May 04, 2019, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Building the Eindecker lighter

I bought what I believe is a pre-Balsa USA prototype kit. It's a little larger and the plans say drawn for BUSA. Anyway, it's built like a tank for glow engines. Huge thick fuselage sides and slab tail. I've built many kits, just ask the wife, so I know where to lose some of the weight. But what I lack are the tools. I would love to cut holes in the solid ribs and fuselage sides, but I'm sure I'll just end up splitting the wood. A huge hole punch would be perfect! I could use a coping saw on the fuselage I guess, but it would look better with punched corners. Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
I've been busy popping parts out of the die-cut sheets. The tail pieces weigh in at 3.6oz. I'm sure the horizontal could be built up at a fraction of that weight. I'm also thinking of doing away with the half ribs. That would be a savings of almost an ounce. Just for fun I weighed the fuselage sides and ply doublers, 6.25oz.

I was just Googling about this kit and found some interesting differences from the current kit and what I have. The original has a 60" wing, this one has 68", the new current kit has ailerons and a 5-1/2" cowl, and mine has no ailerons and a 7-3/8" cowl. The instructions are printed paper stapled together and are clearly Balsa USA. Even has their phone number, call day or night it says!
Last edited by flying jeep; May 04, 2019 at 04:52 PM.
May 05, 2019, 05:15 PM
Do yourself a favour and go to your local hardware store and get a set of Forstner drill bits. They will work wonders on cutting lightening holes in the ribs.
May 05, 2019, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y
Do yourself a favour and go to your local hardware store and get a set of Forstner drill bits. They will work wonders on cutting lightening holes in the ribs.
I thought of that but I was sure they would rip the crap out of balsa.
May 05, 2019, 09:24 PM
Just make sure you sit the ribs on another more solid piece of wood before drilling.
May 06, 2019, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Just make sure you sit the ribs on another more solid piece of wood before drilling.
That goes without saying, back it up. I bought a 1" bit, but not sure about the quality. It's all Lowe's had... I'll try on some scrap first. My wife is out of town all week, so the build has started on the coffee table in front of the TV.
May 06, 2019, 08:32 PM
Nice Don't forget to post some pics
May 06, 2019, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Nice Don't forget to post some pics
Of the coffee table......................with lightening holes
May 06, 2019, 09:27 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You need to find a friend with a laser cutter.
May 06, 2019, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Of the coffee table......................with lightening holes
Hahaha wouldn't that be a sight to see. And then a pic of the look on his wifes face hahaha.
May 06, 2019, 09:57 PM

Winter is finally over here!

Quote:
Hahaha wouldn't that be a sight to see. And then a pic of the look on his wifes face hahaha.
About jogging shoes with lightening holes
May 06, 2019, 09:59 PM
Keep the half ribs.... they are a visual treat.
Hardly worth discarding for an Ounce. when the fuse sides are silly heavy
Re-cut everything ? from scratch Is what I'd do immediately..... the thing reads , by your description... as a Flying Log.
And the No ailerons won't help much when trying to manouvre the lumberyard about.

Ps; Selfie sticks from the $ Store (2$) dissasembles into a graduated set of Brass tubes ...which once sharpened on one end make for Very Good hole cutting tools for Balsa.
Last edited by Bare; May 07, 2019 at 08:48 AM.
May 07, 2019, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
No mess yet!
May 07, 2019, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Keep the half ribs.... they are a visual treat.
Hardly worth discarding for an Ounce. when the fuse sides are silly heavy
Re-cut everything ? from scratch Is what I'd do immediately..... the thing reads , by your description... as a Flying Log.
And the No ailerons won't help much when trying to manouvre the lumberyard about.

Ps; Selfie sticks from the $ Store (2$) dissasembles into a graduated set of Brass tubes ...which once sharpened on one end make for Very Good hole cutting tools for Balsa.
I agree on the half ribs, not worth it. I'll punch a lot of holes in the tail feathers, but not the 1/4" ply firewall. I'll need the weight forward and you should see my landings! I'm not really sure about trying to drill holes in the fuselage sides. It's all pretty soft light balsa so I'm afraid I will be patching a bunch of tear outs. I am adding ailerons! That's easy. But one thing I've never done is pull-pull cables on a kit. My full scale Kitfox has spring tension on the rudder controls, how do you do it in a model?
May 07, 2019, 11:14 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Ahhh. Punch holes! I smoke cigars. I have an assortment of razor sharp "plug cutters", basically different diameter steel tubes with one end sharpened to a scalpel level of sharpness. Any decent tobacconist ought to have some (though bigger than about 3/8s is hard to find. My biggest is about 1/2"). You could punch perfectly round holes to your heart's content with one...

Quick Reply