May 06, 2019, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

lots of questions for DIY hover craft

I'm planning to build a DIY hover craft. I have for a long time wanted a boat, but realized I wouldn't have many chances to play with it, came to realize, a hover craft would be a perfect alternative. I have all the electronics except a radio rx/tx. I do have a lot of questions. I have been googling, but wanted to get some decent first hand experience where possible!

What I'm looking to build: something comparable to a 1/10 or 1/8 scale hover craft. I have an rc car that's technically 1/10, but uses 1/8 tires, and I'd just like my hover craft to be around the same size. As for speed, I have the usual requirement, that it can move faster than my kids. I'd also like to be able to run on cut grass as well as water.

The electronics that I have... 4x 960kv BLDC motors. 4x ESCs for them and a couple of 3s batteries. A 3d printer for fabrication where needed.

I'm thinking, two motors for forward movement, two motors for the lift. One servo for directing the directional motors.

I have a general idea for the body. I don't know what material is best and would love to hear some suggestions. I've heard... Adams form board (I believe) that someone I know who does RC planes suggested for the body. I do have concerns about a water repellent body. I'd also like it to be light but still have a bit of rigidity. Aside form maintaining it's own structure, I'd hope it can withstand a few bumps while I get a feel for the controls.

The skirt. This is the one that I have the most questions about. Starting with, what makes for the best material? Are there any best practices for how big it should be? I assume a shower curtain would do it, but will it really?

Then inflating the skirt... I have seen different approaches. I was considering something that might be had to visualize... The lift motors will push air against the flat panel, that directs air into the skirt. Then the skirt vents into the center for lift. I'm thinking of 3d printing a bracket more or less that'll help capture the and vent the air instead of putting holes into the skirt. I want making the skirt as easy as it can be since I'm guessing that'll be what I replace more frequently.

Then the motors.. I'm looking into props. These motors were intended for a F450 quad frame with 8-10 inch props. I'm thinking about going towards something smaller but use a three bladed prop and 2d print a channel to help direct the air and maybe keep some efficiency. A lot of this will be trial and error, but I'm hoping to cut down on the error portion.

Finally, the radio controller. I had said that I'm looking for something similar to a car controller. I like the idea of the simple trigger for speed, and wheel for direction. The only difference is, I'd like a 3rd channel on a dial or a slide. I'd like this to control the lift motors that'll inflate the skirt. Since I'm not sure exactly how much power it'll take to lift it, or if it'll need different power levels for different terrains, I'd like to be able to adjust that, but once it's been set, it should be able to be left alone. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for an rc radio rx/tx that fits that bill that hopefully doesn't break the bank.

lastly, if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I've built a quad, but never did a lot with it. I have a general knowledge, but not a ton of experience. I do however use my 1/10 rc truggy a ton. It isn't the exact same, obviously, but they feel like distance cousins. I think this would be a great project, but I'm still absolutely in fact finding mode.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2019, 10:10 AM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceless105
I'm planning to build a DIY hover craft. I have for a long time wanted a boat, but realized I wouldn't have many chances to play with it, came to realize, a hover craft would be a perfect alternative. I have all the electronics except a radio rx/tx. I do have a lot of questions. I have been googling, but wanted to get some decent first hand experience where possible!

What I'm looking to build: something comparable to a 1/10 or 1/8 scale hover craft. I have an rc car that's technically 1/10, but uses 1/8 tires, and I'd just like my hover craft to be around the same size. As for speed, I have the usual requirement, that it can move faster than my kids. I'd also like to be able to run on cut grass as well as water.

The electronics that I have... 4x 960kv BLDC motors. 4x ESCs for them and a couple of 3s batteries. A 3d printer for fabrication where needed.

I'm thinking, two motors for forward movement, two motors for the lift. One servo for directing the directional motors.

I have a general idea for the body. I don't know what material is best and would love to hear some suggestions. I've heard... Adams form board (I believe) that someone I know who does RC planes suggested for the body. I do have concerns about a water repellent body. I'd also like it to be light but still have a bit of rigidity. Aside form maintaining it's own structure, I'd hope it can withstand a few bumps while I get a feel for the controls.

The skirt. This is the one that I have the most questions about. Starting with, what makes for the best material? Are there any best practices for how big it should be? I assume a shower curtain would do it, but will it really?

Then inflating the skirt... I have seen different approaches. I was considering something that might be had to visualize... The lift motors will push air against the flat panel, that directs air into the skirt. Then the skirt vents into the center for lift. I'm thinking of 3d printing a bracket more or less that'll help capture the and vent the air instead of putting holes into the skirt. I want making the skirt as easy as it can be since I'm guessing that'll be what I replace more frequently.

Then the motors.. I'm looking into props. These motors were intended for a F450 quad frame with 8-10 inch props. I'm thinking about going towards something smaller but use a three bladed prop and 2d print a channel to help direct the air and maybe keep some efficiency. A lot of this will be trial and error, but I'm hoping to cut down on the error portion.

Finally, the radio controller. I had said that I'm looking for something similar to a car controller. I like the idea of the simple trigger for speed, and wheel for direction. The only difference is, I'd like a 3rd channel on a dial or a slide. I'd like this to control the lift motors that'll inflate the skirt. Since I'm not sure exactly how much power it'll take to lift it, or if it'll need different power levels for different terrains, I'd like to be able to adjust that, but once it's been set, it should be able to be left alone. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for an rc radio rx/tx that fits that bill that hopefully doesn't break the bank.

lastly, if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I've built a quad, but never did a lot with it. I have a general knowledge, but not a ton of experience. I do however use my 1/10 rc truggy a ton. It isn't the exact same, obviously, but they feel like distance cousins. I think this would be a great project, but I'm still absolutely in fact finding mode.
Why not print the entire craft.
Kraken Mk2 Hovercraft Test flight 2 (1 min 17 sec)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
May 06, 2019, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
I'm down for that, but didn't know if it might create a little too much weight

Quick Reply