May 04, 2019, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV flight line

hey guys the fpv flight line will be in the same area as it was last year. back behind the 3d area near the river. i am going to bring some gates for anyone that would like to try flying a race course. my friend jim snodgrass designed the course. it will have an easy outer ring for beginners and then alternative inner obstacles for intermediate to advanced pilots. come on over and try it out if you get chance. i'll post some diagrams of the course in this thread as well. i am not sure if we will have any formal timing equipment setup but i may bring one of my small timers so folks can get an idea of what their best lap time is.

kevin t.
Last edited by kevinjulieevan; May 04, 2019 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 01:19 PM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Very neat. Will be fun to see Evan blast through the course at full speed in person.
May 04, 2019, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds
Very neat. Will be fun to see Evan blast through the course at full speed in person.

Unfortunately due to school and some other conflicts evan may not be there . He may come the first weekend but he has final testing for school all week during Joe Nall ! Even Friday !!
May 05, 2019, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds

Turns out evan is coming to nall for the first weekend !!
May 05, 2019, 08:59 PM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan
Turns out evan is coming to nall for the first weekend !!
See you guys there Doc!
May 06, 2019, 09:31 AM
I wish MGP would come back, but i guess that's not happening. That was one of my favorite Nall's
May 06, 2019, 01:19 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Some of the best FPV I saw come out of Joe Nall was from Steele ... really captured the feel of the event and excitement down on the 3d line.

(Setting the Bar) Joe Nall 2017 FPV vs Giant Scale 3D (4 min 20 sec)
May 06, 2019, 02:41 PM
That was an EPIC year! Also back in 2013 when Flite Test and David Windestal were there. David got some incredible 3D line footage with his tricopter.
Smoke on the Water - RCExplorer.se (3 min 54 sec)
May 07, 2019, 04:59 AM
It appears the FPV area is for quadcopters and such. Will it be possible to fly fixed winged aircraft with FPV in this area? In the past few years I have flown my FPV Stratosurfer from the electric flight line without any problems or issues. Which flightline should FPV airplanes fly?

Thanks,
May 07, 2019, 07:15 AM
Course looks great. See you there!
May 07, 2019, 01:10 PM
I look forward to seeing the layout of the FPV flight line in person.

Will the perimeter be marked? There were some tents who mistook the FPV flight area as open for camping during Fall Nall and placed tents. It wasn't too busy, so I didnt experience an issue. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
May 08, 2019, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoflyer
It appears the FPV area is for quadcopters and such. Will it be possible to fly fixed winged aircraft with FPV in this area? In the past few years I have flown my FPV Stratosurfer from the electric flight line without any problems or issues. Which flightline should FPV airplanes fly?

Thanks,
the fpv area is surrounded by trees and fairly small. alex greve aka ibcrazy has flown his fpv wings there but it looked challenging. i'm not really sure about the rules regarding fpv over at the electric line. i think the website says to check with staff regarding fpv anywhere other than the fpv area and to coordinate with the fpv flight line regarding channels. i think this year they are mainly using raceband channels so if i were you i would clear it with someone running the electric line and then just let the fpv flight line know you are planning to do some fpv flying over there and have them reserve a channel for you for a few hours so noone plugs in on your feed. of course my advice with that many people in one area would be to stay low and stay close and if someone does plug in on you let a line of site spotter just take over if you lose your feed. i have a nanogoblin that i might bring but i wasn't sure if it would be worth the hassle.
May 08, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepopala
I look forward to seeing the layout of the FPV flight line in person.

Will the perimeter be marked? There were some tents who mistook the FPV flight area as open for camping during Fall Nall and placed tents. It wasn't too busy, so I didnt experience an issue. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
when i was there in the past they marked the perimeter with caution tape. the woods was one border , the river another border and then caution tape marked the rest of the border.
May 08, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan
when i was there in the past they marked the perimeter with caution tape. the woods was one border , the river another border and then caution tape marked the rest of the border.
I can confirm that tents were in the flight line at Fall Nall (see the video below). I hope that they'll be a little better enforced at regular Nall.

29s, 1:18 thru the end

https://youtu.be/xC4IjLkoFQg?t=29
May 08, 2019, 12:34 PM
Looking forward to the track! I've never flown race gates before...should be really fun! I plan to be there Thursday-Saturday (16-18), though I may be there the first Sunday too just spectating!

Quick Reply