May 03, 2019, 10:26 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine Wizard X140HV - Finally a 3 inch Wizard that looks like the X220? (review)

Eachine has been producing many quads under the Wizard name, since the first X220. While in general, a good success, there were also often some rough edges. Finally, end of 2018, a 3 inch Wizard was released, the TS130, but it uses a very different design, much like the TS215, so one could argue if it's really part of the "Wizard-family", or could just as easily have been named very differently. With that in mind, the X140HV looks much more like it's "ancestor", the X220, so from that point of view, Eachine now finally comes with a 3 inch quad that looks more like a "shrunk" X220, so from that point of view, a "true Wizard". Nevertheless, in the end, what matters more how it flies, and how it looks, always comes second.

A sample from BG has been shipped and should be here very soon, at least so I got promised. As soon as it arrives, new updates to this thread can be expected.

Update 15 may 2019: After some issues with delivery, the quad is finally here.

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long written review, instead of some summarizing remarks or a single video, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic or on your RCG blog page. And please, no affiliate links!

Note: When clicking a link that is posted in this review, some text or numbers might be added to the link, making it appear to be an affiliate link. However, all links I post in the review are clean, and this addition is done automatically by your browser and forum software, so sadly beyond my influence. If you don’t want this to happen, copy the link, then paste this in an address line of a fresh browser window/tab.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Preparing for 1st Flight (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
8: Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a picture and a link:

https://www.eachine.com/Eachine-Wiza...TX-p-1458.html

When this thread was started, the Wizard X140HV was priced around 139USD, which roughly translates to 125 Euro. At this moment it only comes as PnP, so you will have to install the receiver of your choice, yourself.

2 - Unboxing:

The X140HV came in a strong cardboard box, with the "FPV Lizard/Dino" logo on it.

Inside the contents are held in a foam insert, so apart from the excellent protection that the strong cardboard part of the box already provides, this gives additional protection for the quad and accessories:

And this is what you get:

The resemblance with the X220 is definitely there, though the motors look a bit oversized compared to the narrow arms, and relatively low profile of the center section of the frame:

Here's a view from the top, showing the compressed-X frame shape, as well as the double, wide battery strap:

And from the bottom we can see the LED "cord" that follows the outlines of the frame:

Here you can see the electronics, which are divided in two stacks. At the front the ESC and FC, at the rear the VTX, and the LED/Buzzer board:

Strangely enough the two programmable LEDs also face down, instead of to the back.

The X140HV isn't the lightest 3 inch quad, without receiver, props, battery, or prop nuts, it's already 142.60g total weight. Eachine clearly didn't focus too much on keeping it light. Like the camera being mounted with CF plates, instead of using a smaller 3D printed mounts, and the prop nuts are steel, instead of aluminium. Changing these for lightweight ones already shaves off 6g of the AUW, without having to compromise on durability. Especially since many have to watch to keep their quads below the 250g limit, this is a missed opportunity.

The double battery strap also seems like only serving to add weight, and isn't likely to be needed to hold the battery in place. Most people will likely remove it before first flight, and keep it as spare.

Most screws were secure, and build quality seems ok. One screw in the frame had a different head than the others, but it seems that it was just misshaped during production, and since there is a bag of spare screws included, like on the bigger "Wizards", it's easy to replace the odd screw, if you want perfect symmetry in the frame's looks.

3 – Preparing for 1st Flight:

First step was to connect the FC to the computer, and see what firmware and board type we are dealing with. The installed BetaFlight 3.5.5 firmware identifies the board as MatekF411 (MK41) and it seems that very little to no custom settings have been applied.

Apart from the challenge to probably have to do a complete setup, finding a spot for the receiver also can be a challenge. There isn't much room inside the frame, because the quad uses two stacks of two boards to fill the space. Another reviewer went for re-routing the battery wires, and with that create room to insert the receiver between the VTX and LED/Buzzer board.

When you go for this option, it might be smart to trim the metal pins that extend from the top of the LED/Buzzer board, because these might pierce through any protective heat shrink that's put around the receiver, and cause a short. The VTX antenna was secured with a tie wrap and heat shrink:

The FC has already been set for Sbus, so in that case you don't have to change any settings. I left most settings stock, just did the basic things like Modes, and after testing failsafe, it was deemed ready for a first LoS test.

Btw, with receiver and props installed, the lighter aluminium prop nuts, a single battery strap and every VTX and RX antenna secured with heat shrink and tie wrap, the quad registered 153.40g on the scale. That means you can add almost 100g in battery weight and still remain under the 250g weight limit, that more and more countries started to use as restrictions for flying.

4 - Flying Performance:

Sadly, some rain prevented a decent outdoor LoS test, so this was done indoor instead. The quad hovered very stable and had some decent bottom end throttle response, but not much top end, which was to be expected with a too low voltage battery. During the first flight, a few short drops were observed, which were probably caused by "swamping", an effect that some XM+ receivers show when being close to a transmitter, and getting too much signal. Which for a short moment interrupts the control link. Some receivers only have this at less than 50cm distance, some need at least 2m to have a reliable radio link. I guess this receiver belongs to the latter group. Outdoor testing should confirm this, or not.

5 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The FPV system on the Wizard features a Foxeer Arrow Micro Pro CCD camera, with 1.8mm lens. It has a nice neutral color picture, and a built in OSD, which as we will see later, has not been disabled by Eachine.

The VTX is power switchable between 25 and 300mW, with a few steps in between. It has Smart Audio, allowing changing of settings with OSD stick commands.

After this basic info, let's have a look at some flight footage:

Eachine Wizard X140HV - First short test flight (1 min 20 sec)

While quite a bit underpowered, with just a 3S battery, the quad is still agile and smooth. FPV image looks natural and with very little static/interference.

Update 19 may 2019:

Made a longer flight, after disabling Foxeer camera's OSD, and activating BeatFlight OSD.

Longer test flight with the Eachine Wizard X140HV (3 min 11 sec)

Update 22 may 2019:

Finally the new 4S 650mAh battery arrived. So after a charge/storage cycle, to wake it up, it was installed, and this flight was made:

Eachine Wizard X140HV - Test with 4S battery, stock PIDs (4 min 45 sec)

Faster and more power, and still silky smooth, while motors remained cold. It's not as punchy as for instance the Diatone R349, but also no slug, and controls feel really tight so far. It seems a high quality 4S 550mAh would also do well, and with it's lower weight, would improve performance noticably.

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

While a smooth flyer, the lack of prop guards, the frame being quite heavy, but not overly durable, this isn't the best beginner quad.

7 - Preliminary Verdict:

The X140HV has some very good features, when you look beyond flashy gimmicks like the LED glow wire. Motors are smooth, and the FPV system provides a clean and detailed picture. On the downside, the frame is a bit cramped inside, making it hard to install a receiver, and also a bit heavy for a 3 inch.

Some of these drawbacks are rather easy to correct, others, like the frame apparently not being very durable, at least when judging by the crash results of some other reviewers, require more effort to fix. These drawbacks may make it less interesting to get the X140HV, although the price seems ok for the other hardware.

Pros:

- F4 board with BetaFlight OSD
- Buzzer and programmable LEDs, plus LED "cord" in frame bottom, should be well visible during night time
- Nice packaging
- Comes with two full sets of quality props
- Clean FPV signal
- Smooth flyer

Cons:

- VTX antenna not secured
- Rather heavy
- Not much room for receiver install
- Camera's OSD is still active and "competing" with BetaFlight OSD

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 22, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
8 – Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info

Reducing weight:

Since in it's current shape, the X140HV doesn't seem to be really safe to fly on 6S, the only way to wring out some more performance from it on lower voltages, is to decrease weight. One simple way to shave of 6g, is to replace the steel (!) prop nuts with aluminium ones. These are more than strong enough, also being used on faster and more powerful quads, and much lighter. And even better, you reduce the rotational mass of the motors, so these should be able to respond faster to ESC commands, due to reduced inertia.

Also already hinted at in the comments in the posting above this, a double battery strap seems a bit overkill. Especially if being forced to lighter batteries, 4S instead of 6S, a single strap should hold the battery just fine. This will help to lose weight even more.

If you want to take it even further, the LED/Buzzer board is also something to consider removing. The 2 LEDs facing down, don't add any real value, so taking this board out, and replacing with a small buzzer, will also help to lower the AUW of this quad. You can also remove the extra standoffs, so the VTX sits a little lower.

Different Props:

While it would appear the DalProp T3056C is a very "aggressive" prop, with it's 56 pitch, it turns out to be quite a bit less punchy and is slower than the GemFan 3052 or LDARC 3050. The max and average current draw is also quite a bit lower than the GemFan/LDARC props. Since we want to wring as much performance from the low kv motors as possible, if being limited to 4S for stability reasons, replacing the T3056C with 3050/3052 props is another way to gain a little more performance.

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:

- Disable Foxeer Camera's OSD
- Create more space for receiver install
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:34 AM.
May 03, 2019, 10:34 PM
Good process planning
Latest blog entry: Ways to contact me
May 04, 2019, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG-Wilson
Good process planning

I try to be as well prepared as possible, when something new is set to arrive. Hope the shipping of the X140HV goes fast and smoothly.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
May 06, 2019, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I try to be as well prepared as possible, when something new is set to arrive. Hope the shipping of the X140HV goes fast and smoothly.
Finally a true 3" wizard? What about the TS130? I like it very much. Fast and great to fly...

May 06, 2019, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfear
Finally a true 3" wizard? What about the TS130? I like it very much. Fast and great to fly...

Please don't be offended, the title doesn't refer to how it performs. It might very well turn out that the TS130 actually flies better. First, the X140HV hasn't arrived yet, so I can not give any indication on how it flies, and second, I never got the TS130, so even when I get the X140, I still can't compare side by side and declare either one the winner.

What I was referring to, and also tried to explain in the opening words for this topic, is that the TS130 and TS215 don't look like the "archetype" Wizard due to a very different design. The original Wizard series has a square center with x-shaped arms. The TS130 did also get the name Wizard, just like the TS215, it looks very different from the X220, which we've seen in various versions. The TS130 and TS215 follow a completely different design, taking "inspiration" from the Hyperlite Floss series. If you see a TS130 without knowing it's name, you would not think about the Eachine Wizard, it departs a lot from what before that, we've mostly seen from Eachine.

I've edited the opening text a little, trying to make it more clear that the reason to call this a "true Wizard" is purely on how it looks. Hope that explains some things a bit more...
May 08, 2019, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
I changed the title a little, hope the new one sounds better.
May 09, 2019, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Please don't be offended, the title doesn't refer to how it performs. It might very well turn out that the TS130 actually flies better. First, the X140HV hasn't arrived yet, so I can not give any indication on how it flies, and second, I never got the TS130, so even when I get the X140, I still can't compare side by side and declare either one the winner.

What I was referring to, and also tried to explain in the opening words for this topic, is that the TS130 and TS215 don't look like the "archetype" Wizard due to a very different design. The original Wizard series has a square center with x-shaped arms. The TS130 did also get the name Wizard, just like the TS215, it looks very different from the X220, which we've seen in various versions. The TS130 and TS215 follow a completely different design, taking "inspiration" from the Hyperlite Floss series. If you see a TS130 without knowing it's name, you would not think about the Eachine Wizard, it departs a lot from what before that, we've mostly seen from Eachine.

I've edited the opening text a little, trying to make it more clear that the reason to call this a "true Wizard" is purely on how it looks. Hope that explains some things a bit more...
My TS130 is now much happier!!! waiting....
May 09, 2019, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfear
My TS130 is now much happier!!! waiting....

Glad to hear.

Waiting here too. I got tracking number, but even though it's express shipping, I understand, there are no updates. I hope the parcel didn't get stuck in Customs...
May 12, 2019, 12:46 AM
Thread OP
Well, the good news is, I now get updates from the tracking of the parcel. The bad news is that the initial delivery date of monday the 6th, got shifted into the future towards the 13th, at best, maybe even later. Will update this thread as soon as I can.
May 12, 2019, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
Well, it seems the quad has now left Customs clearance, so it should arrive really soon.

Meanwhile, for those who don't wan't to wait for the review, and/or were already considering to get this quad, here's a code for a 12% discount on it:

coupon code:BGX140HV
valid 5/12-5/31
May 15, 2019, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Quad has arrived, first content added.
May 17, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
More content added, as well as first video.
May 19, 2019, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Added new, and longer video. Please check 1st message for it.
May 22, 2019, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
4S video added, please check the first message for it.

Quick Reply