May 21, 2019, 07:01 PM
Old guy learning new stuff
minirotor and EricB., my free version of Picasim start screen looks exactly like what is seen in post #11. EricB., if you don't have the exact same screen on opening, I'd say remove and reload the free version.

I click on the gear which opens the options menu. At the top on the right of the options menu page I click on the tab labeled "Joystick". If your radio is connected, then you should be able to see some channels being operated by wiggling your transmitter joy sticks.

Rick
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 03:54 PM
Rick.
What sort of USB dongle(type/brand) are you using?
Ken
May 22, 2019, 06:27 PM
Ken,
I'm cabled. I was intending to get a dongle. There is the FRSky unit for $20 available from Aloft, and a generic unit from China for a dollar less. But after a few flights on the sim, and after a long session out on the field today with my U-Glider, (including a three minute power off flight over a plowed patch of field!) I'm gonna hold off on getting a dongle.

I don't have a large screen at home to make use of. My laptop is the only screen I have access to for sim use, so I don't see much advantage for me to get the dongle. But my opinion may change as I progress. I would like to venture into FPV, both fixed wing and eventually quad copters.

Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance to the both of us.
Rick
May 22, 2019, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchalmers3
Ken,
I'm cabled. I was intending to get a dongle. There is the FRSky unit for $20 available from Aloft, and a generic unit from China for a dollar less. But after a few flights on the sim, and after a long session out on the field today with my U-Glider, (including a three minute power off flight over a plowed patch of field!) I'm gonna hold off on getting a dongle.

I don't have a large screen at home to make use of. My laptop is the only screen I have access to for sim use, so I don't see much advantage for me to get the dongle. But my opinion may change as I progress. I would like to venture into FPV, both fixed wing and eventually quad copters.
Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance to the both of us.
Rick
Sounds like your off to a good start.
Few things to be carefull(that will give you a bad day) when 'lurning' to fly gliders;
1. Strongish Wind & Or Obsticles(makes a lot of turblance-partically when taking off and landing)
2. Do not climb-turn or descend steeply(keep everything shallow and gentle)
3. The sim will always be usefull to go to-partically when trying a new advanced flying manouver.
What brand of cable are you using?
Is it pluged into the USB?
Generally any sort of devise(leads or wireless) that
Is used to run a sim(game) is called a dongle.
Ken
May 23, 2019, 06:48 AM
Hiya Ken, How's winter in Queensland?

Yeah, I'm making all types of rookie flying errors, and I'm only reporting the sweet stuff! I'm trying with each launch to remember to incorporate things that work into each subsequent flight. Some examples are: flying most of the battery out while maintaining a 2 or 3 mistake altitude, rounding the power climb into cruise level while throttling back, pushing the plane into the turn direction I want vs what the trim, breeze (or thermal!) influences have on the plane in any moment, and so on. I have much more practice to do in the basics of becoming proficient at simple line of sight flying, as well as the more advanced techniques of slowing down and speeding up the plane in flight. In my favor, I have a little experience of RC slope soaring from decades ago, so I have some recollection of maintaining shallow turns and slowing the plane down in proximity to earth!

The foamy that I used yesterday, a U-Glider from Bangood, with mods suggested by Andrew Newton of NSW, has a reputation for good flight characteristics right out of the box. I flew that one instead of the two scratch built planes I have produced over our winter. I figure my hand built models will have some, uh, unique characteristics to be discovered that might make maiden flights a bit more tricky, so I left them at home. Having said all this, I just need more time and experience, and I look forward to accumulating the ability to successfully sort out and enjoy my scratch built planes. They are both a bit heavier than the U-Glider and carry heavier, longer lasting batteries, There is little room to ballast the U-Glider, so I'm looking forward to being able to fly them when the breezes are up.

Ken, I'm using a generic USB cable I sourced from the famous drawer we all have at home that we use to capture extra bits of appliances and electronic gadgets. I can't tell you anything more about it other than it's white, it's a meter or so in length and it works! My Dell laptop running Windows 8 has 3 or 4 USB ports, and the cable seems to work in any place I choose to use.

Cheers,
Rick
May 23, 2019, 06:30 PM
Rick.
Winter here at moment is more like summer(15deg C nights, to 20deg C days--but 20kt SE winds, but we do not have a slope for that direction here)

I hope EricB is having luck with running his Pica sim.
Ken
Last edited by minirotor; May 23, 2019 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply