Nov 14, 2019, 10:12 AM
Drill from the inside out. Don’t ask.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 10:32 AM
casual park flyer
Actually you remove the back cover off the xmtr first. Flip it over so the open battery compartment faces down. Then drill a 5/16" hole in the top left corner of the battery compartment from the outside. That hole just needs to be large enough to fit the small red connector through. But it must be all the way at the top so the wires will not interfere with the super tight installation of the 21700 pack itself. So you might need to elongate or enlarge the hole slightly as needed with a dremel.

The door will close on this w/o any further modifications or trimming.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Nov 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:29 AM
casual park flyer
As I stated before I got the internal module kit for my Hall T16. Easy install. But am hard pressed to justify putting it in. The external MPM is such a low profile and it works well. I have no interest in crossfire or any other module. If I go internal then I'd have to update the firmware and buy a replacement cover plate to fill the hole: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312792522417 So if it ain't broke, don't fix it and unless there's some range advantage I really see no reason to install the internal mod at all. I'm just an occasional park flyer with simple 4-6 channel airplanes.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:36 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
As I stated before I got the internal module kit for my Hall T16. Easy install. But am hard pressed to justify putting it in. The external MPM is such a low profile and it works well. I have no interest in crossfire or any other module. If I go internal then I'd have to update the firmware and buy a replacement cover plate to fill the hole: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312792522417 So if it ain't broke, don't fix it and unless there's some range advantage I really see no reason to install the internal mod at all. I'm just an occasional park flyer with simple 4-6 channel airplanes.
I think the biggest advantages are having the module bay free in the back if you DO use different external ones like Crossfire, R9M, etc. Also if you want/need to set up a wireless trainer config, the master radio having two modules makes it easy. Bind one MPM as a receiver to the student transmitter, and the other module in the master is bound to the plane. If you just have the MPM and have no interest in ever swapping it with something else, or using a wireless trainer setup, then it probably makes more sense to just stick with the external one.
Nov 14, 2019, 05:27 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafidepirate
Bind one MPM as a receiver to the student transmitter, and the other module in the master is bound to the plane.
This is witchcraft.

-= Dave
Nov 14, 2019, 09:01 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafidepirate
I think the biggest advantages are having the module bay free in the back if you DO use different external ones like Crossfire, R9M, etc. Also if you want/need to set up a wireless trainer config, the master radio having two modules makes it easy. Bind one MPM as a receiver to the student transmitter, and the other module in the master is bound to the plane. If you just have the MPM and have no interest in ever swapping it with something else, or using a wireless trainer setup, then it probably makes more sense to just stick with the external one.
OK, I'll probably go ahead and install it but my question remains, anyone notice a difference in range between the external and the internal MPM's? RSSI numbers?

Also, what's the small connector at the top of the board for?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Nov 14, 2019 at 09:52 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:02 PM
No numbers, just find both equally reliable.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:48 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
OK, I'll probably go ahead and install it but my question remains, anyone notice a difference in range between the external and the internal MPM's? RSSI numbers?

Also, what's the small connector at the top of the board for?
Not interested in buying and then soldering up a USB to serial adapter and associated nonsense for something I personally don't need anyway. Didn't know you had to do all this >https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...irmware-Update
So even though I installed the internal module, I'm taking it back out and putting it back in the box and forget about it. The external MPM is just fine for everything I do which is just putting around the park on a Sunday afternoon with a simple airplane.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:40 AM
What’s needed to update the fw in the new jumper 16 pro internal module to correct the dsm bug? I see a mini usb connector under the rubber cover on the top of the case. Does the T16 pro come with a RF deck bootloader installed or will I still have to do the same RF deck upgrade shown for the t16 internal deck addition? Any recommend YouTube videos on doing the upgrade?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nov 15, 2019, 04:07 AM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster
What’s needed to update the fw in the new jumper 16 pro internal module to correct the dsm bug? I see a mini usb connector under the rubber cover on the top of the case. Does the T16 pro come with a RF deck bootloader installed or will I still have to do the same RF deck upgrade shown for the t16 internal deck addition? Any recommend YouTube videos on doing the upgrade?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What firmware version does your radio have for the internal module?
Nov 15, 2019, 07:29 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
What firmware version does your radio have for the internal module?
Where/how do you read that?

Do I need to make up a USB to serial adapter to upgrade the module in both JumperTX and OpenTX? I plan on staying with JumperTX for now.
There's a video upgrading the module w/o using the adapter so it's confusing.
Radio is currently on Jumper 2.2.3. Do I need to update it to 2.3?
How do I read the external and internal modules version number?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Nov 15, 2019 at 08:09 AM.
Nov 15, 2019, 08:24 AM
Ben Lye
Quote:

Do I need to make up a USB to serial adapter to upgrade the module in both JumperTX and OpenTX? I plan on staying with JumperTX for now.
If you read the doc you would be less confused ;-)

This is what the upgrade how-to guide says:

Quote:
At the time of writing the only way to update the firmware on this module is by using an external USB-to-serial adapter with a custom wiring harness.

In the near future, when the T16 is supported by OpenTX (expected in the 2.3.2 release), it will be possible to update the module's firmware from a file copied to the SD card of the radio, but that is not the case yet.

Note: When OpenTX 2.3.2 is available, updating the module's firmware from the radio will require the module to have the bootloader installed. At this time Jumper is not shipping modules with the bootloader installed, so in order to be updated from the radio in the future, the process described here must be followed at least once (because it installs the bootloader).
Pay attention to that last paragraph.

You can read the version of the current firmware on the model setup page, just below where you select the protocol, in the line labelled 'Module status'.

If you plan to use the internal module with Spektrum/DSM receivers you must use either the JumperTX 2.2.3 firmware bin file linked to the how-to guide, or the OpenTX nightly builds. This is due to a bug in JumperTX.
Nov 15, 2019, 08:50 AM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:

My radio came with 1.2.1.85  on it which has the bootloader, so I didn't need to flash one. I'm on OpenTx nighlies which then allowed me to updated the internal module to the latest firmware using the radio.

This link shows a pic of where to see your version number https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post43113825
Nov 15, 2019, 09:03 AM
Ben Lye
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
My radio came with 1.2.1.85  on it which has the bootloader, so I didn't need to flash one. I'm on OpenTx nighlies which then allowed me to updated the internal module to the latest firmware using the radio.

This link shows a pic of where to see your version number https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post43113825
Cool. I'll update the how-to guide to reflect that new radios may be shipping with the bootloader now, and a note on how to check the version.
Nov 15, 2019, 09:17 AM
casual park flyer
Ok, I put it away and back to using external module. Going internal just is not of interest to me. I would have to buy and solder up a USB to serial adapter just for a one time update so I could fly my many DSM models. But why do all that when the external works fine (and so does my 9XR Pro w/orange module w/antenna mod.) I'm not interested in FPV, crossfire or flying a warbird beyond my normal visual range. Violation of FAA rules anyway.

These threads seem dominated by Taranis/FPV/drone fliers that may not want to pay for a more expensive radio like a Horus. And X10 guys that are frustrated with Frsky's access nonsense. Not too many old guys that fly basic airplanes and are coming from Turnigy and Orange DSM products. I just don't feel like I belong here.

Quick Reply