace. Mine's had parkinsons for a couple months now. Poor quality servo's only lasted 15 flights and no response from HH when I requested replacements.
Aug 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
The gear's still doing fine on mine & I fly it at a fairly rough dirt field.
Haven't had a very bad landing yet, so that might be a problem at some point.

Other than one twitchy aileron servo, which hasn't been an issue when flying, I've had no problems with the stock servos.

What's the issue with the control rods ?
Aug 21, 2019, 11:55 AM
take off the wing and bottom hatch. If you look down-in-and-back, the pushrod guides are stuck into slots inside the fuselage ribs.

Make sure they are glued in. Mine wheren't and if they come out of those slots, you have no tail surfaces.

a long BBQ skewer with a dab of epoxy or hot glue is an easy quick fix.
Aug 22, 2019, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
Don't feel bad - Mine came apart at the exact same spot after a flight or two. and not even crashed. I've re-glued it a dozen times by now.

The only problem with this plane (aside from my posts about fixing the elevator and rudder control rods in place in the main thread) is typical crap servo's, of which 2 are "reversed" so even more of a pain in the ass to replace. Mine's had parkinsons for a couple months now. Poor quality servo's only lasted 15 flights and no response from HH when I requested replacements.
So I'm not the only one with the landing gear base issue.
I'll keep my eyes open on these parts.
Thanks.
Good luck!

Quick Reply