May 02, 2019, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Elevated tail rotor drive options?

Has anyone tried running a independent electric motor for the tail rotor? Is this even feasible?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 06:32 PM

raised tail options

yes it is possible to use electric motor for tail drive
suggest using a drone esc with the longer leads as they also respond to rpm changes faster than a regular esc
there are also gear box options available see vario for setups
May 04, 2019, 07:36 AM
Most of the micro's use motor driven tail and as long as your not doing hard 3D it should be fine. Would be a challenge (at least for me) getting it programmed though. Other options are belts, flexible torque tubes, etc. What are you planning on putting it on?
May 04, 2019, 06:49 PM
Do you want a simple "fixed pitch" tail rotor, like on a micro, or a regular tail rotor that is simply driven by its own motor instead of via a torque tube or belt off the main rotor? A friend of mine did the latter on a Schlueter Heli-Baby, using a custom made tail rotor shaft that doubles as the motor shaft.
May 21, 2019, 09:58 PM
Yes. I made two helis with independent tail motor. One is a 600 Blackhawk and the other one is a 700 Tiger . Blackhawk has the tai rotor directly on the motor shaft. The tiger has a belt drive sistem. If you hear about Cajun hell fest Louisiana or Mayday , I flew the Tiger there. It does fly real good.
May 22, 2019, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Have a TF Models (Aerodyne) AH-1 Cobra that uses Trex 600 ESP mechanics ( I plan on using a HK 600-GT) with a belt to drive the tail. From what I have read most people seem not to like it so am looking into what other possibilities may exist for it.

It uses a new lower set of mainframes to lower the belt in the mechanic's then runs a longer belt thru pulleys to elevate it with an adjustable boom in the tail to set tension. Seems some report a problem maintain belt tension.

RC Aerodyne I believe used to offer a angled torque tube conversion but I don't think it is available anymore. Roban I think has a similar system in their kits but not sure one can get it by itself.

Quick Reply