May 06, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blue Jacket Osprey

Hey folks,

Picked up a blue jacket osprey kit this weekend off of the Facebook market place for a song. Just wondering if any of you guys have built one of these boats, and if you know anything about itís sailing characteristics.

Itís a pretty cool kit, one piece fiberglass Hull, with a traditional full keel.

Curious what your experiences are with rc sailboats without a long deep bulb type keel. The instructions for this kit shown stuffing the molded fiberglass keel with steel shot, but Iím wondering if this thing needs a longer deeper keel and rudder to sail well.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2019, 01:55 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Kegan,

Welcome to this forum!

Traditional model sailboats tend to be a bit more tender in gusts, but in general sail very good, no worries.
It's an idea to replace the steelshot with lead(shot) as it has a higher density and can sit lower in the keel.
It's also possible to pour molten lead in the hollow keel to get the CoG even lower.
Make sure the hull is in the water when you go this route, or the fiberglass will get damaged, cooled in water this doesn't occur. Cover the water surface to avoid molten lead hitting the water, this is potentially very dangerous!

I'm sure others will respond.

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; May 06, 2019 at 02:02 PM.
May 06, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP

Blue Jacket Osprey

Good advice thanks! I already purchased 8# of lead shot off of amazon. You are right on about lead vs steel.

I also like the idea of pouring lead into the keel while itís in the water. Thanks a lot. Looking forward to what other people say!
Last edited by kegan; May 06, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
May 13, 2019, 01:43 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Kegan,

I'm dissappointed that nobody has reacted to your post (yet), there must have been more Osprey's sold and build over the years.
In particular the pouring of lead in the keelsection is something I've never done personally, but have seen pictures of on this forum.
Perhaps ask in the 'regular' sailboat section?

Regards, Jan.
May 14, 2019, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the note....I contacted blue jacket about seeing if they had another mast laying around (mine is missing the rig) they told me that the osprey was a very unpopular kit. I think they said in 2011 they sold only one all year.

That being said, Iím still surprised there isnít something online showing build pictures etc.

Thanks for the advice about pouring the lead. I bought small lead shot off eBay and Iím trying to decide if I want to melt it down or pour the shot in with some epoxy. Iím afraid I wonít be able to pour molten lead into the keel while itís in the water without making a complete mess and burning myself! I work with my hands every day so I canít be injuring myself with my hobbies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply