May 07, 2019, 05:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

1/10 Hornet

hi all, been a while since i've been on rc groups, but got inspired to post my latest musing after seeing gdimonte's hornet build. id started this a while ago at around the same time i was doing my hawk 127 conversion kit, got busy living and so it had been shelved for a while. so here it is anyway. not a perfect 1/10 but close to it. its 1710 mm long has 1230 mm wingspan. at this stage will be a pusher for simplicity. but certainly has architecture to support edf later down the road. as you can see it is designed to be made from hotwire cut sections. each 50 mm width 28 sections total. excuse the lazy lofted sections in the model. they arent perfect in some areas but model is good enough for what i need
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2019, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
little more progress, modeled up the vertical tails. these will be 3d printed and inserted into the fuselage.
May 10, 2019, 05:35 PM
If you have time, post weights of your printed parts. I’d like to see how it compares with the foam parts.
May 15, 2019, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdimonte
If you have time, post weights of your printed parts. I’d like to see how it compares with the foam parts.
indeed i will! ive just about finished up models for printed parts, so they wont be too far away
May 15, 2019, 06:25 AM
Thread OP
pretty much finished up the last of the model'd parts for 3d printing. now just running through to make template to cut the sections and then to get them laser cut
May 16, 2019, 06:35 AM
One of my lessons learned.
If your printing your elevator control horns (not sure if that’s the correct terminology) in pla, keep this in mind.
I found that the pla relaxes over time. I would tighten the screw on my control horn to the point where I could drive the servo by moving the elevator. By the end of the week, the elevator could be rotated on the shaft and the servo wouldn’t move.
I had to stiffen my design to get enough clamping force to hold onto the shaft.
If I had to do it again, I would glue a square section to the shaft to take the torque and have the matching section on the control horn. That way, your not relying on the clamping force to hold the shaft.

Test your design to make sure it doesn’t have the same issue.
May 17, 2019, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdimonte
One of my lessons learned.
If your printing your elevator control horns (not sure if that’s the correct terminology) in pla, keep this in mind.
I found that the pla relaxes over time. I would tighten the screw on my control horn to the point where I could drive the servo by moving the elevator. By the end of the week, the elevator could be rotated on the shaft and the servo wouldn’t move.
I had to stiffen my design to get enough clamping force to hold onto the shaft.
If I had to do it again, I would glue a square section to the shaft to take the torque and have the matching section on the control horn. That way, your not relying on the clamping force to hold the shaft.

Test your design to make sure it doesn’t have the same issue.
good to know! last time i did a flying tail was on my hawk 127 and it had 3d printed horn on it, but never flew it so not sure how it wouldve held up. on this particular one its designed with an aluminium rod bonded into the stabilator and then through a couple bearings and locking hubs to keep it in, the horn itself is an aluminium clamping hub from servo city ( https://www.servocity.com/770-clamping-hubs ) with a laser cut horn bolted to it. im still not 100% on whether the glue itself will be strong enough to keep the rod attached. i have been tossing up the idea of adding a spade in the end of it to really lock it in as well as the glue

Quick Reply