May 05, 2019, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Weather station for flying field.

Does anyone run a weather station for their flying field, particularly for wind speed and wind direction? I want to do something that runs off small solar panels. Hopefully it would be able to connect to a raspberry pi and upload to a web server or get direct cellular data and be able to access with an app or something. I live 10-15 minutes from my club and the wind can vary greatly.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2019, 04:32 AM
Check Netatmo, if suit your needs.
May 09, 2019, 06:15 AM
I have a mobile phone running an Automate script that takes a Photo of our pits area and a tiny OLED display that displays wind direction/speed. Every 10minutes it uploads to Google drive two pictures that anyone can access. The downside is that any errors such as network unavailability or google drive playing hard to get cause it to stop - happens on average about once per month or less.

My first version that goes back bout 7 years used a GSM module with a processor that would answer calls and give a spoken commentary of the weather. Worked very well for many years.

Peter
May 20, 2019, 04:03 PM
I have read a number of the articles about this type of project at Instructables.com or makezine.com. After two years I have not made the leap to take the time to try it. Some good information for a weather station with a raspberry pi or arduino type of processor does exist. Most include options for several sensors such as humidity, temp, wind speed, and wind direction. Several include data reporting via wifi or cellular. the big hurdle for me is to keep my cellular plan in check. Ideally a camera could sense sun vrs cloud and maybe even upload an image every so often so you can see if others are at the field.

https://www.instructables.com/howto/weather+station/

Let us know if you decide to dive into a project. I'd like to know how it goes.

Quick Reply