Nov 14, 2019, 06:58 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks x! Waiting on a few finishing items and maybe I can get it in the air!!!! Getting it ready for a two part clear coat.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 01:27 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Blast tubes.

Temperature got up to 50 so I went outside to make some gun tubes for him. Hanger rash is happening.....
Nov 15, 2019, 02:29 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Before dirt

Blast tubes added. About to scuff it up....
Nov 15, 2019, 06:26 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Touch up and top coat next.

Added some used look to it. And more hanger rash.... My experimental 2 part Matte Clear is here! Might touch hanger rash up a bit and try this (new for me) paint. Try to let it sit for a few days.
Nov 15, 2019, 07:39 PM
Pro Hoarder
Impressive! great work
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 15, 2019, 10:05 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Thanks turbo! It's getting close enough that I'm wondering what to build next.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:12 PM
What can you fuel proof rustoleum with? Thx!
Nov 17, 2019, 09:58 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Maybe this????? EXPERIMENTAL

Hey JBG! Took the plane apart for heavy clear coating with this Saturday morning. Was able to use some more of the can Sunday early evening. It's a 2 part type of paint. You crack a hardener capsule by pressing a secondary button on the bottom. Shake the heck out of it. It might fuel proof Rustoleum and it might not. There used to be several fuel proof clear coats and colors made for the Glow Fuel Hobby that you could use over Rustoleum. Possibly Polyurethanes. They appear to have all gone out of business. I have a little fuel proof Pactra Formula-U olive drab left that's maybe 10 years old. Other like Top Flight, Century 21, and a few others advertised "Fuel Proof". I think they are seriously gone......

Some hobbyists claim that certain Rustoleum spray cans are fuel proof. I don't know. However!!!! I will let you all know what this does in a week or two. It's drying for a couple days and then I will reassemble it and fuel him up! I'm pretty messy so we'll see if it has any resistant properties. Hopefully it's actually fuel proof and will wipe right off.

I like the convenience of a rattle can and to be able to use it again 6 months later stored properly. This 2 part stuff is a whole different way of thinking; monetarily high and it cooks off after a couple days if you don't use it all. Like I've said, this is an experiment.
Nov 19, 2019, 08:36 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Spraymax 2K Clear Matte Experiment.

After spraying the plane with this product last Saturday morning with what I would consider a heavy coat; today, Tuesday afternoon I ran a full tank through it on the rich side and you can see the exhaust residue oils pretty heavy with 20% oil blend/ 10 % Nitro. Took a rag and it wiped right off. No cleaner used! No paint came off. Looks like a viable fuel proofing at least to 10% Nitro.

Noticed it feels as if a shell has been added to the skin of the plane. I will be trying this again over my next paint.
Nov 19, 2019, 11:23 PM
That's good information to know because i'm pretty sure we can get that same spray here in Australia
Nov 30, 2019, 08:42 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Fueled him up and did a short maiden flight yesterday. Very short because my old man skin got cold..... Realized after I landed that I never made any trim changes. Was enough of a flight to barf oily fuel residue along the bottom. It's wiping right off with no paint loss or gumminess happening. I'm sold on it. Video coming of the maiden.
Nov 30, 2019, 10:58 AM
Nitro User
That is great news you earned it!

Dec 01, 2019, 08:17 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP

Maiden Flight video while freezing!

Went to fly the other day and try to get some video for you guys with a head mounted cell phone. Was pretty cold by the third plane I pulled out of the truck. Head mounted filming while flying is not as easy as I wished..... Yes, I need a better camera..... Anyways, watch and listen to the prop stop on landing. Brad and everyone else, thanks for being a fan of me and Grandsonny! Subscribe if you like miniature WWII fighters.
P-47 Razorback Thunderbolt by Hobby Hanger (3 min 29 sec)
Dec 01, 2019, 02:25 PM
Well done you! Did your P-47 need much trim?
Dec 01, 2019, 04:24 PM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Thread OP
Hey crawf! I don't remember making any trim adjustments and I dont hear any beeps associated with trim adjusting during the flight video. I might have just stayed on the controls. Was getting chilly in that valley and the P-47 was the 3rd plane that day. I was getting cold! One thing I do remember was being surprised the flaps didn't seem to pitch the tail up or down. It was a short quick flight.

Weather here has deteriorated severely. Hope I can get out more before spring. Raining today and about to snow....

Quick Reply