May 21, 2019, 08:29 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
I'll check it out again. The last fuselage I modified from the original sailplane, adding the motor. It was a little nose heavy compared to the pure but flew well so I left it alone. I think this one may be a little rearward. I'll try a little nose weight & see if I can sneak up on a good flight balance.

I really don't know how to check it accurately or what to do about it if it's off other than it would be easy to shim the horizontal stabilizer. As it is, Corky's kits are pretty precise and consistent though, pretty interchangeable. Not sure why this new fuselage would be off but after a crash and considering the damage to the wing, anything is possible.

And FWIW, I put a pull spring setup in this new fuselage and left the pushrods out.
Your first was a modified F3RES, my electric fuse has a shorter nose and stronger boom. You will need to balance it at close to 2.8" back from the front center wing.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy
Eyes are the worst place to get poison ivy. Guess what the second-worst place is? It was *NOT* fun...trust me!
I found benadryl spray helpful in this situation, though I'll admit I can think of another location that might be "second worst", so I'm not entirely sure which you mean. Nor do I want to know.
May 28, 2019, 12:30 PM
Luckily, I have only gotten myself attacked by poison ivy once and it was not too bad. I found through trial and error that the thing that helped most to dry it up and stop the itching was rubbing alcohol. You might want to try that in those areas that the alcohol will not do damage (like in the eyes). My guess is it will work for all areas of exposed skin. Good luck!
May 28, 2019, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
The way you describe it flying it sounds like it's tail heavy. Double check the CG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
Your first was a modified F3RES, my electric fuse has a shorter nose and stronger boom. You will need to balance it at close to 2.8" back from the front center wing.
I added 5.8 gr. in the nose and things improved greatly. Windy yesterday so still in the trim mode but managed to briefly snag a couple of thermals which drifted off downwind like a banshee. Also "sloped" over a tree line & she flew fine. Still turns flatter/better in a right (clockwise) turn than left. May be a slight warp or something from the damage but overall back in business! Thanks Corky.

Man this wind.

PS Tom Scully's 3m that won the show in Toledo is even more gorgeous in person! He flew it at Mid South
May 28, 2019, 02:45 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
I added 5.8 gr. in the nose and things improved greatly. Windy yesterday so still in the trim mode but managed to briefly snag a couple of thermals which drifted off downwind like a banshee. Also "sloped" over a tree line & she flew fine. Still turns flatter/better in a right (clockwise) turn than left. May be a slight warp or something from the damage but overall back in business! Thanks Corky.

Man this wind.

PS Tom Scully's 3m that won the show in Toledo is even more gorgeous in person! He flew it at Mid South
Sounds good, you can check for warps on a flat surface. I would compare the washout side to side. The wing won't twist easy but if it's off a little you may be able to over twist with some shims and weights and re-shrink/set the covering.

The Mid South sure looked like a great event - glad you checked it out. We tried to have a little contest yesterday with F3RES planes and it was very windy. We did get some flying in and found good lift a few times. Planes flew good but sometimes getting back on the ground when the turbulent air was very active it got a little exciting. We finally bailed and grilled dogs.

Quick Reply