This thread is privately moderated by solentlife, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2019, 04:15 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Discussion

Maybe just getting old ?

I turned 63 in January .... but in fact only when climbing stairs do I feel old !

But my flying standards are getting worse. I swear I am going backwards ... especially when it comes to landings and such. Major problem is 'depth perception' - I swear I am lined up with runway ... but find myself landing into the rough !

Maybe its my glasses ?? I wear varifocal glasses having got fed up carrying two pairs, one for normal and others for reading.

I must say though ..... my flying today is improving my repair skills !!
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 05:16 AM
Don't get demoralized : I am 69 and I got a cancer in 1 eye. It has been treated with radiations and now it is dead, but the result is that I lost 80% sight on that eye and I can assure you that my depth perception is very poor, nevetheless I still can make acceptable landing.
The trick is to stay near the beginning line of runway and to pass next to you at 1m highness and then landing. Cons is that you must make a little bit more walking to recover your model, but anyway this is good for you health.
May 04, 2019, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle60
Don't get demoralized : I am 69 and I got a cancer in 1 eye. It has been treated with radiations and now it is dead, but the result is that I lost 80% sight on that eye and I can assure you that my depth perception is very poor, nevetheless I still can make acceptable landing.
The trick is to stay near the beginning line of runway and to pass next to you at 1m highness and then landing. Cons is that you must make a little bit more walking to recover your model, but anyway this is good for you health.
Hats off to you for your great attitude and dedication!
May 05, 2019, 11:06 PM
Modeling Retread
You might need new glasses, that never hurts, but what you probably need is practice. I have had stereopsis (very poor depth perception) all my life. I’ve flown models since I was a kid and even got my pilot’s license with the condition. Pretty much all “depth perception” is learned as (per my understanding) actual stereo vision is only good for 50ft, or so, therefore everyone has to practice, we just have to practice a little more.

After a decade or so of very little flying, in April of 2015, at 63 years old, I decided to get serious again. I bought an Eflite Sport Cub and woodshedded the practice. I tried to go out at least once every weekend and fly. After getting comfortable with the plane and the routine left hand pattern, I decided to push it. Windy? Fly. Crosswinds? Fly. Opposite wind requiring right hand pattern? Fly.

People compliment me on my flying and I tell them the secret - practice.

Quick Reply