Sep 15, 2019, 01:55 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I am considering this after nearly getting burned with a Tarsier. I have the Firefly 8SE in fixed wing and utilise its same remote control function with the dongle and it performs really well, problem is, once you get to take stills and edit on the fly with start stop record its hard to ever step back to split cameras that don't give you any control whatsoever once you power up. The EIS is another clincher, I'm amazed other makers are still holding back on this feature as I won't fly without it. It at least makes my videos watchable by others..lol
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsOG
Just as a quick update, Hawkeye has been quietly releasing regular firmware updates for this camera.
Does anybody know if any of these updates feature a working camera control protocol??

Or is this just the same problem that Tarsiers have?

The company wont reply to me, and neither will any of the guys who have done reviews.

Seems like the reason is obvious, and nobody wants to say it.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:25 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwenty
Does anybody know if any of these updates feature a working camera control protocol??

Or is this just the same problem that Tarsiers have?

The company wont reply to me, and neither will any of the guys who have done reviews.

Seems like the reason is obvious, and nobody wants to say it.
You just need their converter module to give PWM control using a spare radio channel.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:15 PM
I've had a look and cant see it anywhere - do you know where I could find a link to the item?
Sep 16, 2019, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've had a look and cant see it anywhere - do you know where I could find a link to the item?
Maybe this one? https://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-Rem...r_warehouse=CN
But there is no information on will it work with Hawkeye Firefly Split or how to connect it...
Sep 16, 2019, 08:34 PM
aka CatsFPV
According to a question on Banggood, that cable allows you to use one of Hawkeye's action cams as a "split" camera with an FPV feed.

As best as I can tell, the two trigger wires are meant to be operated via a literal switch...whether to V+ or ground, your guess is as good as mine.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:24 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
According to a question on Banggood, that cable allows you to use one of Hawkeye's action cams as a "split" camera with an FPV feed.

As best as I can tell, the two trigger wires are meant to be operated via a literal switch...whether to V+ or ground, your guess is as good as mine.
FWIW my Hawkeye Firefly 8SE 4K action cam uses a very similar looking control dongle. It uses PWM to give photo (1000ms) standby (1500ms) or video rec (2000ms) with an extra lead providing composite video output along with 2s-6s power input.
I would expect this to be the same, as the split is based on the 8SE action camera internals. It may just require the micro usb to be removed and wired to the flying leads colour for colour, as they are all there.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:42 PM
Are you sure the 8SE has similar internals? The specs are not close and based on the still images I'm getting from the Firefly split 4k, the sensor may be 5MP or less, rather than the 12MP sensor in the 8SE. Does anyone know what sensor the Split 4K uses? I'm very disappointed with mine.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:18 AM
I watched a Gal Kremer comparison video and the Hawkeye looked awful next to the restricted Tarsier:

Hawkeye Firefly Split 4K Vs Caddx Tarsier - FPV Side By Side Comparison (3 min 54 sec)
Last edited by ptwenty; Sep 19, 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:57 AM
aka CatsFPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
FWIW my Hawkeye Firefly 8SE 4K action cam uses a very similar looking control dongle. It uses PWM to give photo (1000ms) standby (1500ms) or video rec (2000ms) with an extra lead providing composite video output along with 2s-6s power input.
I would expect this to be the same, as the split is based on the 8SE action camera internals. It may just require the micro usb to be removed and wired to the flying leads colour for colour, as they are all there.
I actually found a line in some documentation for the Split that said active ground for switching.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:58 AM
aka CatsFPV
Quote:
I watched a Gal Kremer comparison video and the Hawkeye looked awful next to the restricted Tarsier
Looks out of focus to me. In fact, even the Tarsier looked terrible in that video.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Looks out of focus to me. In fact, even the Tarsier looked terrible in that video.
I hope for their sake it is just a focus issue, because 4k is no use viewed through frosted glass.

The optics are every bit as important as the sensor, even more so Id say.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:21 PM
'Extreme Fabricator'
Quote:
I hope for their sake it is just a focus issue, because 4k is no use viewed through frosted glass.

The optics are every bit as important as the sensor, even more so Id say.
Exactly right. Good quality coated glass lenses that are properly optimised for the sensor used is the only way of achieving anything half decent at 4K.
Lenses should be the most expensive part the manufacturer puts into the camera, the amount of aberration and distortion is directly proportional to cost.
Sep 24, 2019, 06:59 PM
Quote:

They are active low with pull-up resistors. I have them connected to relay outputs (GPIO pins) on my flight controller board and I have setup ardupilot to control both video and shutter release from the flight controller or mission commands. There is more shutter delay than there should be and the video signal is pulse to start, pulse again to stop instead of record while low like it should be, but it works well enough.

The real problem with this camera is the image quality. I don't know what sensor it uses, but it sure isn't the 12MP effective implied by the marketing info. Perhaps less than 5MP.

Also, the ribbon cable on mine had two broken signals when I received it and I had to order a replacement myself to test the camera as neither Hawkeye, nor geekbuying where I purchased it would even respond to my complaint about it.

It's too bad. The specs sounded great for building a sub-250g all-up camera setup.
Sep 25, 2019, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0112358
The real problem with this camera is the image quality. I don't know what sensor it uses, but it sure isn't the 12MP effective implied by the marketing info. Perhaps less than 5MP.
Do the image dimensions make sense?

12MP should be 4000 pixels by 3000 pixels ?

Could it be that it is 12MP but that the tiny amounts of in-flight camera shake introduce just enough blur to make it appear inferior to pukka 12MP?

I know that jello is noticeable when it is bad, but when it is almost insignificant, could that account for the inferior picture compared with a tripod mounted still shot, for example?

it almost sounds like I am trying to stick up for it !!! I'm not - I'm on your side lol

Quick Reply